ATV purchase

Rustic-Fisher

Hope you have lots of gas money not to mention a winch front and back along with cash for tires broken tie rods dents and scratches.

Good luck.

It's my second rubicon, NEVER had a problem with tires (BFG mt) broken tie rods etc.....

Dents and scratches, well that's up to the operator.

And yep, I have gas money ;-)

Thanks though.

I have owned many ATVs... Some good comments... IMO nothing over a 500 is needed... Use a little common sense and your ahead of most of the pack... There not a tractor or a stunt bike...

My top 3: Suzuki,Kawasaki,Honda

Find a multi dealer with a test track and ride them all...

Ultimately the final decision is yours as it is your money you are spending and most importantly you have to buy a machine that best suits your needs.

There are many names on the market that are very much on par with each other.

Having lived in behind the Younge St arena at Victoria we had many years of direct access to Lake Simcoe as well as the joy of riding some amazing trails thru Muskoka and Haliburton.

Now having had 2 winters in Yellowknife with temps from plus 30 in the summer to -53 in the winter I feel the same 2 machines that we had in Innisfil WHICH are the same 2 machines that we have in Yellowknife are tried and tested as any machine can get.

Yes they are a solid axle Polaris 400 chain driven plus a 500 polaris shaft drive. The only thing I have replaced is a battery. The 500 we use for plowing and ice fishing as well as the 400 for icefishing.

They are no different than cars or trucks, you push them too much, be prepared to pay .

Any of them will encounter issues from time to time

Once u make your purchase enjoy.......there alot of fun :good:

Hey, I've owned a few ATV's in the past, and used them for back country fishing as you will.

1. Polaris Magnum 350 - Underpowered but a decent machine. Unfortunately this was stolen after I owned it a few months.

2. I replaced with a Magnum 500 - Lots of power! Very capable and I owned it for 2 years with no issues.

3. I traded in the Magnum for a Yamaha Rhino 420cc because of all the gear I carry, and wanted to take passengers with me. I absolutly loved the machine and owned it for several years - Did much ice fishing, backwoods fishing and trail riding with it.

As was said its your money, get your opinions sit on a few and test a few if you can, pick the one thats right...

I have owned many ATVs... Some good comments... IMO nothing over a 500 is needed... Use a little common sense and your ahead of most of the pack... There not a tractor or a stunt bike...

My top 3: Suzuki,Kawasaki,Honda

Find a multi dealer with a test track and ride them all...

the extra power is welcome when you're trying to turn some heavy and aggressive 27" or larger tires through peanut butter mud. i've seen quite a few small bores simply bog down before going anywhere in the really thick stuff where the big bores needed the extra horses to get the tires spinning. sure you can get into clutching, but the small bores lose too much top end speed if you go that route.

the extra power also comes in handy when you're trying to get the front end up in a hurry, such as onto large logs, rocks, creek banks, etc. i see it time and time again where riding is just overall easier with that extra snap of power you have available.

a lot of 500's and lower will also have lower top end speed compared to the 700's and such meaning the small bores are run at full throttle just screaming when the big bores are only at 3/4 throttle and cruising even though they're both going the same speed. this often means waiting for the small bores to cool down after overheating...

that said,not too many people downsize after owning a big bore. but, many people waste money buying a smaller ATV when they should have just got the only one they'd ever need the first time. limiting the power until you're ready is as simple as adjusting the throttle or you can even use a programmer and adjust it however you'd like. i've just personally seen too many people buy small machines thinking they'll be okay only to lose a couple grand when the upgrade a year later...

the extra power is welcome when you're trying to turn some heavy and aggressive 27" or larger tires through peanut butter mud. i've seen quite a few small bores simply bog down before going anywhere in the really thick stuff where the big bores needed the extra horses to get the tires spinning. sure you can get into clutching, but the small bores lose too much top end speed if you go that route.

the extra power also comes in handy when you're trying to get the front end up in a hurry, such as onto large logs, rocks, creek banks, etc. i see it time and time again where riding is just overall easier with that extra snap of power you have available.

a lot of 500's and lower will also have lower top end speed compared to the 700's and such meaning the small bores are run at full throttle just screaming when the big bores are only at 3/4 throttle and cruising even though they're both going the same speed. this often means waiting for the small bores to cool down after overheating...

that said,not too many people downsize after owning a big bore. but, many people waste money buying a smaller ATV when they should have just got the only one they'd ever need the first time. limiting the power until you're ready is as simple as adjusting the throttle or you can even use a programmer and adjust it however you'd like. i've just personally seen too many people buy small machines thinking they'll be okay only to lose a couple grand when the upgrade a year later...

no need to do 100mph...

deep mud and insane obstacles... go around...

to each there own... my whole point was that for the average user... 500cc is lots...

no need to do 100mph...

deep mud and insane obstacles... go around...

