Swapping my trolling motor

Rizzo

So the new boat came with a "cable" guide trolling motor which I found very high maintenance to operate...always had to keep my foot on it or we would be doing donuts. Clarence from Bay City Marine has been kind enough to offer a swap for the Motorguide W55. Will this solve my problem? Don't know much about this unit but I'd like something that once you point it in a certain direction it just heads that way (something like the minn kota powerdrive unit on my last boat).Something you don't have to pay constant attention to. Is the W55 going to be more to my liking?

well "w". I would think it is wireless

if you like that type of trolling motor it is fine

I don't like the delay in commands in these type , unlike cable type that is instant control and feel

if you want to use a fishfinder this type is difficult to mount a transducer and cable back to the fishfinder without interfering with the shaft

I have the wireless unit and the delay on signal and the over rotation is a pain in the butt. I have installed a special tiller handle on the bowmount motor and only use the foot pedal or belt clip units to turn on and off and speed adjustment. To do all over a factory tiller bowmount is my next motor. You can knee or kick it around as you fish.

Art

I'm not too worried about delay, I just want to use it to keep me 100 feet away from the weeds, so there is no precision really needed. If I end up 90 feet away or 110 away its not a big deal. I can gradually correct this.What I want to avoid is the constant demand to have my foot on the controls. How the flip do you cast out bucktails, crank em in and do a figure 8 while you're foot is on the pedal?

How the flip do you cast out bucktails, crank em in and do a figure 8 while you're foot is on the pedal?

Why do you need to be constantly on the move Roger ??

When I'm working a weedline, rock outcrop or any kind of structure for that matter, I'll sit on a spot and fan cast to every nook & cranny that may hold a fish, and after I've covered every spot, then I'll move along a bit.

If you need a motor to keep you constantly on the move your gonna be missing alot of prime spots and good fish.

My boat came with a Terova but I told him the deal would only go thru if he swapped it out for a Fortrex.

Slow down and smell the roses...or fishes... my friend ;)

By on the move I've got it on cruise control at a super slow speed on a calm day. At that speed with my buddy on board we definitely get a number of casts to the same spot....even hit the open water behind us. But I don't want to stay at that spot forever. I want to slowly creep along, and not have to worry about the trolling motor spinning around if my foot isn't on the pedal. And I also need the motor for is windy days (ie blowing you away from the structure, or blowing you right into the structure). Just a way to maintain being 100 feet away, and slowly creeping along. With my last model I could do this. With this new one it seems very sensitive and has a mind of its own. So my question is, would the w55 accomplish this or am I wasting Clarence's time? If it operates like a powerdrive, then I think the switch would be a good one.

I have the W75 on a 16' bass boat and I'm very happy with the power and the 24v system lasts a long time. The main problem is noise with this unit plus it's hard to controll at first. Now I mainly adjust the steering manually for stealth. It's also in the shop right now getting fixed. 6/10 rating for me

I still find it hard to believe you can't tighten the steering up a bit

even if it's by moving the shaft bearings in tighter or moving the rack over tighter on the shaft gear

or the petal itself..tighten where it pivots or put rubber washers in where it pivots to make it harder to turn

dang, where is McGiver when you need him

Since I have switched to minnkota, I will never go back. The wireless system should do what you want and seeing as you are used to an electric drive motor, there should be very little learning curve. I would see if they will swap it out for a PD or terrova though. Even the cable drive minnkota's seem to track better as you can usually tighten down the play in the cables.

I am assuming you have a pro series Motorguide that the cables cannot be adjusted to tighten them down a bit.

I believe it is the pro series motorguide...maybe on the foot pedal I can tighten it down some how. I actually told my buddy I may blow up 2 balloons and put them under the pedal to hold the dang thing in place. How's that for Macivoring it? I guess guys (like me before last week) who have never used a cable drive don't realize what I'm talking about. I guess for certain types of fishing (flipping jigs??) this might be a good trolling motor, but if you want to be standing, watching your lure come in as you creep along, it is not the right motor.

I know exactly what you mean rizzo. I fish the same way with my power drive. Set it, and forget it.

That's what you really need/want. I've had a couple motor guides, and didn't like any of them. Never had an issue with minn kota's, other than the foot pedals.

Can you trade it for a power drive, and get away from motor guide altogether?

S.

If you're used to a MK PD then thats what you should get! I have a Terrova 80 w/ Auto pilot on my 16' Lund and I love it. Upgraded from a PD55 a couple years back and that extra power is great in the wind, or on the Niagara where much of my fishing is done. The 55 was fine in no wind or no current.

