Canada Post to stop all door to door serveces in cities

tb4me

I like the community box.

We lost our RR #6 box end of driveway 18 months ago. Not happy in the beginning but we never worry about stopping the mail when we travel and then going to post office to get it started again.

I'm sure if we went away for a month we would need somebody to pick up every couple weeks.

I don't order from US unless they send parcel post, the couriers are only a few days faster and way more expensive.

I like the community box.

We lost our RR #6 box end of driveway 18 months ago. Not happy in the beginning but we never worry about stopping the mail when we travel and then going to post office to get it started again.

I'm sure if we went away for a month we would need somebody to pick up every couple weeks.

I don't order from US unless they send parcel post, the couriers are only a few days faster and way more expensive.

Ditto----except to say that 1 time we didn't get anybody to pick up our mail. What happened? The mailbox got full and CP just held the rest at the nearest station with a note in our mailbox telling us that(the note was a form that they obviously used routinely) Good service, I'd say..

So refreshing to see people standing up for the workers and this service.....as any corporation does to make money, they are making the situation far worse than it really is.........this is a government trying to get rid of middle class Canada.........all jobs either taken away or exported.....first it was Heinz, then it was Kellogs, now the Post Office.........Mr. Harper is the worst thing for Canada. No true education for our children, a green plan that is failing miserably, horrible health care and the attempted forced extinction of the middle class man or woman. Time for change.

Pssssst...you can blame the union and their unwillingness to sacrifice extremely overpaid jobs for the Kellogg's plant closing. It has nothing to do with the government and everything to do with the fact that Kellogg's wanted to cut less than 1/4 of the jobs at the factory to save the rest and the union workers refused. The result is closed doors thanks to the union workers not willing to make sacrifices to cut operating costs.

Pretty much every time you hear of a factory or business closing up these days it's union run. Coincidence? ;)

I've always had door to door mail delivery so it will be a big change for me, but it's not really a big deal. Who is going to be paying for all these mail boxes that will need to be built, installed, and maintained?

After the postal strike was over, CP got rid of all the grey metal mail route boxes in our area. They held the mail for the carrier that did the 'to the door deliveries'. It was the drop box, so to speak. One large van would deliver the mail each day to those boxes. Then with all the money they saved during the strike, and probably a lot more to boot, they bought each carrier, one of the small Ford tradesman vans, that are made in Turkey. Makes sense right? They are now the grey boxes with wheels..lol

Now in 5 years or less those vehicles will be toast, as well as the folks that drove them. And they can then buy 'super boxes' for us, all in the name of saving money.

The biggest question I have is 'will putting the price of a stamp up to $1, cover the costs of the pensions/packages for those 5000-8000 people that will be retiring/leaving?

I don't think so.

I've had to the door delivery for the last 35 years. I will miss it, and the good folks that brought it!

Edited by floatman55

Lol yup that's the scene you see at all mailboxes, garbage mail strewn all over the place. Does anyone even look at those things to buy from?

I have never seen anything like that at my mailbox. Come to think over it, I don't recall ever seeing a single piece of garbage at any of the three or four mailboxes I've used over the years. I didn't know a city in Canada exists that has residents that are the kind of inconsiderate slobs that would generate that kind of mess, and it's surprising (and disheartening) to learn otherwise.

They say they will focus more on packages, package security and internet delivery, so maybe it's not a bad move, the shipping industry will only grow bigger in the future. I guess we'll see how much the Government interferes, which they shouldn't.

There is money to be made with this crown corp., so let it grow! And pay your people well for frigs sake, I'd rather see the money in the hands of the lower-middle class than only the people who can afford to be shareholders.

And yes, CP is much more affordable than Purolator and the likes...I can't believe the cost of shipping via those firms. Who the heck can afford that, it just makes everything more expensive.

And pay your people well for frigs sake,

Like I said,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Pay yer dues,and get what in return? The fat guy got fed.

Do you really think the union head guy cares??????????????????

NO HE DOSENT.

FEED ME,FEED ME. And you do.

Lay off slips come. Oh my. What now??.How do I feed my family?

Work for you,not for them.

They dont care.

FEED ME,FEED ME.

I just got caught up in something I said I wouldnt AGAIN. DAMIT.

NON UNION HARD HONEST WORKER I AM...

Atleast,I know I dont need big brother,to watch over me.

THERE ARE LAWS FOR THAT NOW

Edited by Misfish