Dead Bass after Weekend Tourney

esoxansteel

Anyone who thinks that us "tournament" guys are a bunch of knuckle-heads, environment-destroying fish-killers, is a MORON.

Us "tournament" guys probably do and know more about the conservation of fisheries than any of the tree-huggers out there that are throwing rocks....

And what does the type of boat have anything to do with it? I'd put money on it that WAY MORE fish are harmed/killed from (less experienced) fisherman than from guys in bass boats.

Typically people that run bass boats are dedicated/hardcore fisherman that are EXTREMELY concerned about the conservation of our fisheries.

Typically from what I see people who run bass boats are people with a lack of fishing ability that just want the glory of looking professional.

"Professional bass fishing" .. really that sounds funny.

However there are the actual tournament guys. The guys that bought their bass boat and every piece of equipment surrounding it for a specific purpose to do with bass fishing. These guys are conservationists. These guys follow rules. These guys take care of the waters and respect other anglers. And these guys DON'T throw back floaters.

The passion lives on! I have just found that the Kawarthas are getting very busy of late and that puts everyone on edge. People jump all over seeing dead fish after a tournament, which we all hope that the tournament is not at fault, but like others have said; the meat hunters are the ones to worry about. I have my own pet peeves about tournaments, but they are not illegal, so not much I can do about them. I do find myself visiting other lakes during the busy times.

Anyone who thinks that us "tournament" guys are a bunch of knuckle-heads, environment-destroying fish-killers, is a MORON.

Us "tournament" guys probably do and know more about the conservation of fisheries than any of the tree-huggers out there that are throwing rocks....

And what does the type of boat have anything to do with it? I'd put money on it that WAY MORE fish are harmed/killed from (less experienced) fisherman than from guys in bass boats.

Typically people that run bass boats are dedicated/hardcore fisherman that are EXTREMELY concerned about the conservation of our fisheries.

If this were a scene in a movie right about now there would be silence and the camera would cut quickly to blank stares and blinking eyes and in the background a fading awkward cough.

I think the REAL question is, should there be a governing body (or something similar) that will stop FOUR tournaments in ONE body of water, in ONE week - like there was during this example.

There really should be an official body that oversees tournament schedules throughout Ontario. And a special horsepower levy/tax on anyone using over a 9.9...

I think the REAL question is, should there be a governing body (or something similar) that will stop FOUR tournaments in ONE body of water, in ONE week - like there was during this example.

That's insane.

There really should be an official body that oversees tournament schedules throughout Ontario. And a special horsepower levy/tax on anyone using over a 9.9...

LMAOOOOOO

Ya, and might as well tax anyone that doesnt drive a Chevy Volt as well....

Last time I checked 9.9 HP motors use GAS too. LOL

Frankly, it doesn't much matter if there are a few dead fish or a thousand, in the end the only figure that matters is the number of live fish out there. If there is no evidence that the population is declining, what's the problem? If there IS evidence that the population is declining, THEN it's a problem.

Frankly, it doesn't much matter if there are a few dead fish or a thousand, in the end the only figure that matters is the number of live fish out there. If there is no evidence that the population is declining, what's the problem? If there IS evidence that the population is declining, THEN it's a problem.

:good:

And there wasn't 4 tournaments out of 4 locations.

You fish 1 tournament sat. and your points apply to 2 different divisions, and on Sunday you fish 1 tournament and your pts apply to 2 different divisions.

So there was really 1 tournament sat. 60 boats 1 tournament Sunday 40 boats.

The cottagers running around on a nice weekend would double and triple the gas/oil consuming of this tournament.

For me tubing is a mindless pursuit, doesn't even look fun, cause all kinds of crazy waves bouncing boats around docks and just generally a waste of gas. PUT IT'S THEIR MONEY

And theirs likely to be 2-3 times as many rec fishermen on the Tri Lakes on any week end.

Tournaments are visible and these guys/girls can catch fish.

What does the number of tournaments have to do with anything?? We have club tournaments with 4 boats. The B1 will have more than 160 boats.

Zero knowledge = ridiculous statements

with folks wanting.

tournament regulations-who pays. the mnr are overwhelmed-underfunded..

as for hp regs. seems a fruitless endeavour.

mnr biologist survey species populations and sportsfishing quotas.

screaming for permits/laws is a very slippery slope..

yes fish can die. heck people eat fish.

This whole argument about HP on a boat and everything is a bit crazy. I mean to be honest with you, you could fish a tournament essentially the same if everyone was limited to 4 strokes and 115's or less. It would mean getting to a spot at 40mph versus 60-80mph. What would that mean in the kawarthas? maybe 5 minutes of fishing time at most. Would that mean less pollution? I dunno, maybe a little. Would it make a difference in the grand scheme. Not likely as its been proven that the new line of 2 strokes don't pollute like they used to. So I think the environmental impact would be negligible at best.

