140,000+ white fish released into lake Simcoe.

misfish

Oh I wish they would open it for cisco! We were perch fishing on Simco two years ago and a school of cisco moved in. We ended up having to move because you couldn't get your bait to bottom without another cisco hitting it. Fun to catch, I'd love to try smoking some so open up the season.

So do most keep the clipped fish and let the wild ones go? I have never caught a whitefish (maybe this year!), you can't pan fry or bbq them? What do they taste like?

Burt :)

The one we caught in August didn't have any clipped fins.You probably couldn't find a better tasting fresh water fish imo.Others come close,but that was a real treat.And the fact they have been invisible the last couple years,beggars can't be choosers lol.

Edited by davey buoy

Yuck those little grease balls are terrible. Come up to nipissing and get yer fill lol.

No worms here.LOL

Smoked dry. Da best.

If they open them up,I will show and share my way of doing them up. :worthy:

So do most keep the clipped fish and let the wild ones go? I have never caught a whitefish (maybe this year!), you can't pan fry or bbq them? What do they taste like?

Whities are the most mild fish you will taste.. Fantastic.

Edited by Misfish

Whitefish taste worlds apart from herring, and are delicious fried. Herring are way oiler and terrible when cooked conventionally. I imagine they would be good smoked though.

I do... Wild ones are usually smaller and from what I've noticed have a golden tinge to them. Stockers I'll keep for the oldman.

Good job on the restocking. :good:

A group of us were up on Nippissing years ago in an ice bungalow. We were catching a bit of everything including herring. A few of the guys had never tried it so we kept a few that I cleaned up and cooked for the group. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed them and wished we had kept a few more. Just fried up in some fish crisp and it was a big hit. I certainly wish they'd open the season on Simcoe back up for them. It's long over do with the numbers that people are reporting.

Oh I wish they would open it for cisco! We were perch fishing on Simco two years ago and a school of cisco moved in. We ended up having to move because you couldn't get your bait to bottom without another cisco hitting it. Fun to catch, I'd love to try smoking some so open up the season.

There still in that area Cliff. Wouldn't leave us alone last year either. They even seem to be getting more plentiful and slightly larger too.

Here in the bay,we are catching small 10-12" inchers. Another class added to the 4-5 that are out there now. They seem to be breeding well.

If they open the herring on Lake Simcoe they better put strict limits on them or they will just be wiped out again. Those things are going to give us some nice size lakers if the population is sustained.

I totally agree. MAX 6 LIMIT. But hearing that maybe they will be part of the white fish limit. Either 2 whities/or two herring or one white and a herring. Guess this would make for not confussing the two for those that cant tell the difference.

I'm pretty sure they do.

From what I read Bill,they havent stocked for a few years.

You will also notice they have been dropping the water levels on simcoe earlier then before the last few years. They figure the lakers are spawning. When they use to lower the water before,they believe they were leaving eggs to die.

Edited by Misfish

I'm pretty sure they stock Simcoe every 2 years with both lakers and whities. I've read a few articles where it said they wanted to reduce the number of fish stocked in order for a self sustaining population to take over, but no mention of stopping stocking completely.

they've been stocking Simcoe for years no? All those ciscos aren't helping either! Need to open up a season on them.

yep. caught two the other day in 30 ft of water. Both were about 18 inches long

Edited by Cudz