Used Sick Days to Fish

I used to regularly take my kids out of school for some quality "Dad" time. School principal only made a noise once. A half hour call to the school trustee shut him up.

As for sickdays/ fishing/mental health days. Lot of employers frown heavily on the practice.

I have never called in sick to fish but I don't get sick days. That said I have used vacation days last minute to go fishing. Thankfully I have lots of vacation days comparatively.

Probably not a good idea to post it publicly that you used a sick day to fish.....

Back when my brother & I were 11 & 12 years old, (1957) my dad decided we were old enough to join him on his annual week long deer hunt. He called the school to tell them we'd be off for the week and of course they objected, but Dad told them there's lots more to learning than what you get from a classroom. The pricipal said he couldn't really disagree with that and told us to take the week off & enjoy ourselves.

When we went back to school a week later, Dad sent the pricipal a large venison roast and he never again objected to us taking time off school. :D

I never call in sick to go fishing... or for any reason short of being all but dead. I have called in sick 4 times over 35 years, as I read this I almost want to slap myself for the numerous times my work days have had perfect weather and my days off not so much LOL..

I have never been blessed with a job that has "sick" days or I sure would take advantage. Why anyone with the option of having a paid day on the water would waste a sick day being actually ill is beyond me. Use em or lose I would say.

I have plenty of time off, and sick time, but it is not used for fishing. I am a shift worker though, so fish during the week all the time. I also take my son out of school from time to time to go on day trips. I would not post about my use of sick days for extra curricular activities on the Internet though. You never know who's watching, and frankly it's a dumb move!

My dad took me on a couple weekday algonquin trips while I was in high school. He did not have a hard time explaining to the school, since he was a teacher himself.

These days, since I work alone in my office, I just fish when work is slow. As long as I answer my phone when I get a call, there is no problem. I've had to race off the lake a couple times to send faxes or emails haha.

I have plenty of time off, and sick time, but it is not used for fishing. I am a shift worker though, so fish during the week all the time. I also take my son out of school from time to time to go on day trips. I would not post about my use of sick days for extra curricular activities on the Internet though. You never know who's watching, and frankly it's a dumb move!

Do you actually think I would post this topic if I knew someone I worked with that is on this site. Thanks mom for the advice anyway.

I'd call in healthy to work to go fishing. Id say im not coming into work today and he'd ask if i was sick and id say no I feel great! The first time my boss had a hard time wrapping his head around it but I'd come in sick when needed and never had to give the "sick" voice over the phone. If your boss is a real hard ass, diarrhea is a great excuse that management never want to talk about. Life is to short to work on 25 degree, partly cloudy and light wind days.

I've had 2 sick days since I started working full time in 1981. And I never went fishing...I was sick. However I used to have weekdays off work and I took both my son and daughter at different times ...out of school to go fishing with dad. I don't recall ever notifying the school.

Edited by crappieperchhunter