Would you give up your secret spot?

jedimaster

The honey hole.  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Would you fork over your honey hole?

• yes, my spots aren't secret.
    • for the right price or fame.
    • when I am cold and dead i'll leave you a map, but it won't lead you to my honey hole.

I will take you fishing and fish my most productive spots with no issues. I will also go fishing with you and you will take me to your best spots. I will ask your permission before I go fish a spot that you brought me too. I would hope you will return the courtesy. If not then you will find my fishing calendar is full when you ask to go again with me.

Art

I will take you fishing and fish my most productive spots with no issues. I will also go fishing with you and you will take me to your best spots. I will ask your permission before I go fish a spot that you brought me too. I would hope you will return the courtesy. If not then you will find my fishing calendar is full when you ask to go again with me.

Art

:clapping:

I think more importantly it's not necessarily the "spot" but as some of us know the real secret is the spot on the spot that's all the difference in the world !!!!! It's all in the old saying "pay attention to the details" can make an average good spot into a secret honey-hole !!!!!! That's the true secret and that usually only comes with doing your homework and putting in the hours !!!!!!!

I had an interesting, relevant, chat on the ice this past weekend, with some cottage friends.

It was Sunday,

them- "where were you yesterday?"

me- "we'll just call it lake "X""

them- "come on, we know all the lakes up there"

me- "that's cool, we did good, good day"

them- "well, there's Glennies, Silver Buck, Silver Doe........." rambled off a bunch of lakes, including the one I was on

I enjoy the trial and error, and the bushwacking, but "loose lips, sink ships"

As others have stated most of our secret spots are not as much of a secret as we'd like to belive. That said, I'm not adding to the pressure by providing the interweb with pinpoint directions. Also I am even more protective of spots that have been shared with me from someone else.

There is also a hierarchy for species/spots. A bass shoal on a big lake versus a tiny brook trout stream near a big city.

Nope! I did once and only once and I regretted that. I have fished a local lake for over 50 years. No internet, no depth chart, dept sounders or gps. I was easy to catch a 5LB+ smallmouth regularly here. It was a small rock mound about 10 feet across some 50 feet away from a large weedy bay surrounded by 30-35 feet of deeper water. Some days I would catch dozen, some fish I would catch 3 or more times a season. Back then I was one of those weird guys that would release trophy fish.

One day my neighbour( I've known this guy for over 55 years. Great guy) asked me to take him fishing, as he had never caught a bass over 2 lb. Ok, I agreed with the condition that this spot was to be kept secret and that all fish be returned to the lake healthy. Sure no problem. Well we had one of those epic days. We hooked and landed so many large bass that we lost track. WOW! We put them all back!

The next weekend I go out and decided to check out my spot first thing in the morning. There is my neighbour with his boat, and two other boats(friends of his) each with 3 guys in the boat fishing that little spot. All using minnow and worms and keeping only the "big" fish on the stringer. Later that day they made a photo shoot and a party next door to my place. 6X9 = 54 large bass(6 fish limit back then) got killed that day. The pictures got passed around and soon everyone and their brother was fishing there. That spot got wiped out. Last summer I hooked one bass about 4lbs. First one that size in almost 10 years from this spot.

Never,never ever will give out my spots. Never,never never again.

muddler

In your scenraio, no. However, if someone for instance on this board were to ask in a PM about a spot I would gladly share.

I also would share to a person I was talking to who enjoyed fishing. (assuming they believed in catch and release - only one or two for eating)

This is easy for my to say as all my honey holes are on fly-in lakes!

Edited by wantabigone

Many, many years ago a friend had a cottage on a prime Michigan trout stream. We both had a friend that was a photographer for a MI outdoor program. The camera guy was always invited to come up and fish with a stipulation - leave that camera at home.

Reason, the weekend after a film would be shown there would not be a place to park nor a spot to fish.

I guess I should expand my answer - while I think most spots are not really "secret", I don't think spilling the beans on any media outlet is a good idea.

Those of us who fish the East lake O tribs (though I haven't in a while...) know that pressure has increased lately.

There was a small creek that I used to go to with my old man, and on a busy weekend we might run into 3 other guys - the same three guys. It was a well kept secret for a long time, until I assume the use of google earth made it easy for all to find.

One report on this board, by a member who will remain unnamed (I don't think he's active here any longer) that included backgrounds and the next weekend I pulled up to see over 20 cars.

Those who know what I'm talking about, know what I'm talking about. I did make the mistake of introducing a couple friends to the creek, and I can only hope that they didn't contribute to the madness.

Now you are lucky to fish it with less than 20 others, and on such a small system with so many bagged fish I don't imagine it will be around for too long.

My bro and I did it.

IT is very easy for "newer" folks to this game to be taken advantage of. There is nothing wrong with being "wide eyed", enthusiastic and full of dreams.

However, as with any industry there are those that will prey on it

I am actually glad for the experience, it opened my eyes the reality of this biz.

Sure 17 miles souteast of port credit....knock yourself out!!!

Love it bucktail

Easy here big fella

That's MY spot partner----ssssshhhhhhhhhhh

Thanks for making me laugh this morning

You owe me a new computer keyboard btw --coffee all over the place dude

Take Care

Funny Stuff man

Paul

Depending on the body of water I would. If it was a small lake most Likley not but on lsc I would as it would be hard for people to figure out as it all looks the same. I would not want to share the GPS cords on the show.

I had a friend and his wife get freaked on by a very well know fishing pro. They were fishing a body of water he guides on and fishes alot they caught some nice musky he came over and flipped his lid saying they were on his spot. These two fish all over from lsc to PQ and always find fish but this day was ruined by one person who thought he owned the water. It does show no matter how many times we go to our hunny hole one day some one might be there by accident or by the same luck we had finding it.

There is a spot I was trying to keep secret, but I thought long and hard and decided its best to let others try. There is a rock you can stand on if you wade out. here are the co-ords to the rock. Just fan cast in every direction until you hook the big one.

43° 4'37.02"N

79° 4'29.75"W

The water in this area is a bit rough so if you get yourself in any danger, death, dismemberment, drowning etc... its all on you.

Edited by jedimaster

There is a spot I was trying to keep secret, but I thought long and hard and decided its best to let others try. There is a rock you can stand on if you wade out. here are the co-ords to the rock. Just fan cast in every direction until you hook the big one.

43° 4'37.02"N

79° 4'29.75"W

The water in this area is a bit rough so if you get yourself in any danger, death, dismemberment, drowning etc... its all on you.

lol didn't know better sounds like niagra falls