Another CTC Rant

Big Cliff

A couple of weeks ago there was a big promotion at the Lindsay CTC; get one of their Advantage CTC Master cards, save $0.10/liter at CTC Gas Bars for the next 30 days after you activate it.

Now I really didn't need another credit card but I figured WTH, I go through a ton of gas and I can fill up all my gas cans, why not?

I go through all the bull, and sure enough I get the card in the mail about a week later. So:

Friday I call in and activate the card, go and fill up with gas, I only get $0.02/liter discount so I phone them. No problem, first time using the card, system didn't recognize it was a promotion card and they issue a credit for the differance.

Saturday I am down in Oakville and I fill up again, only get $0.02/liter discount so I call them again, No problem, first transaction just hadn't been posted yet and they issue another credit. So far so good.

Monday I go to pull into the CTC Gas Bar in Lindsay, closed for renovations for the next 6 weeks. Now I'm pissed off, CTC must have known they were going to be closing down this gas bar so why did they allow a promotion for something that you couldn't get. I phoned CTC Master card and told them I wanted to cancel the card, she suggested I could just go to the next nearest CTC gas bar (Peterborough) (about 100 km round trip to save my $0.10 a liter.

Needless to say the card is now cancelled but it still burns me that this was even allowed to happen and I think it basically boils down to false advertising. I wonder how many other people got the card because of the promotion and will just suck it up?

I purchased an item for $100 from a Peterboro CTC last month and 10 days later it went on sale for $50. I took my bill in and they handed me back $50 cash plus tax, no questions asked.

I've always had great service from CTC and hopefully they'll solve your problem too Cliff.

ya never had a problem with cdn tire either. I once had a spare trailer tire for years before I realized it was the wrong bolt configuration. Naturally I had no receipt but they still let me trade it back in and get the one I needed. Sorry to hear about your luck Cliff. Is it possible that this promotion was through all CT stores and it just so happens that the timing was bad in Lindsay? If this promotion was ONLY going on in Lindsay then it makes absolutely no sense and yes they are morons.

I think the promotion was probably national; or, at least provincial. I go the same deal when I got the card a few years ago.

I understand the frustration on your part though. Considering the circumstances; they should have allowed your 30 day promotion period to start when the only CTC gas bar in your area re-opened.

I think the promotion was probably national; or, at least provincial. I go the same deal when I got the card a few years ago.

I understand the frustration on your part though. Considering the circumstances; they should have allowed your 30 day promotion period to start when the only CTC gas bar in your area re-opened.

I asked them if they would do that but they said no.

As far as service from CTC, I have no complaints what so ever other than this issue, it just kind of rubbed me the wrong way that they offered a promotion that I couldn't get.

I asked them if they would do that but they said no.

As far as service from CTC, I have no complaints what so ever other than this issue, it just kind of rubbed me the wrong way that they offered a promotion that I couldn't get.

I'm sure they'll get wind of this and fix you up somehow Cliff!. :good: .

I get a laugh at how Canadian tire prices mastercraft to snap on price points then have 75 percent off sales.... Lol... Genius if you really think about it... But what really grinds my gears.... Is how they launder crazy tire money into CAD should you ever have to collect a core or return an item

I was shocked at the % difference in prices for fishing eqpt between Walmart Amerst NY and Walmart Ontario but I was even more shocked to see that CTC was much higher than Walmart Ontario --what the hell gives

LOL Yup. I always make it a point to tell the guy at CTC how much I paid for the same product at wally world and other places. They are over priced.

Cliff,all CTC station are going through a new reno. The one in Barrie is doing the same. The only thing that pissed me off,cant get propane for the BBQ.

Edited by Misfish

I try not to buy much fishing stuff from Evilmart or Canadian Tire. Usually the smaller stores get my $$$. As for the CTC Mastercard, I found it to be very useful on a trip to Nova Scotia. Their gas stations are common on the way down. Only problem is that you have to run the card up to $1000 balance before you get the discount, then pay it off before the interest charges get you...

What are you saying here?

Say a battery cost you 100 bucks...they charge you 115 bucks because of the 15 dollar core charge....they give you canadian tire money on the core charge...15 cents?...plus canadian tire money on the inital 100 for your purchase....when you take your old battery in to collect your 15 dollar core charge and dont have the canadian tire money,,,they deduct the 15 cents from your core giving you 14,85 in return...so in essence...Canadian tire is selling their currancy in exchange for CAD....i know big deal right ...take 15 cents from every person that buys or returns an item without the canadian tire money and you have a substancial amount of money (tax free for CTC because you dont pay taxes on exchanging currancy).... Genius greed eh?! They should just lower the price of the purchase price by 4 per cent (equivelent to CT money put out..

Thats okay, at my work they have people offering applications with PC mastercards, completely lying to people and telling them its just a survey, they'll be sent a "test card" that they can just rip up, and they get a free box of cookies for it. Little do they know they just got PC debt for life program and will be penalized if they cut up the card!

I get a laugh at how Canadian tire prices mastercraft to snap on price points then have 75 percent off sales.... Lol... Genius if you really think about it... But what really grinds my gears.... Is how they launder crazy tire money into CAD should you ever have to collect a core or return an item

Ummm, lets be honest here. I get your point but I don't see too many $700 wrench sets at CT.

They are not even as bad as Craftsman in pricing and better tools than the Craftsman Canada offerings (and now the Craftsman USA China tools found in US stores).

When purchased on sale and if you keep on eye on the country of origin, they're one of the best socket/wrench/screwdriver values on the market.

I got one of the advantage cards from our local ctc store when they did the big roll out of it in Dryden. Like the original poster I was told I would be getting a discount on the purchase of gas and they also said they would giving a free 10 dollar credit toward the first purchase.

1. when I used it in Winnipeg, I didn't think anything of it since it was a new card and the purchase I made was my first crack at the cat. when the bill came in the mail, not only was there no 10 dollar credit , there was a 6.50 charge for using the card. needless to say that was the last time I used the card.