Left Handed Muskie Fisherman - A Dying breed

Lunkerhunter

so apparently reel manufacturers have started to forget or ignore the fact that there are still musky fisherman who reel with there left hand and like high end reels. I am currently in the market to pick up a new muskie reel and i was hoping to get a high speed reel for my jerkbait rod. I was hoping to get a low profile reel with a high gear ratio.

i have several Abu Garcia Revo Toro's in the winch model and the original Toro model. I was really hoping to get a Toro High Speed to round out my set ups. well i was in for a surprise when i started to look for a tackle shop in GTA to pick up a high speed reel.

I called everyone from JB's to Gagnons including the big box stores and nobody had a high speed reel in muskie size! shimano makes the tranx which is right hand only, and the curado EJ which is also right hand only.

Abu Garcia as i mentioned makes the Toro High Speed but its right hand only.

so i was left with one option the Daiwa Lexa 300 HSL which is left hand retrieve and reels in 32 inches of line per crank. the only downside is it is still a bit small(comparable in size to the curado 300) Thankfully fellow musky nut Stacy at protackle sorted me out and i think i have found a suitable replacement.

Since when did left hand retrieve get left in the dark with no reels/models? is cost/profits steering reel manufacturers to just simply stop producing high end reels in left hand retrieve? how many fisherman on this boar reel with there left??

I did a bunch of research to see which reels pick up the most line per crank so if anyone else is looking for a high speed reel, here is the line per crank for the following reels. I thought i would share it with the community.

Revo Toro 60 High Speed - 30.9 inches

Revo Toro 60 NAcl - 26 inches

Revo Toro 60 Winch - 22 inches

Shimano Calcutta 400D - 27 inches

Shimano Curado EJ - 32 inches

Daiwa Lexa 300HSL - 32.4 Inches

Daiwa is also going to release a 400 series Lexa with a power handle and it brings in 37 inches per crank!!

Since you are a dying breed, and can't get reels, I would like to help you out by taking all your St Croix LT rods. That's what friends are for.

Seriously though - I don't get it - and am curious to know the reel makers reasons. It must all come down to profitability. Write them a stern-worded letter stating that they are a bunch of "handists"!

Pete

Funny I am a lefty in every thing I do except for baitcasters... It feels natural to use my left arm to control the rod not crank the real. I will say the lexa 300 is an excellent reel. Mind you I use it for saltwater and big cats the muskie has so far eluded me on my trips up North. On a side note the okuma Clarion which I don't know if it is made as a lefty is an excellent reel if you can switch to the round body reels.

Art

that's exactly right, I'm right handed, so I prefer my dominant hand (stronger grip, slightly more coordination) to hold the rod and impart action and reel with my left, non dominant hand...I can get by wtih right handed trolling reels though...except for saltwater/sturgeon, I back the drag off slight more than I usually would, not a biggie but paying top dollar for a reel I would prefer left hand

that's exactly right, I'm right handed, so I prefer my dominant hand (stronger grip, slightly more coordination) to hold the rod and impart action and reel with my left, non dominant hand...I can get by wtih right handed trolling reels though....

Yup. Always get a laugh watching guys reeling righty where they have to switch hands every cast, left is right!

i feel your pain, im a righty too, and need a LH crank. ive been trying to find something "tranx-like" in LH for double 10s.

was doing some research on the Avet SXJ MC...still not too sure about it yet though

have they came out with a decent left hand trolling reel yet? If only they would make a lefty tekota...

im using a LH Okuma coldwater trolling reel. im sure its no tekota, but i love it. caught a nice 43" last weekend on it

avet reels, actually entirely made in the US, they make high end round casting reels, especially known for multi speed reels, used a lot for surf and salt fishing, have a cult like following for sturgeon too, they're a bit pricey and kinda hard to find...they might also make a reel with dual drags, on each side of the spool, can get up to 100 lbs of drag pressure, if not avet, it's another us reel company that makes a dual drag

I just wish shimano made the trinidads or tekota in LH...I don't understand the guys who flip/cast with their right hand and then swap over to their left hand lol but to each their own

avet reels, actually entirely made in the US, they make high end round casting reels, especially known for multi speed reels, used a lot for surf and salt fishing, have a cult like following for sturgeon too, they're a bit pricey and kinda hard to find...they might also make a reel with dual drags, on each side of the spool, can get up to 100 lbs of drag pressure, if not avet, it's another us reel company that makes a dual drag

I just wish shimano made the trinidads or tekota in LH...I don't understand the guys who flip/cast with their right hand and then swap over to their left hand lol but to each their own

Don't even know I'm doing it,seems normal :D to me lol.And a spinning reel I crank with my left.Odd but it works for me .

They do make a dual drag , its the Raptor model also a 46" per turn retrieve I believe

I'm a lefty and starting to get into Musky fishing. Right now I'm using the C4 5601 and it feels cheap after reeling in my Revo STXs. Just doesn't feel sure of it itself hulking in my Belivers and D10s.

I was looking for the hs Toro 61 as well and discovered its a "no go" itd be nice to pick up all that line quicker when jerking and trolling.

You wanna sell me your old Toro?lol

Right now I'm using the C4 5601 and it feels cheap after reeling in my Revo STXs. Just doesn't feel sure of it itself hulking in my Belivers and D10s.

The C4 is a poor choice for cranking large musky baits, specially the big bladed ones and forget about burning them.

A good choice is the Abu 7000 as it's inexpensive but does a very good job. Huge spool and power handle makes big baits a breeze and it's also excellent for jerkbaiting and taking up slack in a hurry.

Not fancy or smooth, but it gets the job done.

Edited by lew

I use a left hand retrieve Shimano Castaic on a 7'2" Compre Musky rod for casting and also have a right hand retrieve Currado on a 7' All Star Bad Boy rod. I have to switch hands twice using the currado set up as I switch to cast then reel with the right hand then switch again for figure 8 and cast.

My trolling rod is also right hand retrieve, it is a Shimnano Calcutta on a 8' Compre Musky rod.

I am not efficient reeling in with my right hand and certainly can't burn baits but I feel I do get a bit better every time.