Out of Curiosity, What's the Procedure...

Rich

Well I would think that to turn it in would be the right thing to do !!!!! What about if the gun was used in a murder or something like that and you were found to be in possession of it ???? Oh man that would not be good would it !!!! Hmmmm ....especially if it was a newer gun ??? If it was an old antique gun maybe different but if it was a new gun I would be concerned for sure !!!!!

you need to turn it in to the cops

like anything found if it wasn't stolen or used in a crime , if not claimed in 30 days it should be yours

on the other hand if you just keep it and they run a check on it while you are hunting and they find it was stolen or used in a crime, they will have a hard time believing you caught it while fishing

I know someone that knows someone, that found a hand gun in a metal case along the Grand River..He was actually dumb enough to take it home..I have no idea what the out come was, but I would have just called local police with my GPS info on where I was..Then stay there fishing untill they arrive. Ya never know why a gun would be in the water..But I wouldn't be taking any chances

Personally I’d try to turn it into the police. A few times a year they have those Pistols for Pixels programs going on where you can swap the gun for a free digital camera so that's another incentive. Not having any experience with guns (aside from the old school Nintendo duck hunt gun.LOL), I’d probably call someone to retrieve it (most likely the cops). I wouldn’t know if the gun was in a position to fire or if the water somehow damaged the gun putting it in an unsafe state.

Anything turn in to the police is police propriety.

Call the local police and make a police report. When they say" we will pick that up say no".

In 30 days you can get a quick claim from the police and you own it.

This experience is from a boat and 20 years later a 20 hp Yamaha.

I expect with a gun you will need to stand your ground.

Yep, you have to report it, or toss it back. As soon as you have it, your in possession of a restricted firearm, and can't even move it legally.

I'd check to make sure its not loaded first though......and for god sakes, keep it pointed in a safe direction!

S.