Was there ever a point where you switched species ?

muskymatt

The musky guys really make me laugh.

Just because there are less muskies in existence, does not make them a more challenging fish than bass, walleye, perch or gobies.

C'mon musky guys, your fish literally eats anything. He aint so tough. And there's a 30% chance with the best care and equipment your fish will die.

All fish deserve respect. None are more challenging than any other, but then again you will never know that until you fish for them all.

Lets put it this way. If I walk up to the bank of the lake, throw a minnow under a bobber out, and catch a musky.. does that mean I went musky fishing, and now fully understand the experience? Nope. Just like if you catch a bass or walleye on a musky bait. :)

Edited by Rich

A true fisherman knows how to catch all species, under any conditions. I consider myself a true multi-species fisherman. Its hard to fit it all in, but. I like to fish for everything.

S.

you beat me too it,thats pretty much what i was going to say !!! its the best way for surei have rod set-ups for everything ....great reason to never stop buying tackle,it really is an addiction....

A true fisherman knows how to catch all species, under any conditions. I consider myself a true multi-species fisherman. Its hard to fit it all in, but. I like to fish for everything.

S.

X2 and every day I can get out, plus hard and soft water. My biggest challenge is what rods am I going to take today :D

So many fish and so little time????

Edited by Fish Farmer

Just because there are less muskies in existence, does not make them a more challenging fish than bass, walleye, perch or gobies.

C'mon musky guys, your fish literally eats anything. He aint so tough. And there's a 30% chance with the best care and equipment your fish will die.

All fish deserve respect. None are more challenging than any other, but then again you will never know that until you fish for them all.

Lets put it this way. If I walk up to the bank of the lake, throw a minnow under a bobber out, and catch a musky.. does that mean I went musky fishing, and now fully understand the experience? Nope. Just like if you catch a bass or walleye on a musky bait. :)

The words of a non musky angler. Anyone can catch a musky when you aren't trying to.

I have the passion as well. I used to fish for pike and bass, and still get out for salmon during the summer, but in my mind nothing beats the thrill of hooking into a decent ski. I don't expect everyone to get it. I have fished for most of the species in Ontario, if I prefer one it does not mean that I disrespect other species.

Just as an aside, if there are less of one species than logically it means that they are harder to catch.

I'm not trying to start something this response, just responding to what I see as a cheap shot from a guy who has some dislike of musky anglers.

Edited by Roaring Dan Seavey

Whatever swims, I fish for it (except carp)... Icefishing for lakers/whities/perch, then you have early season Lake O browns/salmon/whatever, then trout opener, then pike, the muskie, then bass, etc etc etc... Only thing I need to do is start fishing for late season smallies on Simcoe.. I think I'm missing out on some big big fish :)

Not surprising that you switch so easily. Who'd you cheer for prior to '92?

Ouch!

Yeah but the upgrade in 92 from going for the gobies to Muskie was easy and a no brainer :w00t:

I have and do fish for walleye and less so bass as well, just was totally obsessed with Muskies for so long. Literally 100% of my open water fishing was spent going for Muskies, there are so many other species at our fingertips, especially trout and salmon, so why limit yourself.

Very interesting read here though, lots of points of view. Awesome!

Well Said Rich and I am a musky guy. Yup the fish is a tough one to catch but so are other species and this year I intend to go back to my other favs Walleye and Bass. May 24 Norht Bay for some fresh Walleye!!

Now if you want excitement then go fishing for 25lb Salmon over the next couple of weeks with a 12lb mono 7ft rod with a blue white 7" stick bait and hang on to your line Baby because she is gonna run. There is no thrill greater than hooking into a king with heavy walleye gear and fighting it to the boat. These fish DO not tire out like a muskie.

Edited by Squid

Now if you want excitement then go fishing for 25lb Salmon over the next couple of weeks with a 12lb mono 7ft rod with a blue white 7" stick bait and hang on to your line Baby because she is gonna run. There is no thrill greater than hooking into a king with heavy walleye gear and fighting it to the boat. These fish DO not tire out like a muskie.

Let's hope this weather co-operates!! Lake O needs to heat up!

Living in the Niagara area weather controls were I fish and what I fish for .I check the marine forecast L.Ont trout, salmon, Niagara river,Walleye,bass, trout, musky if in season.Grand river, Catfish. L.Erie,Bass and perch.carp on the Fly. I have two or three rods for all. I don't care what pulls my line, as long as its me pulling back.

When muskie season's closed I'll fish for anything to pass the time, except for bass -- even if they were open bass fishing just doesn't turn my crank at all.

When it's open, it's game over. For me, there's nothing like it. From the hunt [seems much more like hunting than fishing], to the adrenaline rush when you get a biggun on.

Edited by Raf

I have been fishing bass in some real backcountry spots all my life and enjoying it but just in the last couple years I have sorta changed some of my focus to lake trout and I'm lovin it ! There is nothing better in my eyes then being on a secluded central Ontario lake and catching lakers . As well I don't fish for the sake of keeping them , I fish for the hunt which makes it exciting . Don't get me wrong I love the odd fish fry but it is all about the hunt for me , love the lake trout video games as well . This is a screen shot of a 15lb lake trout I caught last year screaming up and nailing my bucktail , now this is fun !!!!

P7020140.jpg

One spring a number of years ago I bought a bunch Cleo's and other spoons and fished the shore of Lake Ontario here from 50 Point to 16 Mile in Oakville. This had been after a long absence . In a month I caught nothing, not a single fish. I had one follow off the pier at Bronte. The last straw was one morning on the pier in Hamilton where I watched 4 guys chase 3 small trout/salmon all along the pier, casting at them with every thing they had. I said to my self screw this. I can remember casting Cleo's in the spring and always catching something. I had always enjoyed carp fishing and so I began to fish for them in earnest. I have had a lot of fun, met lots of great people, learned a lot and caught tons of carp.