Hey Rizzo, there's nothing like slow trolling at 1 mph or less for eyes with my trolling motor up front steering with the big motor.

I've got the MinnKota AutoPilot. Not sure how it would be done with a cabled model. Less to go wrong on them I would think, though.

thanks for the replies. I gotta be honest, I knew nothing about the different types of trolling motors when I got the boat. Have always just had a minn kota powerdrive. First time I put that motorguide in the water I nearly flipped myself out of the boat. With the chop on the water, it was literally impossible to keep the boat going straight and fish standing up at the same time...maybe if I wanted to sit while I fished I could do it...but I don't want to sit!After a bit of internet searching, looks to me the w55 would be the motorguide version of a "powerdrive" other than it is wireless. Think I will make the switch.

I believe it is the pro series motorguide...maybe on the foot pedal I can tighten it down some how. I actually told my buddy I may blow up 2 balloons and put them under the pedal to hold the dang thing in place. How's that for Macivoring it? I guess guys (like me before last week) who have never used a cable drive don't realize what I'm talking about. I guess for certain types of fishing (flipping jigs??) this might be a good trolling motor, but if you want to be standing, watching your lure come in as you creep along, it is not the right motor.

If it is, there is no tension adjustment on that motor. Cable drives are definitely faster for turning but once you get used to the electric drive, it is manageable. I hated the fact that mine had a continuous on setting for trolling but as soon as you took you foot off the pedal it will turn on a dime.

I have no reason to think the w55 will do the job but that pro series I had left a sour taste in my mouth. I will never go back to Motorguide unless it is given to me.

Since it sounds like you will be going with the w55, it would be nice to here how you like it after a few times out with it.

Adam

I have the W55 on my 17' Starcraft.

Yes there is a delay and yes it is noisy BUT I love the hand hand held remote that clips on to my belt. I rarely use the wireless pedal.

I lengthened my shaft from 46-60" and I have yet to use it so no report on the upgrade.

Terry's comment about mounting a transducer to the motor is 100% accurate. I wish it had a universal sonar built in because I installed an X67C on the bow this past weekend and I will have to leave slack between the motor and the head for the shaft to slide through the steering control. I took some pictures and will post them soon.

I still find it hard to believe you can't tighten the steering up a bit

even if it's by moving the shaft bearings in tighter or moving the rack over tighter on the shaft gear

I believe it is the pro series motorguide...maybe on the foot pedal I can tighten it down some how.

There is no adjustment on the MotorGuide trolling motors other than on the higher end models. If you are okay with the 55 lbs thrust, you may consider getting one of these http://www.trollperfect.com/Pages/default.aspx to get rid of the play in the foot pedal and enable you to track straight.

It's sounds like the power steering would suit you...

I pretty we'll only use my electric motor for vertical jigging and casting musky... But being on a river... I only need to make adjustments... The current does the rest... Sometimes I can cast a weed bed for 200-300-400+ feet without touching the pedal.,, so for me I love the cable drive... Power steering is way too slow... And you can adjust steering tension on the foot pedal...

In places where one can fish two or even three rods for eyes you can't beat an I-pilot. I have tracks stored to memory, so I get close to my desired track and hit the track to end or track to start button, set my desired speed, and away i go. I can spend my time rigging rods and checking baits vs steering. if I want an erratic motion I'll offset my main motor which causes the Terrova to continuously compensate to stay on course (great for the summer bite) Now, if you're a musky fisherman like Lew, you can use the same program but set the speed control to something that allows you to work over an area as you move, or, you can use the electronic anchor to keep you on a spot (best when working into the wind). The system is worth its weight in gold, and the Terrova has proven to be a very robust design, unlike the Motorguide old and now discontinued PTSV. I've had cable systems, I'll take the Terrova anyday, If I wanted to maximize control I'd rather have a hand control unit but there is no way I would want my foot on a pedal all day, The major hang-up with the I-Pilot is wind. if the wind is pushing your boat faster than you've set the speed control it is a hassle, so you need to work into the wind on those days.

I've had cable systems, I'll take the Terrova anyday, If I wanted to maximize control I'd rather have a hand control unit but there is no way I would want my foot on a pedal all day,

Threads like this are really enjoyable as it shows how we all have different like & dislikes and vastly different preferences for our gear.

It'd be a pretty boring world if we all liked the same thing !!