Slowpoke,smelinfishy And Eh Muskie Report

Handlebarz

Thanks for posting the pictures Mike.

Mike, Steve and I hooked up around 8AM. They blindfolded me, put me in the bed of Steve's truck and drove around for what seemed like hours. I could hear them talking and I think they said something about Lake Babbagasomething. It was horrifying.

One of them clubbed me over the head and when I came to, we were in the boat on the water. As I was planning my escape, my rod went off. It was a blast - some long pulls, head shakes and it even came up for breath of fresh air. It was a great way to break in my new St. Croix Triumph muskie rod. A few last kicks when it neared the boat and Steve put the net on it. A couple of pictures from Mike and the fat 46"er was back in the water. While Mike was distracting me with the photo shoot, Steve shortened up my gnawed upon flouro leader and had the lure back in the water before I could see it.

A few hand shakes and back slaps followed by the celebratory smoke and Steve says "so, you ready for your next one?"... ZZZZIIIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGG, FISH ON! My rod again! Set the hook and asked Mike if he wanted this (I wanted to finish my celebratory smoke). Mike said "no, you take it... I'll tell you which one I want to bring in". Mike was holding out for the 50"er LOL.

This one put up a good tussle but was somewhat smaller. It was worth a picture but not worth measuring.. I figure it to be low 30"s. Mike snapped a couple photos while Steve kept the lure out of my site and put it back in the water.

About an hour passed and Steve's rod went off. It was a fiesty one and well hooked! Steve brought it in the boat but it wasn't done fighting! Before Mike got a picture the fish spazzed out and Steve did a WWF release. It was blooper reel material but he made sure it hit the water and not the boat. It took off right away. We didn't measure it but it was bigger than my second fish... probably closing in on 40"s.

Mike decided to change lures to a custom painted Super Shad. "Something is going to hit that!" said Steve. Not too long after Mike's rod goes off. Text book land/photo/release... a nicely coloured mid-high 30"er.

I was just sending my line out on the p-board on free-spool when I got knocked off. I set the hook thumbing the spool and threw it in gear. This one was big. Steve is starting to celebrate and says "yeahhh!!! 5 for 5!!!" (D'oh!!!!) Several strong line peels and recoveries later it was about 20 feet off the back of the boat and spit out the lure. I think Steve jinxed me and I'm sure it had nothing to do with me letting the line slack a teeeny bit when my rod was too low... ooops. It was the biggest one of the day, Steve figured over 50".

That's when things got nasty... they blindfolded me again, dropped me off on a dock and said "walk in a straight line for a mile before taking off the blindfold, you will see your van from there". That's the last time I lose a fish with those guys!!

DISCLAIMER - some of the details may have been embellished. We went 4 for 5 in four hours, gorgeous weather, good laughs and great Pizza - thanks again guys.

-Brian

Ended up 4/7 as I had two fish on by myself. The first one was off before I grabbed the rod and the second fish hit while I was taking a whiz and couldn't figure which rod to grab. Try fighting a fish with one hand available. Not easy.

Had a fabulous time with you two and can't wait till morning.

P.S.

I hope that Mike and I get that slob that was prematurely released.

Had a fabulous time with you two and can't wait till morning.

P.S.

I hope that Mike and I get that slob that was prematurely released.

It was too big, I got scared!

Are we on for the morning? I haven't heard back from Mike... PM'd you

-Brian