Please recommend a one man ice shelter

redpearl99

Im looking to get an ice shelter for this year. I dont have a snowmobile or tow vehicle so it has to be a shelter i can pull. Im looking to get a one man flip up shelter but dont really know which one is the most practical to pull with a rope.

I would ideally like a pull-able flip up shelter that has a sled with enough storage room to fit my auger, rods and tip ups

Having owned all varieties over the years, I would have to say the most useful to me is the hub style. I still have a 2 man fish trap, but I never use it. I just toss a 2 man hub style shelter on the rack of my ATV, or in the toboggan if I'm on foot, and i am good to go. Only takes me a few minutes to set and secure if i find a hot bite, and I can break it down really quickly. Often times I don't want to fish from a shelter if the weather is decent, so this works for me. If your set on the tub style with a flip over shelter, i have always had pretty good value from the fish trap line! Your mileage may vary!

Edited by porkpie

I like my Frabil. ;)

Either the Recon or Commando will fit your needs.

If you are on foot you would do well to build a Smitty Sled to haul you sled on as they glide through deep snow much better than theplastic sleds that come with these flip overs come with.

Lots of info on Smitty sleds on the web.

https://www.google.ca/#q=smitty+sled

Having owners all varieties over the years, I would have to say the most useful to me is the hub style. I still have a 2 man fish trap, but I never use it. I just toss a 2 man hub style shelter on the rack of my ATV, or in the toboggan if I'm on foot, and i am good to go. Only takes me a few minutes to set and secure if i find a hot bite, and I can break it down really quickly. Often times I don't want to fish from a shelter if the weather is decent, so this works for me. Your mileage may vary!

I have a pop up as well but it only see's uses during early ice when I'm walking out to my fishing spot.

My 2 man flip over gets put into service as soon as the ice is safe for snowmobile travel.

I find it much faster and easier to switch spots than having to take my hub down and load it into the toboggan and reverse the process at the next spot.

My flip over stays connected to my snowmobile and if it's nice I don't have to do anything but sit and fish as my seats are built in and I don't need to put the top up.

i enjoyed my 2man (pop up not flipover) clam 2000, it was very light and the price was good....it was pretty darn light to pull bby hand. Im pulling a clam nanook now, little heavier, but I enjoy it.......wish I had info on a 1 man for yuh, but as jeff stated I heard great things about the frabil recon and the genz units

I have a Clam fish trap pro... Love it...

It's more of a 1.5 man hut...

I can fit everything I need in it...

Minnow Pail...

Buddy heater...

Sonar...

5 gallon pail...

Tackle box...

Rod caddy...

Auger...

And has a built in swivel seat...

And has a zipper door so you don't have to "break the seal" of snow around the hut on a cold windy day....

I'm 6'4" and I have plenty of room...

I've even squeezed a second person in on nasty days... It's tight... And your snuggling pretty close... But I've done it...

how big are the lakes you fish regularly? how far are you hand pulling?

I have a 2 man otter flip over, insulated, 90 lbs plus auger and gear, you can hand pull it but hit some deep or slushy spots and you feel it

use a long rope to hand pull, makes it easier on you, I use one of my 20' tow straps

If I was strictly hand pulling, I'd get a light weight sled (not the heavy otter magnums lol) and a pop up tent.....I was looking at the new eskimo and clam insulated pop ups, they look pretty nice

I have a Clam fish trap pro... Love it...

It's more of a 1.5 man hut...

I can fit everything I need in it...

Minnow Pail...

Buddy heater...

Sonar...

5 gallon pail...

Tackle box...

Rod caddy...

Auger...

And has a built in swivel seat...

And has a zipper door so you don't have to "break the seal" of snow around the hut on a cold windy day....

I'm 6'4" and I have plenty of room...

I've even squeezed a second person in on nasty days... It's tight... And your snuggling pretty close... But I've done it...

X2 for the fish trap pro. The sled part is actually the same sled as the fish trap...the top is just mounted sideways onto the sled part compared to the Fish Trap. This layout is 100 times better then any one man flip IMHO because you have room beside you for stuff rather then always having to reach behind you for gear/food etc.

X2 for the fish trap pro. The sled part is actually the same sled as the fish trap...the top is just mounted sideways onto the sled part compared to the Fish Trap. This layout is 100 times better then any one man flip IMHO because you have room beside you for stuff rather then always having to reach behind you for gear/food etc.

Yep, what he said. I've had a few different brands, and this one is the best IMO.

S.

At BPS this afternoon,man are those huts looking nice.All makes,some of the prices I was shocked at,but the quality from what I saw is sure getting better.

Coudn't believe the amount of sleighs being sold in the 1 hour I was there.The clams are sure looking sweet!!!!!!!!!!!.Good luck in your hunt!

I had read that the Clam's weren't that easy to put due to the design of the sled, many say that they plow the snow (someone already suggested a "Smitty Sled").

Do you have a truck or van to put it in?

I needed one to fit in the trunk/back seat of my Chevy Cruze so I picked up a Eskimo Quick Flip 1 at LeBaron last week (no tax sale!). Looks to be built pretty well..... I like the method of securing the poles - they are not screwed to plate on only one side like the Clam's - they fit between two plates of steel and are bolted through. At about 45lbs its fairly light and the sled has a nice ramp to it so it should pull ok I think. Most important, it fits in the car (Clam Kenai would not).

I did a bit of research on the one man flips, I travel to the US frequently thus the US stores:

one man flip huts.jpg

Burt :)

Edited by Burtess

I will be buying an Eskimo pop tent this year. Light and easy to carry. Like a back pack. Drag a small kids sled with the days supplies. Walking out this year with a 2pc Ice Armore suit should be real nice,compared to the one pc.

You will enjoy it! I am a convert from the clam flip overs! They really don't take much more effort to set up!

I've been doing some poking around for ice huts as well. This Fatfish 1 looks good----it's quite a bit cheaper

than QuikFlip. Anyone know why?

http://www.basspro.com/Eskimo-FatFish-767-PopUp-Portable-Ice-Shelter/product/1304260302/

It's a popup/hub type shelter while the Quick flip is a flipover that comes with it's own sled.

the pop up tents are fine if you don't move around -- just setup and fish from the same spot all day but if you need mobility the flip up style are much better imo.

Edited by Raf