What about safety? Well considering that most bass tourney anglers are very keenly aware of there surroundings and skilled at piloting there crafts. Certainly jet ski's and tubers and drunk joy riders present more of a danger. So there would be no real safety benefit to limiting the HP of a bass boat.

As for the fish, well it wouldn't really matter what boat people fished out of even to Frodo's point they would still catch the same number of fish so the number of mortalities wouldn't be any better. I would argue they would be worse as sometimes getting a fish in and out asap is easier with faster boats. So in my eyes mortality is lessened by better and faster boats.

And heck the taxes from gas alone from a good sized field of boats is upwards of 5k dollars into the federal and provincial coffer. So reducing the gas consumed reduces that revenue. Not to mention the money in the pocket to the local stations.

I have already stated that If all of a sudden catch and release tournaments were stopped you would have 100 boats out there anyway catching and likely keeping fish. Tourney guys do not keep bass. Certainly not big bass. I can guarantee you I would have about five or more 6+ pounders on my wall if I wasn't a tourney angler. Instead I just have pictures. Catch and release programs owe a huge debt to bass tournaments. I can't possibly see how any angler would have anything bad to say about a tournament. If you are an avid fisherman and a catch and release fisherman then you owe debt to the tourney anglers that paved the way for catch and release fishing.

Also you probably don't know this but many Bass clubs and tournament anglers work hard every year on conservation projects. I urge you all to read more at http://ontariobass.com/conservation/ I am proud to be part of the Hawgtown Bass club and I know this club works very hard every year. I would like to show me any joint effort of people in 9.9hp tin boats what group efforts are made towards conservation. If you are a Bass angler or want to be I would suggest you consider looking up a local BASS chapter and consider joining a club as a boater or a non boater.

Sorry, I can't agree with this statement jedimaster. Yes, most tournament anglers have driven these types of boats for years and have that knowledge and skill. But anyone can walk into a marina and walk out a bass boat owner, with no clue on driving those machines, join tournaments and call themselves pros. They're the scary ones. That's if they have the $$$$$ to do it. I have had plenty of near swamps from bass boats. Even experienced guys get a quick reminder at times, just ask JP Derose.

Sorry, I know this post was about dead bass and I went off topic.

What about safety? Well considering that most bass tourney anglers are very keenly aware of there surroundings and skilled at piloting there crafts.

My trailer park is on is on the east side of Pigeon Lake. We had the wind blowing everything to our shore all week last week. I saw a few dead carp and a lot of dead sunfish/bluegill. Not one bass. The water was stupid warm, of course there will be dead fish. This article sounds like the old man 'Get off my lawn' syndrome.

^^^^

I agree with everything jimmer said above.

Just because a guy has a 60 or 70 MPH bassboat doesn't make him a good boat driver anymore than having a 150 MPH Corvette make you safe on city streets.

Sorry, I can't agree with this statement jedimaster. Yes, most tournament anglers have driven these types of boats for years and have that knowledge and skill. But anyone can walk into a marina and walk out a bass boat owner, with no clue on driving those machines, join tournaments and call themselves pros. They're the scary ones. That's if they have the $$$$$ to do it. I have had plenty of near swamps from bass boats. Even experienced guys get a quick reminder at times, just ask JP Derose.

Sorry, I know this post was about dead bass and I went off topic.

What does "call themselves pros" have to do with anything??

This thread has hints of "I don't want a bassboat so you shouldn't either". Yes, anyone can buy a bassboat and drive like a maniac. Is that not true about most fuel powered vehicles? Sport bikes...cars.

The abundance of narrow minded stereotyping is surprising. If the act of operating or owning a bassboat were illegal, then the complaints would be valid. If this came to fruition the yacht, seadoo, cigarette and speed boat owner had better beware. Imagine heading to your fishing spot in your mandated 115hp four stroke while a parade of legal water vessels fly by. After all, they disqualified if caught operating their gas-powered engine without everyone wearing a life jacket, being tethered to a working kill switch, having a drop of alcohol on board, reported by ANYONE seeing them break a slow zone speed limit, or not having all mandated safety equipment on board.

Earlier this year I was approached on the water by the NY state police on a cold windy day. I was the only boat out along the particular stretch of water. They politely asked to see my son's and my fishing licences. They were very polite and friendly. I asked if they wanted to see safety equipment. Nope. I mentioned that it was the first time I had ever been approached and I'm out 30+ days a year on the river. He reply was "It not you guys we worry about". I've had them drive around me to stop two guys in a 14' aluminum. More than once!

So making negative blanket statements which target bassboats and their owners is no more intelligent than a thread suggesting a ban on 14' aluminum boats based on a few beer drinking, meat hunting, safety absent boaters.