Proposed New Bass Changes for Southern Ontario

Bass are fun... and they're just bass. A week earlier, YEAH!!! More guys will not be fishing the other great species just that much sooner. :thumbsup_anim::tease:

AND... all the tourneys can start a week sooner too. :unsure:

But they should open 'em up for ice fishing too and just like eyes, close 'em up come spawning weeks.

Seriously guys.. do you think the "growing season" is longer North of New Liskerd??

Different set of ideals for the anglers Wayne. And you know it.

Up north, ANYTHING competing with pickerel; and lesser degree trout, is fair game for leaving on shore to rot, year round. :w00t:

Seriously guys.. do you think the "growing season" is longer North of New Liskerd?? We can't fish Smallies year long on Temagami.. but I sure wish we could and that they tasted better. In the 9 seasons now... that I've been on the lake.. they've gone from an incidental catch to being absolute pests!

No one fishes for bass up north, who are you kidding, lol!

Seriously guys.. do you think the "growing season" is longer North of New Liskerd?? We can't fish Smallies year long on Temagami.. but I sure wish we could and that they tasted better. In the 9 seasons now... that I've been on the lake.. they've gone from an incidental catch to being absolute pests!

feed em to the guests wayne tell em its pickeral from the lake down the road little fish crisp won't know the difference :whistling:

i cant open the file.

But if that includes l.s.c. its all over politics. mich. has an early catch release season. pressures from anglers are being heard at the mnr.. that means less co hours again monitering the lake.. i just hope the bass population remains strong.

MUSKIESgotta eat ya know

Edited by outlaw

No one fishes for bass up north, who are you kidding, lol!

Seriously.. come sit on my dock in May/June.. you tell all the PPark visitors to go fish somewhere else "nothing but bass under them docks"! We also have two SMBass tourneys on the lake each season... they didn't like me handing them back their baits (that I plucked off my dock) at the offical weight in this year! :o

Lived in NW Ontario for quite a while

Lots of bass anglers

And they are very prolific (Bass not anglers :whistling: )----seems to be always lots to catch

(Smallies)

Sidenote---I like fryin up a nice largie in the 3 lb range better

Edited by bushart

Seriously.. come sit on my dock in May/June.. you tell all the PPark visitors to go fish somewhere else "nothing but bass under them docks"! We also have two SMBass tourneys on the lake each season... they didn't like me handing them back their baits (that I plucked off my dock) at the offical weight in this year! :o

I guess I should have clarified.. When I meant north, I was thinking more like 'Wawa' north.. You know those guys fishing in and around TBay rarely if ever take advantage of the smallmouth fishing up there.

I guess I should have clarified.. When I meant north, I was thinking more like 'Wawa' north.. You know those guys fishing in and around TBay rarely if ever take advantage of the smallmouth fishing up there.

...And I can't think of any reason why they would LOL!

The US has a lot longer of a growing season then we do up here. I don't think opening bass all year would be a good idea, but a week or two earlier then it is now most likely wouldn't hurt anything.

You are correct there. You are forgetting about places like the Niagara and Erie that have awesome bass fishing and the same spawn and so on we would. The fish off Myers don't seem to be affected to much and it is a zoo over there in early spring during spawn.

I don't know if this has been touched on already, but I start fishing for Crappie in April, then Pike in May. All through this time I catch and release a lot of Bass.

In NY State some lakes are open for "Catch and Release Only" prior to the regular opening. I think this is a very good idea. I don't eat Bass anyway, but I feel that this is a big first step in converting fish killer folk to the joys of CPR.

This is the third time I have come into this thread to say something only to delete what I wrote.

I will just ask, do we really need an extra week if there is any chance it will jeopardize another population of fish, especially in the Kawarthas? Why mess with it? Yes the bass are booming right now, but that can change quickly. Ten years ago the walleye were booming, I can't say that about them now. (See very few small fish now)

This is the third time I have come into this thread to say something only to delete what I wrote.

I will just ask, do we really need an extra week if there is any chance it will jeopardize another population of fish, especially in the Kawarthas? Why mess with it? Yes the bass are booming right now, but that can change quickly. Ten years ago the walleye were booming, I can't say that about them now. (See very few small fish now)

Overharvesting and habitat loss led to the change in the walleye. I don't see that as an issue for the bass.

The resource could probably sustain an earlier opener or even a C&R season. And don't forget they are not just proposing an earlier season start in 17, 18 and 20. But also a later close in 18 and 20 which holds some very fine, if not some of the best bass waters in the province.

Overharvesting and habitat loss led to the change in the walleye. I don't see that as an issue for the bass.

The resource could probably sustain an earlier opener or even a C&R season. And don't forget they are not just proposing an earlier season start in 17, 18 and 20. But also a later close in 18 and 20 which holds some very fine, if not some of the best bass waters in the province.

I could accept an early C & R, but this summer I saw more than usual being kept to replace the lack of success with walleye. People love to eat fish and if the walleye aren't there in numbers they will switch their target, which is well within their rights. It just really concerns me to extend the season earlier.

Go ahead and open them year round in Zone 11 ...other than a small cross section of people (Parents with small kids, Tourneys and C&R guys) most people don't fish for bass at all. ...and why the heck are bass closed during the winter in the first place??? I've heard of maybe two people accidentally catching bass on the ice and you can bet bass would not get a lot of ice fishing pressure even if open season.

The only bass people really keep up here are white bass and they are not even listed as a sport fish in Zone 11! haha, and from what I understand they are actually natural to Lake Nipissing!

Darn SMB have ruined some of the lakes up here, including some trout streams in Algonquin park which are quickly slipping away, so I'm not too keen on them... why would a desireable fish like splake/rainbows be open all year and bass are closed during winter when people don't target them anyway...haha, seems so stupid to me.

I can understand wanting more restrictions in south and/or Ottawa area regions, because of the much higher fishing pressure towards all species, but anywhere north of haliburton??