River and a sink shot - mostly NF

Rod Caster

Since I've moved into my new house, it's been nothing but extremes. Either working extremely hard or having way too much fun. TV is no longer a part of our household and therefore the firepit has become our new viewing screen.

IMG-20130724-00581_zps6fe510b2.jpg

IMG-20130804-00601_zpsd4972e73.jpg

My main objective is to prepare enough wood for the coming winter season; I know its late to get started so I'm trying that much harder. A new chainsaw, $300 three wheeler, my trusty Mazda Truck, several axes and splitters have become my new best friends, although the saw has a terrible attitude and I get the feeling it's in a bad place in life, it just keeps breaking down. I build a holz hausen (round house) to dry my wood quicker. I'm separating the remaining split pieces into single cords on pallets. This is the first time in years I yearn for a drought....dry wood, dry!

IMG-20130804-00598_zpsf6932673.jpg

As per one of my last topics, I DID "lease" out my land to a hunter. I really lucked out with this guy as he has a very good reputation and infact has been on hunting shows on WildTV. He only wants bear, a game I'm not yet interested in. After many meetings, phone conversations and on-going emails, we came to a written "barter" agreement clearly stated out expectations. I don't even have my hunting license yet (sept 22 I'm booked in) so its a perfect time to try this out...although I'm hoping we can make this a long term thing, as does he.

So far, I've seen a fisher, several partridge, bear cubs, deer and tons of rabbits on the property. It's total heaven here; so much mixed forest, most of it very dense and completely unexplored.

I also managed to find the river, which is quite far back there. No trails called for bark-etching as I found my way deep into the bush. I brought my rod and a small panther martin spinner, but didn't see any brook trout action. Hoping to get back there again soon for a more thorough fishing excursion.

what do you think? Does this look like brookie waters? There are very few homes backing onto the entire river system.

IMG-20130720-00578_zpse9206816.jpg

IMG-20130720-00576_zpsffaa1865.jpg

One thing I've been doing is foraging to mushrooms. I bought a field guide, read it up, down, sideways and cross-referenced every piece of information I could. Chantrelles are a great addition to dinner, they fetch a lot of money at high-end restaurants (they aint getting mine :) ) and seem to be quite abundant around here. I've been having a blast finding my side-dish in my back-yard between cutting/stacking wood.

IMG-20130804-00600_zps65fc068e.jpg

IMG-20130804-00599_zps98bf861d.jpg

Thanks for reading; now I'm gonna go pick to raspberries to put into my cereal, then I'm gonna go visit the wood pile.

Awesome new place man. The water looks prime. The mushrooms are super tasty and great to harvest because there is VERY little cleaning to do on them. Some people have stomach aches from eating too many chanterelles, like a gut rot feeling, but ts very rare, enjoy those tasty shrooms :canadian:

Thanks for the kind words!

That river looks good to me. I would love your location, but my wife would hate it.

My wife says she loves the outdoors, but she's been doing nothing but cleaning since we got here :) Fine by me as I'd rather swing the axe than swing a swiffer.

No tv, lots of outdoor chores, fishin' and huntin'….. You'll live to a hundred at least.

At 11:00 this morning, after 100 swings at a knotted piece of fresh oak with an 8lbs head, I felt like I wouldn't reach 31 haha.

Great place! Why don't you host an OFC wood chopping get together? ;)

You have no idea how much I would like the free labour...errrr, I mean meet and greet :whistling:

Awesome new place man. The water looks prime. The mushrooms are super tasty and great to harvest because there is VERY little cleaning to do on them. Some people have stomach aches from eating too many chanterelles, like a gut rot feeling, but ts very rare, enjoy those tasty shrooms :canadian:

I'll keep the stomach ache warning in mind...I think most wild-edible mushrooms cause negative reactions in some people, although like you said it's not the rule rather the exception.

Very nice buddy. I am gonna wheelie the hell outta that big red!

And you know theres monster brookies in that first pool

hahaha, You are the only person I'm gonna make wear a helmet.

Nothing wrong with splitting wood by hand.. the way my mother did it... I've been doing 2 of these truck loads a day for the last week or so and find it's actually about twice to three times as fast as using the hydraulic splitter (and a great stress reliever to boot) A bush cord per truck... that's not mine btw or I wouldn't be loading it like that! lol

Good to see you enjoying Life Chad... many could learn a thing or two here as you venture forward!!

Nothing wrong with splitting wood by hand.. the way my mother did it... I've been doing 2 of these truck loads a day for the last week or so and find it's actually about twice to three times as fast as using the hydraulic splitter (and a great stress reliever to boot) A bush cord per truck... that's not mine btw or I wouldn't be loading it like that! lol

Good to see you enjoying Life Chad... many could learn a thing or two here as you venture forward!!

I get heart palpitations just looking at all that wood cut and split

Now that is a bush cord. My Mazda takes half of that.

Lots of people are telling me to get a hydraulic splitter as if splitting by hand is the worst thing ever. I'll pass on a splitter at least for the first couple years...

Someone posted this a few years ago. Not sure if you saw it the first time, or if you are inclined but what the heck. :dunno:

I'll need a big tire for those 24' oak sections I have haha. Good idea for non-hardwoods. I gotta smack and move around the yellow birch pieces like 5 or 6 times each.

Way to go Chad. Are the deer flies and horse flies keeping you company?

Two weeks ago they were brutal, but they are essentially non-existant since. Only mosquitos bugging me now...usually starting at around 8pm.

Feel like doing some trail riding after work sometime this week?