Used Sick Days to Fish

I agree with limeyangler and wallyboss. But to each their own.

I am a transparency kind of employee and manager. Just be open with your plans. The approach will provide and bring more respect.

If an employee has to hide behind a sick day to go fishing, maybe they really ought to reconsider a few things. If I was aware one of my employees had and demonstrated this kind of attitude, I would reconsider their value, commitment and possible future role and employment status.

Just my opinion. Accept it or not.

All said, I have gone fishing before work and came in later to the office before. I even worked from the boat a couple times all day long while on numerous conference calls. I didn't go out of my way to hide it. I didn't advertise it with everyone either. One time my manager asked me how the bite was out in the water and offered to attend a meeting on my behalf so I could bail on one of my conference calls.

does anyone else's company allow for "life balance days", or similar?

we don't get sick days. zero.

however, we get 7 (that do not carry over) "life balance days" per year. They can be used if your sick, if a child is sick, or if you just want the day off. They can be used without notice.

After those 7 days are taken, any further day off, for any reason, goes unpaid.

makes for coming in the next day with a sunburn a little easier.

No sick days or personal days where I work.... Haven't taken a sick day in 10 years... We don't get paid for them and they want a doctors note... Even with a note it's not always believed...especially Christmas day and new years...lol..<br />

I get two sick (family days) a year so technically I could use them for fishing but why waste it on fishing and end up not having one available when I'm really sick and shouldn't be going in to work ? Having a manager ask for a doctor's note when you've used up sick days fishing would not be worth the hassle imo.

My company is pretty flexible but it's a two way street and abusing that would piss off my co-workers as well, and that's something that's a no win all around.

Edited by woodenboater

Take this with a grain of salt but where I come from you call in sick when your sick.

You book time off to go fishing so your employer can plan to cover the absence.

Some might argue if your employer is less then honorable then who cares...but you should remember that calling in sick almost never hinders the business owner, or even the managment.

However it does often screw over your co-workers...

It may be different in each industry but in my place of work we're a small team.

So when you call in sick I'm short handed and we're all working harder to cover your sorry butt.

We are all 100% fine with that because we trust that you are indeed ill and we trust your going to cover us when we're down and out.

But if I got worked like a dog to cover you so you could go fishing and I found out about it....you had better beleive I'd be looking to have you replaced with someone a little more honest and forthcomming.

Just my $0.02

I get two personal days per year Loblaws pays me to fish... Got one coming right around my birthday I think... :)

And there's nothing unethical about that. They're given for us to use at our leisure for any given purpose, unquestioned. I don't call in sick to fish. When I was a part time cleanup kid that was a different story but I'm often in charge of the department and calling in sick would screw everyone over.

Edited by Rich

You think I'm whining?? ? :dunno:

I just don't think its cool to call in sick for the purpose of fishing if your not sick I guess....different strokes for different folks?

Not Trashing the thread, just say'n my $0.02 same as everyone else.

Heck my Dad used to take me out of school to go fishing on his holidays as well and I have some fond memories from those days.

Usually it was a Friday that he booked off, or a Monday to extend his weekend....all in all some great fun.

But it was quite another story though when he'd get called into work on his "planned" extra day off that we PLANNED to go fishing on because some one got the "sunny day flu"....Catch my drift?

Sometimes your fake sick day causes others to work harder, or perhaps even loose their day off all together.

I for one have lost valuable home time to cover other peoples illness time and honestly....its all good.

I have Zero issue with it because I know someday they'll recipricate.

But I'd have a 100% different feel on the issue if I knew it was someone putting their personal time above mine.

Thats all.

Not trying to crap on the thread....just say'n somtimes the idea of taking offf to fish on a "sick day" is not always cool. ;)

Edited by Cookslav