Biggest walleye you've heard of?

Rod Caster

I netted my buddy`s 31 inch walleye at Pointe au Baril, like Terry`s fish it seemed to have a problem, long and skinny, it only weighed like 9 pound 2 ounces.

Sort of odd for a mid to late September fish to be that skinny? My uncle also had gotten an 11 pounder a few years earlier at Pointe Au Baril, right after the season opened.

I got a 28 incher there that weighed a solid 8 pounds, chunky rascal. Saw other people in various camps we stayed at there with bigger ones than we got.

The bait store on HWY 69 ( E&E?) had a picture of a guy with a 16 pounder caught in Pointe au Baril, and from the pic? it looked right.

My biggest is 32" at 12lbs. But I've caught alot right near that length/weight.

Last year prefishing with my bud down in the sault narrows, he hooked a monster walleye. As it approached the boat I wished we had a longer net. I made one scoop at her and missed. The fish then broke the line at the top of the water about 6 feet from the boat.

The tailsplash as she escaped was as heartbreaking as it was a thing of beauty.

I'd guess 35" but its tough to tell on a fish like that. It was a spring pig too.

We were both very bummed

Edited by manitoubass2

My grandparents had a water front home on Simcoe many years ago and "ole gramps" used to get alot of big fish back in the day. Biggest pickerel was 18 pounds that he caught and I netted. We measured it on a couple different scales.

That was way back in 1961 and I doubt there's any like that left today.

I gotta start holding my fish 3ft off my chest, those 31in walleyes will start looking like 34-35inchers!!!!

You mean like this Billy? (You took the pic ;) ). 32" if memory serves, from a small lake in the Chapleau region.

(BTW those overgrown mutants from Quinte don't count. :) )

ChapleauWalleye106.jpg

I think a member here (Superdad) caught a 20.25 lb. walleye on Quinte many years ago.

I remember ice fishing Talbot River/Lake Simcoe by Gamebridge last week of March in the 90's and people walking by with 20 lb. walleyes they KEPT.

There is a world record walleyes in Lake Simcoe or Lake Ontario/Quinte. no doubt.

You mean like this Billy? (You took the pic ;) ). 32" if memory serves, from a small lake in the Chapleau region.

(BTW those overgrown mutants from Quinte don't count. :) )

ChapleauWalleye106.jpg

That thing was a giant! I'll never forget that trip...

http://arkansasroadstories.com/nature/walleye.html

If you read the story and apply the logic? With the demise of the walleye fishing on the Great Lakes in the 50`s and 60`s a lot more tourists headed to Canada to fish for them. The cottage industry was booming, Canadian`s personal income was rising, as was American`s. Travel and the time to do so was becoming easier.

Canadians and tourists were trophy hunting, something to take home to show for results of a vacation? and catch and release was unheard of. Then figure in the population growth of Ontario, I am pretty sure Lew and guys my age saw a lot of outsized fish " back in the day"? and didn`t have to go as far to see them.

Biggest ive seen pictures of was 22.5 in picton bay in the winter im sure i have the magizine somewhere im sure it was out of doors and i almost broke 20 one year trolling out in front of the ferry it was a super pig

Peter