What is your worst backlash?

Handlebarz

So this summer I had some new friends out and as it usually happens one had a backlash but this was the worst I have seen Heck it makes the ones Dave Mercer has look small LOL. I took this pick before working on it I was able to get it out as he did not pull on it he just let it stop on its own and with 15 Min or so work it was out.

I did learn a trick for smaller back lashes to get them out it seemed to work OK at times.

You reel the line back onto the spool

then click the reel like your going to cast

start to pull the line from the reel in short hard pulls as you thumb the spool

keep doing this until you hit the knot it should pull free

I was amazed when a friend showed this to me

it works with heavy braid not sure about other lines or light braid.

IMG_3275_zps2398cf9e.jpg

good tips mike!

Ive had a couple that were so bad that the stop of momentum from the backlash caused me to accidentally throw my rod in the water!

Good reason to stay with a full cork handle as itll give you a couple extra seconds to retrieve the rod, not sure if this happens to anyone other than me. in the summer i just jump in after it. in fall you just hit the trolling motor n hope like heck it doesnt sink!

This doesn't match the tread; but reading the subject line this came to mind.

Hey Cath (wife) I'm going fishing with the guys tomorrow.

OOOO NO YOU"RE NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan.

Edited by aplumma
try this instead of mock cussing please

Haha first time using a baitcaster was with John when I went fishing with him in the summer, I had a small one felt pretty silly but he had it good to go in about 5 seconds so it was a good lesson for me haha

Lucas

I usually cast my heaviest lure , then I pull out 2 or 3 rod lengths of line , I then reel on 2 widths of electrical tape , then reel in the line , works like a charm , works well on spinning outfits too , no more deep twists or backlashes .

I've had a few where the weight of the last of the lure used on an outing did not in anyway match the first lure used on the next outing. Ever see the cooking shows where they put the asian noodles in the hot oil? Pfffffffout! Just like expanding foam insulation… How did that get sooo big?

I have an curado 51 that I spooled up with fuoro one time. Cast it a few times with an ultra light jig, then got a wicked bad backlash. Tried for a few minutes to get it out and gave up. Cut the line, ties the lure to my spinning rod and started fishing again. That was the first and last time I used the reel.

Anyone want to buy a used curado with a wicked bird's nest of fluoro on it. It is still in my garage.

I have an curado 51 that I spooled up with fuoro one time. Cast it a few times with an ultra light jig, then got a wicked bad backlash. Tried for a few minutes to get it out and gave up. Cut the line, ties the lure to my spinning rod and started fishing again. That was the first and last time I used the reel.

Anyone want to buy a used curado with a wicked bird's nest of fluoro on it. It is still in my garage.

right or left hand and how much?

My buddy is famous for backlashes, so much so it used to pee me off so bad I almost stopped fishing with him. One outing, while casting, he had the worst BL you ever saw and refused to hand line his bait in. So I had to cast for Muskies on the same spot for 40 min while he sorted it out. As soon as he cleared it and started reeling, a nice 48" pounded his bait. I've never wanted to kill anyone as badly as I did at that moment lol

Lol...

When I was a kid my dad called me "Johnny Tangle"....

One day he was working on a duzy I had created... I started daydreaming... Then I felt a tug on my line... Me being an alert young angler I was... I set the hook forgetting it was in my dad's hands.... He was speachless... And he is usually a "Vocal" person when he's upset... One of the scariest situations I've ever been in... Lol ... I thought he was gunna throw me over the side of the boat...

I will buy it.

Im serious. pm me if interested !

The worst backlashes are the ones that snap off my fav spinnerbaits! :mad:

Been there done that lol... had to be the $10 one too not the clearance $3.00 ones

My worst case "Professional Over Run" was from a cast that my and my daughters met rods somewhere behind my head making a cast....over 1/2 an hour picking that out :(

When I got my first bait caster in the early 80's dad got a spool of the cheapest line.

I would go to the park cast cast cast tangle cut line respool and do it all over until the next bad one then start over again.

I did that for a long time many weeks a month maybe heck I'm not sure how long bit it worked.