Really?? Not sure... NF

TJQ

Poor choice. Quiet stretch, no one around, then sure you do what you need to. Tire iron, rock, whatever. On Bethune in the middle of the day, couple of kids watching and the OPP probably pretty close in that area. Discretion needed perhaps!

Well what did you want him to do, go back and forth over it a few times with his truck.

Well what did you want him to do, go back and forth over it a few times with his truck.

There is an OPP detachment in bracebridge from my recollection, and no doubt there is a gravenhurst car. I personally would've waited and let them shoot the bear, rather than be photographed stoning it to death in front of kids on Bethune drive. I am a hunter of many many years, and have dispatched my share of animals, but sometimes discretion is needed. Undoubtedly he wouldn't have been investigated by anyone if he had waited a short while. Nonetheless you are free to do as you see fit with the next bear you hit!

There is an OPP detachment in bracebridge from my recollection, and no doubt there is a gravenhurst car. I personally would've waited and let them shoot the bear, rather than be photographed stoning it to death in front of kids on Bethune drive. I am a hunter of many many years, and have dispatched my share of animals, but sometimes discretion is needed. Undoubtedly he wouldn't have been investigated by anyone if he had waited a short while. Nonetheless you are free to do as you see fit with the next bear you hit!

Would the OPP officer have shot it? Do they have a policy on this; or, is it up to the officer?

Just imagine the news story if the officer arrived and shot it, the news story would read something like this "trigger happy police officer kills bear cub". Most of these folks will stop their car, and gawk as the animal suffers, but will cry bloody murder if someone decides to end it's suffering.

The police routinely dispatch hit by car animals. Heck often the humane society or dog pound guy does in rural areas. I don't believe that would've made the news at all. I'm really not against what the guy did, but if it had been me in that rather public situation with a bunch of cars backed up behind me in the middle of the day on a busy roadway, well I'm waiting for police to deal with it, but fhen again I've always been a stay off the front page type of guy!

Ya. This is to bad to here. Im sure the guy was just doing what he thought was best for te bear. Hopefully not just to put some free meat in his freezer.

You really need to watch what you do these days. Everyone has a video camera in there cell phone, and love to use them...

Agreed with the 'busy road' assessment. Leave it, stay low key and don't take a chance at being posted all over the internet. As much as I'd want to dispatch the hurt animal, if I knew I'd be all over the internet for it, I'd sit quickly in my truck enjoying the irony of some people thinking that it's best to leave the animal suffer because the visuals aren't 'as bad'.

Nature moves on anyway, we have cars, there will be accidents, blood will be spilled, get over it. Sucks to be this guy.

Well you know which way this would have gone if he hadn't done what he did. "Crazy motorist runs over bear in a hit and run fashion leaving the injured animal to die a slow and agonizingly painful death". He should have stopped and dispatcherd it with whatever means at hand. :whistling:

he shouldve just called animal control and let them do it quick and easy and not beat the thing to death, imagine being injured like that and have some guy smash a rock on your head trying to "put you out of your misery"

Although a bear is very similar to a human with its hide off...dont confuse the two....

he shouldve just called animal control and let them do it quick and easy and not beat the thing to death, imagine being injured like that and have some guy smash a rock on your head trying to "put you out of your misery"

Beat the thing to death? You should work for a media outlet.

"serial bear smasher murders Pooh's sister in public bludgening; bear rape suspected"

Peoples reaction to death never cease to amaze me. The bottom line here is that bear was going to die.

The guy had two choices. Watch it suffer a long, slow, painful death....or put it out of its misery.

Comparing it to a person is just messed up.

You ever heard the sound a dying bear makes?? It aint pretty!!

S.