How much fun can YOU have with an 88c can of corn?

Fisherpete

The May long weekend is when our family typically opens up the cottage, and this usually includes the following miseries:

1) Rain

2) More rain and maybe some cold

3) Lots of work

4) Little time to fish

Well this year, things were a little different...

The weather was perfect. More than perfect for May.

All 3 brothers able to make it on the same weekend - rare, and perfect. Lots to be done - yes, but many hands to do it.

As for the fishing...

We arrived on Saturday around noon, unloaded the food and gear, and anchored the boats in the shallows as no docks were in yet. I wasted no time, and opened an 88c can of Walmart corn niblets (uh oh, should I have sprung the extra 50c for Del Monte?). I waded out around 100 feet from my shoreline, and spread the corn out over a small area, The water there was less than 2 feet deep. I headed back, and Paul and I cast out lines into the baited area. We then walked over and picked up the first section of dock to put in, and before getting back to the water, my rod doubled over and the reel began to scream out line! Was this a sign of things to come for the weekend? Absolutely. Simply put, they carping was on fire - the best I have ever experienced. One 88c can a day kept fish coming on a steady basis. And I spend HOW much on ONE musky lure?!?!

Here`s the numbers from the 3 days...

42 landed, 4 lost

New PB`s for virtually everyone... including my own at 35 inches - which I did twice!

Four 34 inchers

First mirror ever for any of us (landed by my son Nick) - and I lost another on Monday.

I don`t think any were less than 10 pounds - seriously!

And the best part - this was all accomplished while we worked!!! 10 sections of dock put in, a fence put up, the property raked (and it was not done in the fall, so you can imagine...) and much more. Cast out, put the rod in the holder, clip on a bell if we were away from the dock working... awesome, and sooooo easy :)

Oh yeah - I almost lost a rod to a carp... GENIUS TIP - always, always, lock that rod into the holder... don`t forget the strap on the Scotty or else you WILL have to run after your rod like a madman!

(Yes, I saved the rod)

(Yes, I caught the fish, 33 incher)

(Yes, it took me an hour today to totally take apart, wash the sand out and relube the reel hahaha!!!)

Everyone truly had a great time. Here`s a taste.

Fisherpete

pete35a.jpg

pete35b.jpg

petefatty.jpg

petefattyb.jpg

Will

willfatty.jpg

willgolden.jpg

willmouth.jpg

Paul

paulfattya.jpg

paulfattyb.jpg

paulfattyc.jpg

paullips.jpg

paullips2.jpg

paulfatty.jpg

Nick

nickfatty.jpg

nickmirror.jpg

Wow! What a great weekend for you and the family! You know Pete...there's probably 100's of guys in Europe right now searching through your old posts here trying to get a fix on the location of your cottage. :D

Pete... I'm going to suggest you try an 88 cent can of corn for your muskie fishing, because with luck and numbers like that, surely to God it'll work out for ya.

Awesome dood! The best carp numbers with goodies report I've read in some time.