to each there own... my whole point was that for the average user... 500cc is lots...

i'm not arguing and i fully respect your opinion as it's definitely a different strokes for different folks type thing. i've been lucky enough to have ridden with literally hundreds of riders and ATV's over the last few years and it's very clear that those who ride big bores usually have a more enjoyable day with much less rider fatigue after the 50km+ runs we often go on.

using a 700 and 450 as an example, the 700 will top out at 100 km/h while the 450 will top out at 80 km/h. so, if you're cruising through fields or on the ice at 75 km/h the 450 will pretty much be "red lining" which greatly increases your chances of overheating while the 700 will be cruising along. i see it time and time again where we're forced to stop and wait for the smaller machines to cool down.

as for the obstacles, i wasn't really referring to insane obstacles. even a 12" log or vertical creek bank is much easier to get over with that extra snap of power to get the front wheels over and to give you an extra pop of momentum to get the rears up and over. many small bores lack power and feel sluggish in doing so. this often results in the rider becoming very fatigued by the end of the day as the small bores often require much more body english to maneuver. it's common for the small bores to be in 4x4 the majority of the time when navigating tricky terrain (which also increases fatigue if you don't have EPS) while the big bores are still in 2 wheel drive.

my point is too many people buy small machines and it ends up costing them thousands by the time they sell the first machine to upgrade to what they should have got in the first place. turning a 1000 into a 500 is as simple as turning a screw or using a programmer while turning a 500 into a 1000 means buying a new machine and losing a ton of cash. people who ATV almost always upgrade, not downsize :canadian:

you're right, a 500 is definitely capable of doing anything a big bore can. but, riding is so much easier and much less fatiguing when you have more horses available.

much like outboards on boats, most people opt for the more powerful motor right off the hop rather than starting with a small motor and upgrading later as life is easier and cheaper buying the right tool the first time.

So there is no DEFINITE what is best, I ride the trails 6x a week in Mattawa in the summer and my 500 does everything i ask of it.I ride with guys with big and small bore machines,the ones with the big bores seem to have an idea that they are invinceble.Saddly they are not.If you want to go where NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE make sure you have really big tires,a snorkle and a deep pocket book.

vance

I currently own 6 atvs and an argo. I have 2hondas,2suzukis,and 2 polaris bikes. Ive done tons of land clearing,hunting,fishing,wood hauling. Everything that you can think of we have done it. Bikes are like cars. You need tohave them serviced. Most guys buy them and very rarely bring them back to the dealers for regular preventative maintance. Then complain when they break. Thats rider error.

Ive worked these very well as they are tools and stuff has gotten damaged,broken and just worn out. The newer models are a luxery as they are like driving a cushion of air but alot of parts to break. Use common sense and add some after market or add ons to protect vital components and do regular service and tbese things will last forever.

420-450-500 are all big enough. which one is best. None of them. They all are basically the same. Polaris are a smooth ride and an amazing all around bike and fun to drive. Lost of parts to break but i have yet to break one. Cheapest of my bikes to fix. Hondas are tough but rougher riding and drink a little more gas than i like but very strong machines and less parts exposed to hook up and get bfoken. Parts are very expensive however. But granted they are very tough. Suzukis are a strong machine,drink as much gas as a honda but are probally by far some of the strongest machines out there. Parts are also expensive as much as honda.

Its my experience that these bikes last longer when driven alot and worked like a vehicle. does it justify buying a polaris over a honda or suzuki for ocasional use. No. I would buy a polaris, keep it maintained and you will be good to go. they are much cheaper in price only.

I have a 420 Rancher, and I also owned a 450 Foreman. The Foreman has a larger frame, if you are talller than 6' sit on both and you'll probably find the bigger frame more comfortable. Other than that the Rancher can do all those things you mentioed very well. That said, if I were to buy based on your list I'd lean to something around 500cc with Yamaha probably my top choice, then Suzuki and Honda.

I have a 420 Rancher, and I also owned a 450 Foreman. The Foreman has a larger frame, if you are talller than 6' sit on both and you'll probably find the bigger frame more comfortable. Other than that the Rancher can do all those things you mentioed very well. That said, if I were to buy based on your list I'd lean to something around 500cc with Yamaha probably my top choice, then Suzuki and Honda.

If your a trail rider and mud bogger, I too would go with a big bike. If your a backwoods fisherman, hunter and generally more of an outdoorsman than you are a rider, the smaller 400 class utility 4x4 is probably the way to go. We beat the hell out of ours back lake fishing and hunting deep in the woods, and the Honda/Yammie utility classes are darn near unkillable, and will still drag a moose, or a bush buggy full of oversized hunters or fishermen! Deep mud? We go around, big log in trail? Stihl comes of the front of the bike! Utility classes work for us, but sure if I wanted to go on a long long ride, or play in the mud all day I'd look at bigger machines! I would not however, look at a Polaris!