Please recommend a one man ice shelter

redpearl99

the pop up tents are fine if you don't move around -- just setup and fish from the same spot all day but if you need mobility the flip up style are much better imo.

Using a popup or hub style hut doesn't really take that much longer to setup once you get the hang of it.

For 3 winters I used a Clam 2000 suitcase style hut and was fairly happy with it and it was easy tp pull by hand, but I really didn't like how I needed to load and unloaded everything from on top of the hut as the hut acts as your sled when it's collapsed.

I then sold that and used a Clam Yukon TC for a few winters and was very happy with it. But, I don't have a garage and that hut is large and heavy which was a slight pain as carrying it into the basement to dry out after each trip wasn't fun. Due to it's size it also meant I had no option but to tow the trailer every time I went fishing as a hut that size definitely needed the ATV to get around.

I'm now using a Clam tamarack hub style and am very happy with it as it's light and quick to setup while providing more space than the Yukon and is much more portable as all of my gear fits in a 5' sled that I pull by hand. I keep all of my gear in the sled and simply setup the hut over my sled so all of my gear doesn't need to be loaded/unloaded for every move and it stays in the hut with me staying warm and dry. It's also much nicer using this hut with the ATV as everything fits on the machine meaning I'm not forced to tow a trailer every outing which saves a nice chunk of change every winter.

It takes maybe 30 seconds longer to setup the hub style over the flip style. With the flip you need to extend the poles inside and flip it over you while for the hub you pop out the sides and you're good to go.

Clam has very good customer service and it is that couple with quality products which makes me stick with them. A few years back a sharp piece of plastic on the Clam 2000 caused a 2-3" tear in the tarp. I emailed them with the expectation of getting a free patch kit or maybe a discounted tarp. A couple weeks later the delivery man showed up with a brand new replacement hut free of charge! :clapping: