A nice home improvement....NF

lew

wormdunker, I've seen those burnt beams before and they also look good, thanks for the suggestion.

...he supplied the 8"x8"x16' beam (paid 600 for it

I used to store my last boat in a barn just down the road from here . The place was built back in 1850 and is loaded with square beams up to probably 12 X 12 and some maybe 25-30 feet long. The beams are still as straight as the day they were cut and everything is held together with wooden pegs.

I wonder if the farmer knows he's sitting on a small fortune :lol:

I also wonder if barns being built today by modern standards will still be standing strong and straight 150 odd years from now ??

Cnv1634.jpg

Cnv1439-1.jpg

Edited by lew

Very nice Lew!! We are kicking around the idea of putting a propane stove in the basement of the cottage to keep things semi warm and dry during the winter months. At least you don't need to keep the fire stoked all night long on these cold winter nights.

Very nice Lew, I really like the Ledge Rock (Owen Sound?) It really makes it a nice focal point, I too am undergoing renovations, the GF is not too happy about the house being upside down though... :wallbash::whistling::blahblah1: but when they are complete it will be a new house.

What I am doing...

scraping paint off every room in the house as the builder did not use primer on the walls, before painting them in OIL based paint... the paint is coming off in strips... ugh what a mess...

Re-taping every joint and skim coating all surfaces

Stucco scraped from ceiling

New textured ceiling is in place (Knockdown)

New paint through out <--- this is where I am at now....

The whole house is carpet... all being ripped up

New 3/4" White oak being installed Honey colour in all the main areas, darker colour in the bedrooms... In a pet safe finish (Matte)

New Doors and frames through out w/ casing

Removal of old carpet baseboard and new installed through out..

its a ton of work and some serious $$ but in the end worth it :)

Next is the bathrooms and kitchen.... UGH..

Nice to see your finished product while I am living in a mess!

G

Awesome job with this! Looks amazing! Really nice transformation

I will be installing wood burning inserts at some point in our two fireplaces. I bought 2 very old barn doors that are 9'x5' and hanging them horizontally on either side of the fireplace. Should look nice against the field stone.

I'm sure that the farmers are aware of the market value for barn wood these days. I bet they have people knocking on their door every week!

I like that board Art, it really does gve it an aged appearance.

Gerritt, sounds like you've got some very serious work ahead of you, hopefully you'll get most of it done by the time the nice weather arrives and good luck with it.

Thanks once again everyone for the nice comments.

Thanks much Gerritt, I may just take you up on that if I don't find anything around here. I'm only 30 minutes from Havlock.

I'm looking for something 6x6 and about 75" long, old and preferably one that's been outside and exposed to the weather for a long time.