I WAS ROBBED!!!!

TJQ

I had an opportunity to go moose hunting to try to fill out some calf tags this weekend, with a very dear friend to me and his family... (we've been good friends since kindergarten) well the moose hunting was slow even though my more than capable guides dogged a couple of very large areas for us to no avail. On the second day.. this morning, however I was accosted in my watch by a band of PIRATES!! I filmed the burglary of my lunch, and chuckeled all day long at their persistence.. At one point I had to throw my crust away from the watch so i could eat my sandwiches as one of em, took a bite outta it while i was eating it!! LOL.. Its a great vid, there's a treat at the end.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bC5DtEzLVmQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh,,, and yes,.,, that is duct tape on my rifle... if anyone can get me the pin to fix it.. lol. lemme know!

Had a lot of interesting issues with Whiskey Jacks over the years as well TJ. One that comes to mind is when I was cleaning some Grouse beside my truck on a bush trail. I knew that there was a couple of Jacks watching me at the time. I pretty much had the Grouse all cleaned and ready to go and went back to my truck for some zip lock bags. As soon as I turned my back, the Jacks pounced on my Grouse breasts and took off with them. I wasn't too happy at the time but over the years have grown to appreciate the social aspect of these birds. Great video. I've also hand fed them on the dash of my snowmobile while ice fishing a few years back.

Funniest thing I've seen this fall involved a whiskeyjack. On a little trip to the Spruce Bog in Algonquin while at field camp, we found a couple along the trail (we had already fed some at the parking lot). One of the guys I was with decided to stick his hand out like he had food. One landed on his hand, looked down, looked at him, looked back down, and then bit him in the webbing at the base of his fingers and flew off rofl2.gif (that was the entire group reaction who seen it)

Hey, grey jays aren't stupid. He can't hit a moose so I'd say the whiskey jacks pretty safe. :)

Hey NOW!!!

Thanks for the comments guys... I tell ya.. I could have gotten an hour of video.. they were relentless.. even after I stopped feeding them they would scare the crap outta me on an hourly basis by coming in and landing next to me to see if there was a next course!!

:D Seriously, nature is amazing! Some of these birds hide thousands of bits of food every week (over a thousand a day) in thousands of places during the summer in order to have something to eat during the slim pickings period of winter. We get out of the car, put our groceries away and 30 minutes later we can't find our car keys.

:D Seriously, nature is amazing! Some of these birds hide thousands of bits of food every week (over a thousand a day) in thousands of places during the summer in order to have something to eat during the slim pickings period of winter. We get out of the car, put our groceries away and 30 minutes later we can't find our car keys.

Reminds me of the squirrels in my area :w00t:. Lol.

Glad to see the term "Wiskeyjacks" is still around. Anytime I use that name around here, people look at me like I have two heads. Yet, when I was growing up in Timmins, that's the only name we gave them. We also considered anyone who ever shot one of these to be a real "sc*mb!g". It is amazing how they find people with food. In January and February of 1980 when we were surveying some mining claims in Langmuir Township, South-East of Timmins, we had to work through 4 weeks of -20 F to -30 F or colder weather. We were getting our bag lunches from the camp cooks at the Bradley Brothers diamond drilling camp and he/she always put cookies in the bags. Every day around noon when our two native line cutters would build a large bonfire to warm up and thaw out and toast our sandwiches and make tea, the Wiskeyjacks would just appear from nowhere to claim there share. They got the cookies and sometimes some pieces of sandwich. It actually help brighten those short, dreary and very cold days.

Very cool Boss.

While I was out this weekend,I had those pesky chickidees buzzing me. Heck,even the blue jays were still up north. That has to be a sign of a mild winter coming.

I seen 4 doe,s and no bucks.Doe,s were off limits. Lots of good sign where I was,but way to frigg,n warm. +3 at 6am and even warmer as the day went on. First time I didnt freeze my tukus off in many years. :wallbash:

Lots of empty trailers, heading south. :whistling:

Snow came a week before the warm front.

Lots of sign.

035.jpg

029-1.jpg

033-2.jpg

034-2.jpg

037.jpg

A great 2 days well spent with my pop,none the less.

Edited by Misfish

Found a wihsky-jack's nest at -30C one April morning in northern Saskatchewan, with 4 feet of snow still on the ground and mommy was sitting on her eggs...! Amazing...!

The Crees later told me, that same evening, that very few people have ever found a whisky-jack's nest...

One of my favorite birds..

:rolleyes: