OFAH wants nippising gill nets pulled !!!!!

fishindevil

Wants Nipissing Gill Nets Pulled

By: Steve Galea

Urgulated commercial gill netting has virtually destroyed Lake Nipissing's walleye fishery and should be stopped, says the OFAH.

The federation is basing its recommendation on results of an independent review of the fishery, commissioned by the MNR.

It revealed few walleye 3 years or older in the lake, indicating big mature fish are facing unsustainable pressure. It also notes a clear difference between fishing mortality inf licted by recreational anglers and First Nation commercial gill netting, which has been three times greater than angler harvest since 2005.

Anglers have complied with increasing restrictions, including shorter seasons, lower limits, and a slot size since 1999, in an effort to stabilize walleye populations. Even so, recreational harvests are at an all time low. In that same time frame, the Nipissing First Nation commercial fishery has never reported annual harvest data.

The OFAH contends the province has ignored MNR biologists who said there was cause for grave concern and has failed to implement a much needed regulated commercial walleye regime. Wants Nipissing Gill Nets Pulled UNREGULATED commercial gill netting has virtually destroyed Lake Nipissing's walleye fishery and should be stopped, says the OFAH.

The federation is basing its recommendation on results of an independent review of the fishery, commissioned by the MNR.

It revealed few walleye 3 years or older in the lake, indicating big mature fish are facing unsustainable pressure. It also notes a clear difference between fishing mortality inf licted by recreational anglers and First Nation commercial gill netting, which has been three times greater than angler harvest since 2005.

Anglers have complied with increasing restrictions, including shorter seasons, lower limits, and a slot size since 1999, in an effort to stabilize walleye populations. Even so, recreational harvests are at an all time low. In that same time frame, the Nipissing First Nation commercial fishery has never reported annual harvest data.

The OFAH contends the province has ignored MNR biologists who said there was cause for grave concern and has failed to implement a much needed regulated commercial walleye regime.

"Lake Nipissing, one of Ontario's specially designated waters, has seen its walleye fisheries virtually collapse," said OFAH Provincial Manager of Fish and Wildlife Services Dr. Terry Quinney. "The MNR has the authority and responsibility to manage our natural resources for the benefit of all Ontarians, and yet they have allowed overharvesting by commercial gill-net operations to continue unregulated for more than a decade. Until the provincial government suspends all commercial gill-net operations and implements enforceable regulations, their own data tells us that the Lake Nipissing walleye population will not begin to recover." "Lake Nipissing, one of Ontario's specially designated waters, has seen its walleye fisheries virtually collapse," said OFAH Provincial Manager of Fish and Wildlife Services Dr. Terry Quinney. "The MNR has the authority and responsibility to manage our natural resources for the benefit of all Ontarians, and yet they have allowed overharvesting by commercial gill-net operations to continue unregulated for more than a decade. Until the provincial government suspends all commercial gill-net operations and implements enforceable regulations, their own data tells us that the Lake Nipissing walleye population will not begin to recover."

So the OFAH wants the gill nets pulled. Most anglers and resort owners want this, but what is going to be done? Statements like this mean nothing, unless they plan on doing something.

Nothing will be done, for several reasons, first those are magic gill nets, they don't have a great impact on the walleye or other species, second, all sport anglers are poachers so they keep way more fish than the nets catch, third, the lake belongs solely to nfn. In any case, i know that nfn knows best, and I am sure that while they continue to use only traditional methods and equipment they will ensure a future for thier lake and it's fishery.

Nothing will be done, for several reasons, first those are magic gill nets, they don't have a great impact on the walleye or other species, second, all sport anglers are poachers so they keep way more fish than the nets catch, third, the lake belongs solely to nfn. In any case, i know that nfn knows best, and I am sure that while they continue to use only traditional methods and equipment they will ensure a future for thier lake and it's fishery.

Pretty sure that comment was tongue in cheek right?

Anyhow I'm gladdened that FINALLY someone in some kind of official capacity has echoed my feelings on the matter.

Brutal..Im just happy that this is become public beyond what us anglers have to say..I stopped going to the nip Years ago for this very reason. Spend a TON of money to fish, maybe get 1 or 2 in the slot, after dropping 300 for a long weekend, all while watching those big boats haul it in by the ton..

Edited by tb4me

The first word of the article destroyed any confidence I might have had in the validity of its content. I'll wait for V.2.0. :)

Definitely sad when you can't spell the first word correctly.

Certainly not Steve Galeas fault. I've had all kinds of issues with editors in the past myself. Mistakes get made, it's no big deal.

It's hard to believe the First Nations would overharvest a resource. I was always taught they harvest in harmony with the spirit of the fish and the bear. The Spirit of Lake Nipissing would tell them when enough is enough.

I'm disappointed that they're just like non-natives. Given the opportunity and with no conservation laws they hammer a resource just like everyone else. They didn't overharvested when they lived off of the land because they just didn't have the technology or the population numbers to pressure a resource. So much for my romantic view of First Nations.

Dan O.

You would think that they had , for better than worse at least an editor that can spell . When speaking on matters of such importance to many you could at least take the time to SPELL CHECK ... But I guess when you print a thing that is pointed towards elected people , what does it matter most members of our goverment probaby cant read anyway ...

Edited by capt bruce

It's hard to believe the First Nations would overharvest a resource. I was always taught they harvest in harmony with the spirit of the fish and the bear. The Spirit of Lake Nipissing would tell them when enough is enough.

I'm disappointed that they're just like non-natives. Given the opportunity and with no conservation laws they hammer a resource just like everyone else. They didn't overharvested when they lived off of the land because they just didn't have the technology or the population numbers to pressure a resource. So much for my romantic view of First Nations.

Dan O.

I am sorry that your vision of the people that fished lake Nipissing for 10,000 years before the first fishing regulation was ever written has taken a beating.

But they are not "just like us non-natives" because they did not claim ownership of mother earth and parcel it up for capital gain.

I am thankful every time I fish anywhere that we are granted the privilege.

Jim

I'm disappointed that they're just like non-natives.

Now that's funny. Seriously.

:rofl2:

I do not support the OFAH whatsoever, nor do I support the commercial netting idea in my back yard.

but FNs are not on a provincial level , heck they are darned near beyond the federal level, with that said, there is always a possibility of decommercialization (not a real word) but totally stopping netting of all kinds will never happen, traite rights are almost impossible to overturn.

sorry .

Randy

:canadian:

We all know that government is not going to stand up and take off the kid gloves.

Stop stocking the Nippissing and French, remove MNR supports and provincial subsidies for those fisheries, and let the NFN manage the fishery for a few years. They will learn to make it work or collapse. If they go to the province for help, it's negotiable. This approach has been taken before some years back

We all know that government is not going to stand up and take off the kid gloves.

Stop stocking the Nippissing and French, remove MNR supports and provincial subsidies for those fisheries, and let the NFN manage the fishery for a few years. They will learn to make it work or collapse. If they go to the province for help, it's negotiable. This approach has been taken before some years back

I like this idea...although I would hope for a better end result...but I say let them deal with the lake since there really is no other option anyway.