Conservation Officers watching Kijjiji!!

TJQ

I've been approached twice now to represent (sell for) individuals with a "large quantity of fresh roe" for sale. They bounced twice on the (assisted) rapid exit forced upon them! (I really do have my temper under control, MOST of the time! But not for stuff like that!) Next time I'll try to get details and report them, but I lost it immediately both times and ran them out right away.

Of additional interest is that there is a posting in the Kijiji(2-3 years back?)forums about a guy getting popped for selling a mount. He made the sale, 2 minutes later another knock on the door and BUSTED! He had inherited it somehow as I recall, and just went ahead to sell it along with other inherited items.

Lately I've seen a number of Kijiji posts for roe, skin mounts, racks etc. I was wondering if MNR was monitoring any of this and it's good to see they are! Sure, some folks might be innocently cleaning out old stuff handed down, but, as they say, ignorance is no excuse. Hopefully the word will get out and more will be educated (or busted!).

Michael

a few months ago, my brother picked up old pike and walleye skin mounts from a 2nd hand store for cheap because the store knew they wouldn't be able to sell that kind of stuff with the new legislation

I still think the CO's time would be better spent patrolling the rivers and lakes rather than Kijiji.

You can purchase a deer cape or hide from outside of Ontario and then pay to get it mounted.

You cannot sell any gamefish or part of one in Ontario. Guys have tried to pass off selling them as a piece of fancy driftwood art and throwing in the fish for free. Doesn't cut it!

Go with a replica if you are looking for a fish.

a few months ago, my brother picked up old pike and walleye skin mounts from a 2nd hand store for cheap because the store knew they wouldn't be able to sell that kind of stuff with the new legislation

I still think the CO's time would be better spent patrolling the rivers and lakes rather than Kijiji.

Those regulations have been around for ever. That second hand store wasn't supposed to sell them. However, I have to argue that selling old mounts such as fish and moose heads should be an area that is specified in regs to avoid charges. It's not like they are setting up a black market and killing all kinds of wildlife just to mount and sell. I would rather see CO's on the lakes and rivers also.

Those regulations have been around for ever. That second hand store wasn't supposed to sell them. However, I have to argue that selling old mounts such as fish and moose heads should be an area that is specified in regs to avoid charges. It's not like they are setting up a black market and killing all kinds of wildlife just to mount and sell. I would rather see CO's on the lakes and rivers also.

Me three!!!

I had to jump thru many hoops to get a letter from a co to sell this work done on moose antlers

the value of the art has to be more than just the value of the antlers alone

I won't likely do this again anyway---too hard on brushes

wodl.jpg

I had to jump thru many hoops to get a letter from a co to sell this work done on moose antlers

the value of the art has to be more than just the value of the antlers alone

I won't likely do this again anyway---too hard on brushes

wodl.jpg

i got this one no problem at all...

moosehorn.jpg

I guess I should have been more specific with the rules as stated

I had to let them know that nowhere in this project was a taxedermist involved---if there was, then there was a problem according to the co

Most Co's will tell you that they are Not art appraisers and are somewhat reluctant to open that door

I've been told that they did not want people just painting antlers red or brown and selling them----thus they need to see the value in the artwork.

Regardless---even though I have several other sets of antlers I've acquired over my years----Painting on them is far from fun and I likely won't do anymore---probably why you do not find many painted scenes on moose antlers

the whole deal

moo 004.JPG

last year. we had a young student charged. he put moose horns on kiijii. the co came to his house and ticketed him. the student purchsed the horns in huntsville ont, at an antiques shop for a prop in a play. the charge went to the court system. the judge threw the charge out of the courtroom. it was in the windsor star and on the radio stations.

Last year there was a guy on Kijiji trying to sell carp that he catches from the Peterborough area. Essentially you give him an order and he'll go out and catch them.LOL

Yes, but who the heck would buy CARP?? I think they got the spelling wrong on that one! oooops, sorry, just noticed that that's a carp you are holding.w00t.gifoops.giflaugh.gif