Proposed New Bass Changes for Southern Ontario

I think this is the first time I've heard people complain about there being abundant smallies in their locality. I think we have to remember that New York has an early Bass "Trophy" season with 1 as the limit. It's in the lake and there's lots of fishing beds too. Still, there's lots of big fish out there.

Personally I think opening the season is good if someone actually knows it won't decimate the fish. It's probably good some places and damaging in others. Hopefully they open the places where it's all good.

It always makes me wonder.... they are an invasive species, but cause they are fun to catch and decent to eat, they get protected... id say open the season year round everywhere..... they effect walleye and trout populations so what makes them better than asian carp.. i love fishing for them but sometimes it seem a bit hypocritical to me.

ive seen a lake north of here full of pickerel, one year i caught a bass, had never caught one there before, .. and now theres more bass than you can shake a stick at, and far far less pickerel.

Hey make sure everyone knows its you opinion, I am a bass guy and happen to like doing it so if you don't that's cool, but keep, your silly comments to yourself, invasive species my backside :wallbash:

Hey make sure everyone knows its you opinion, I am a bass guy and happen to like doing it so if you don't that's cool, but keep, your silly comments to yourself, invasive species my backside :wallbash:

His opinion happens to be fact in many, many instances particularly in northern regions, so keep your hostility to yourself.

I think this is the first time I've heard people complain about there being abundant smallies in their locality. I think we have to remember that New York has an early Bass "Trophy" season with 1 as the limit. It's in the lake and there's lots of fishing beds too. Still, there's lots of big fish out there.

Personally I think opening the season is good if someone actually knows it won't decimate the fish. It's probably good some places and damaging in others. Hopefully they open the places where it's all good.

Here's your second, I don't live up north and I never saw the park in it's hay day but they are really hurting the trout up there.

Great idea....lets play with the bass regs. :wallbash:

Meanwhile, wild, native fish suffer. MNR= Ministry of NO RESULTS.

What a joke.

Bass could be open all year no problem. I can't beleive people waste thier time fishing for them anyways......no teeth, no challenge.

S.

I can't beleive people waste thier time fishing for them anyways......no teeth, no challenge.

they reproduce like sunfish, are just as easy to catch, and sometimes taste just as good. who wouldn't?

going by this report the native range of smallies reached north to north bay or so.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/stdprod_095205.pdf

Edited by ch312

Great idea....lets play with the bass regs. :wallbash:

Meanwhile, wild, native fish suffer. MNR= Ministry of NO RESULTS.

What a joke.

Bass could be open all year no problem. I can't beleive people waste thier time fishing for them anyways......no teeth, no challenge.

S.

I would much rather fish bass then walleye if I am going for catch and release. Walleye are like a wet sock.

That being said there is better fish then both of them.

Mike the bass fisher. I mean 19 haha.

they reproduce like sunfish, are just as easy to catch, and sometimes taste just as good. who wouldn't?

going by this report the native range of smallies reached north to north bay or so.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/stdprod_095205.pdf

a great link but Imma gonna need some time to read all that. skimmed the start...

invasive species my backside :wallbash:

Introduced species may be more accurate. They were introduced into many Ontario lakes starting in the 1800's. There were very view lakes in Ontario that had bass populations prior to these stockings. The introductions happened so long ago that many assume that they were always here.

what many people don't get is panfish eating fry off the beds will stay all day and pick off one fry here and another one there and at the end of the day have their fill

or the bass will be pulled of the bed and they will have their fill in a few seconds, but at the end of the day they consume the same amount of bio mass

In areas where there is a big goby population it should stay the same. !!!! Gobies can decimate a bass nest in seconds Everyone YouTube the vids and see for yourself ......bass need to be on their nest the entire time think about it...enough people fish for them and pull them off their nest as it is anyway I see the people fishing for them way before the season opener here on the kawarthas as it is .....it's just wrong.....

Edited by fishindevil