How not to fit a floatation suit?

tbseen

hi. A few of you must have used a suit that was too small or too big in some way or another. I have been shopping but don't know what I am doing.

I try them on with my normal cloths and can stick my fist between my chest and the zipper. if I strectch my back right out it starts to ride a little high in the crotch.

If I go a size bigger I look like the stay puff marshmallow man and there seems to be enough room to fit another person inside.

I just don't know what is right and need help.

what is right? what is wrong?

sig. tbseen

Go shop around and try a bunch of different makes and models. Try em all on, even if you don't like the looks. There has to be one out there that fits just right.

I might suggest you try a Salus Endurance class. They fit a little different then the others.

Figure what you are willing to spend on a suit. Do some research and comparison shop one brand to another. Once you've narrowed down the winning picks find dealers in your area that stock the suits you are interested in and go try one on remembering to dress as you would while in the suit as well as going through all possible ranges of motion with the suit on.

I wear a compression base layer to that wicks away moisture followed by a layer of fleece and it has worked well in a wide range of winter settings. The suit I wear weighs 2.2Kgs so bulk is not an issue both while on the move or sitting in my hut most of the day. Fits just like a snow suit. I actually bought two of them so I'd have a spare in case someone wanted to tag along. Two suits-$400 Shipped to my front door . Good luck.

Edited by moxie

One piece is better than two but a two piece is better than nothing.

They will both keep you afloat but a one piece suit allows for slower water entry. Believe it or not; as the water creeps in, your body is warming the water and reducing shock to your system. They're not designed to prevent water entering the suit for buoyancy but to control the entry and buy you some time.

As mentioned, try different manufacturers for best fit.

I never comprimise looks for safety, I don't care what I look like while fishing. What matters is comfort and safety. Anything float is better than nothing. 2 piece in nice for driving in your car, sitting in a heated hut, any time you would remove your coat. 1 piece is better for standing out, cold days, going for an ice swim, etc... I comes down to your needs. Good luck with the purchase. pretty cheap life insurance as far as I'm concerned!

Welcome to OFC...

To be honest fashion is not a biggie on the ice or in a fishing boat...at least to me. I wear a 2 piece and find it more comfortable than a 1 piece. Make sure it has a built in hood, something I forgot. Size wise I always buy a size up, you won't regret it. To be honest I'm not sure that a floater will help you much if you are by yourself and are in the water for any length of time, but for some reason it gives me a bit of extra confidence. Buy the best you can afford, lots will be coming on sale in the next few weeks..

Definitely try a few brands and models. There are plenty - Helly Hansen, Mustang, Salus, IDI Arctic Armor, Stearns, Striker Ice, Nautilus.

I have the Helly Hansen Alpha One and really like it. Was cheaper than the Mustang suits and has a lot of features. I look like an idiot in it, but don't really care because the ladies like me for my personality, lol.

lol.. fashion and style is in the walleye of the beholder :ninja: i have the one piece and it fits great... lots of mobility and it fits right. the 2 piece are nice but it gives you the ability to take the most important half of your flotation off. if its a nice day, you get warm and take the jacket off... now what happens when you go thru? either way.. if you are going to buy a PFD make sure you wear it PROPERLY.; i see guys all the time with a 3-4 hundred dollar mustang jacket and its sitting on their skidoo or quad. :wallbash: be safe out there, :canadian:

thanks for the replies.

I think some people got the idea that I was worried about looking like the stay puff marshmallow man. My fault.

The the things that concern me about it being big is if I would be staying warm if it was too big. I am thin guy and the one I have been trying on is the Helly Hanson Alpha. They are mostly built for larger guys. It ony seemed to catch lightly in 2 situations standing up straight and putting my hands high up in the air like I am being robbed.

Have only seen Mustangs that are way out of my price range for waterproof and HHs. Will take a look for other brands now that I know they are out there and fit different.

What is your height and weight? I am 6'1", 180lbs and my size large Helly Hansen fits me perfectly. I am selling one for my friend Al in the classifieds - same model and size, mint condition - for $175 - it's worth a look if you are close to those height/weight sizes... it is a great suit at that price. When buying mine, I tried on an XL and found it absolutely huge... but the large was perfect. I have also tried on some of the more expensive Mustangs ($400+) and actually prefer the HH.

What is your height and weight? I am 6'1", 180lbs and my size large Helly Hansen fits me perfectly. I am selling one for my friend Al in the classifieds - same model and size, mint condition - for $175 - it's worth a look if you are close to those height/weight sizes... it is a great suit at that price. When buying mine, I tried on an XL and found it absolutely huge... but the large was perfect. I have also tried on some of the more expensive Mustangs ($400+) and actually prefer the HH.

I am 5, 10". I picked one of those a couple of days ago in the same size. I am just looking at it sitting there. I must have a long torso because I am 3" shorter but it still gives me a little nudge when I stretch out. Maye I need to get rid of the boxers and get breifs :P

Same process I went through. The Mustangs were so expensive for one that was waterproof and the XL HH was so big it was like wearing a quilt.

Edited by tbseen

I had a Mustang Integrity but it just wasn't tall enough for me (I'm 6'3).. Now wearing a HH Alpha, no complaints.

I bought BillM's XL Mustang Integrity HX suit a few years ago and I love it. I'm 5'10", 190lbs and it fits me good. Lots of room to layer, move, bend down..etc. I wouldn't go any smaller. It's the best suit I've owned in regards to the weight and flexibility of it.

Does Buoy O Buoy still make suits? Mine is close to 20 years old, but still floats well and I check it every year, seems to me the price was much cheaper than the mustangs years ago and it's certainly served me well!! Might be worth a look?

Edited by porkpie

My rule is if I can get both arms into the suit and up to my chest with a t-shirt on, its the right size for layered ice fishing.

One piece may fit less comfortable but its all sealed and much warmer if you fall through or not!

A one piece fills up quick when the zipper is down.

I have had a mustang, and now a HH. I find the HH suit fits nicer, but the mustang was built better.

I wore my camo mustang suit for 15 years befor it wore out. I still have it.

I think my next one will be the arctic armour in camo.

S.

hi. A few of you must have used a suit that was too small or too big in some way or another. I have been shopping but don't know what I am doing.

I try them on with my normal cloths and can stick my fist between my chest and the zipper. if I strectch my back right out it starts to ride a little high in the crotch.

If I go a size bigger I look like the stay puff marshmallow man and there seems to be enough room to fit another person inside.

I just don't know what is right and need help.

what is right? what is wrong?

sig. tbseen

Try one on thats one size up from your normal size. Sqwat as low as you can with it on. If its comfortable and no tightness in the shoulders and rear end then its a perfect fit. The ankle cuffs shouldnt pull up either. keep in mind that im talking about a one piece suit.