S.

I may have a daily target, but I'm game for whatever is biting.

I do this every 3-4 weeks guys. Have been for as long as I can remember. My biggest problem is just getting the time to enjoy all the species I want to fish for. I did the bass tourney thing a while back for 4-5 years. Seemed every weekend through the summer and fall I was either pre-fishing or fishing a tournament.

My typical year looks like this

Jan-March Ice Fishing (lakers, whitefish, perch Hit quinte for the fist time in years and will be back next year)

Maybe mix in some river steelhead in there on occasion

April - Carp, Steelhead and early trolling on Lake O - Love pier chucking at this time

Last year I did spring Catfish and perch on Erie

May -June is Salmon/Trout on Lake O (adding Walleye on Erie this year)

July-August Bass on Erie/Temagami, Salmonn in Lake O

Fall - just about everything I can fit in but really like to focus on Erie

Edited by Fang

Pretty sure I would get bored fishing one species. There is way too much opportunity to fish a variety of water and species at our doorsteps. We are truly lucky to have the resources we do.

I love the hunt, the figuring things out is what keeps me going regardless of the species.

Plus fooling something with a brain the size of a thumb tack is good for my ego too. =]

Edited by Harrison

Before I got a boat I always hit the rivers in the spring and fall. When the boat came along I was less drawn to fight with the crowds on the banks and slowly gave it up. I should probably sell all of my river gear but the tackle junkie in me says NOOOOOO!!!! LOL!

For many years my routine would be panfish in the April, walleye in May, musky in June, bass from the end of June till Thanksgiving weekend and then back to musky and walleye to finish off the soft water season. In recent years I even have thrown in a couple of carp fishing trips as well. When the ice is ready it's usually panfish and then over to trout and whitefish with a couple of walleye trips as well. That has been my pattern for the last 20 years or so but last year that all changed and spent most of the summer chasing trout and salmon on the big water.

Much like yourself muskymatt (you might want to change your name) I can't seem to get enough of the big water stuff. I think I fished for bass maybe 3 or 4 times last year and other then 2 trips that were planned, the others were do to weather and not being able to get out on the big water. Been on the big water once and looking forward to many more trips. So yes my fishing habits have changed in the past year but perhaps not changing species just chasing new ones. I won't hesitate to go fishing for anything when the opportunity is there.

What you fish depends on your interests but also where you reside. I'm with the guys that do multi-species, there's just too much opportunity out there! And living in the GTA, there is so much close by. Lakers on the ice, pike and steelheading all winter, spring browns and shallow big pike, then comes musky opener the weekend after a few spring pike tournies, that takes you to bass opener, etc.. you get the idea. I find myself fishing much less for bass and walleye then I used to however nothing like taking an hour or two after a long day musky fishing in the summer to pick up a few eyes for dinner. Or hitting the best walleye fishery in the world in the fall for some world renowned trophies, same thing for the simcoe smallies. I haven't even touched the Lake O downrigging scene yet, haven't had the time with all the other great fishing opp's. So yeah, switching species all year long. After a while, you get a good handle on where the hot bites are depending on the time of year and species and concentrate on those.

The other night, I was casting for browns from shore after a day of steelheading. Browns were slow so I decided to take my float rod out of the car, pick some worms and get a carp to bite. After I caught a carp, went back to the browns after dark and nailed one of those before calling it a day. Typical spring Sunday :)

The words of a non musky angler. Anyone can catch a musky when you aren't trying to.

I have the passion as well. I used to fish for pike and bass, and still get out for salmon during the summer, but in my mind nothing beats the thrill of hooking into a deceint ski. I don't expect everyone to get it. I have fished for most of the species in Ontario, if I prefer one it does not mean that I disrespect other species.

Just as an aside, if there are less of one species than logically it means that they are harder to catch.

I'm not trying to start something this response, just responding to what I see as a cheap shot from a guy who has some dislike of musky anglers.

I have fished muskies, both kawartha and also those st clair pseudo-skies. I know what they're all about. And I've caught plenty too. I'd dig up pics to prove, but really i have no interest or reason to prove that to you.

And they are harder to FIND, easy to catch.

I bet you'd smirk and laugh if I said I dedicate my time to sunfish angling. Kinda how I feel when the musky guys start to act elite.

Edited by Rich

I have fished muskies, both kawartha and also those st clair pseudo-skies. I know what they're all about. And I've caught plenty too. I'd dig up pics to prove, but really i have no interest or reason to prove that to you.

I bet you'd smirk and laugh if I said I dedicate my time to sunfish angling. Kinda how I feel when the musky guys start to act elite.

I think sunfish angling is awesome. Panfish on an ultralight rig can be great fun.

I get the fact that some musky anglers come off as being elite, and that I can fall into that category

All I can say is that I respectfully disagree with your opinion of musky fishing, although I think it may have something to do with the amazing fishery on lake st clair, not to mention the fact that the Kawarthas are know for having great numbers. I know some musky fisherman who consider a good season one in which they catch 5 or more fish, and they fish fairly often. Of all the types of fishing that I have done, musky fishing is the only type of angling where I can come off the water skunked and feel like I had a good day if I spotted a few fish.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, I have the musky fever, and opener is way too far away.

With all due respect Rich, digging up a picture to prove you caught something hasn't always worked out well for you. Keep stirring the pot and it might backfire on you. Expessing an interest in one species of fish doesn't make you an elitest any more than it makes an expert on the subject. Some people are just more passionate about it than others.

I love muskie fishing as much as I love salmon and rainbow fishing. Carp, walleye, bass, pike are fun too but don't offer the same thrill for me. I make time every year for other species but the bulk of my time is spent on LSC and Lake O.