Unconventional baits

SirCranksalot

I see some joking refs on here re marshmallows, earplugs etc but I understand that some people (maybe less now than years ago) do use such things as pieces of sponge and marshmallows and catch fish. I've noticed that C Tire, for e.g., sell dyed marshmallows in a jar as fish bait. Has anybody on here tried some of these goofy baits and caught fish? Is any of that stuffy any more 'goofy' than a piece of yarn?

Edited by Knuguy

Since I was a wee lad, marshmallows have been very popular fishing for salmon at the Credit River. My step dad used to run a hardware store (Peers Hardware) beside what is now Starbucks and sold bucket loads of mallows!

I remember being down by the river one day 15 + years ago, watching a marshmallow floating along the surface after it came of a fishermans hook. A seagull was swooping down to get it when a big ole salmon came from the depths and launched into the air to grab it, almost colliding with the gul in mid air!

Many will say that Mellows do not work and that they are indeed for flossing fish.

But they are very very wrong. The Salmon will jam that mellow right down their throat. Not sure how that would be considered not eating. Rainbow will eat them as well. Yarns is a good one too.

Anything round will work as a roe imitator.. Hell fish eat beads from Michaels, they'll definitely chow down on a marshmellow or corn.

The thing with marshmellows is that they float and are the favourite bait of flossing, hence the bad rap... When I was a kid we'd use them all the time for lakers in the fall down at Port.D.. Sure you'd foul hook a few (Like any other fish in the fall) but more times then not that marshmellow would be halfway down it's throat.

It's the elite fishing crowd that give baits like the ones mentioned a bad name. They get pretty jealous fishing their $1000 outfits standing in their $500 waders when Joe Blo with his $39 spinning combo standing next to them nails a few fish... :whistling:

Don't ya just love when that happens...with any kind of fishing :lol:

Earlier this year, I did pretty well on one trip using X-zone Swammers in the 3 & 4" sizes. The lakers didn't seem to like them that day, but the steelhead sure did.

In the past, I've caught steelhead on 8 & 10 inch pink worms (designed for Lake Okeechobee bass in Florida), 5" Rapala Husky jerks & jointed raps, Lipless cranks, green sponge balls dredged in Vasoline & cod liver oil and yarn.

On New years eve (last day of 2011) both Frozen-Fire and I were fishing one of our local rivers. I caught one chub and jokingly, I immediately cast it back out and drifted the pool. On the 1st cast, I hooked a nice brown around 6lbs...Didn't land it though. We proceeded to catch and keep a few more chub in the hopes of hooking a few more browns or steelhead.LOL

Since I was a wee lad, marshmallows have been very popular fishing for salmon at the Credit River. My step dad used to run a hardware store (Peers Hardware) beside what is now Starbucks and sold bucket loads of mallows!

I remember being down by the river one day 15 + years ago, watching a marshmallow floating along the surface after it came of a fishermans hook. A seagull was swooping down to get it when a big ole salmon came from the depths and launched into the air to grab it, almost colliding with the gul in mid air!

I remember Peers; back then I used to clean fish for the charters in PC. The cleaning station was an old rotten shack but we still made it work.

what is flossing?

Getting the fish to swim past your presentation and getting the line caught in it's mouth because you're using a super long leader with a bait that floats (marshmellow, earplug, whatever)

Although I've seem some fly guys that are pro at it as well, running 8ft leads off their strike indicators fishing in 3ft of water, lol.

Getting the fish to swim past your presentation and getting the line caught in it's mouth because you're using a super long leader with a bait that floats (marshmellow, earplug, whatever)

Although I've seem some fly guys that are pro at it as well, running 8ft leads off their strike indicators fishing in 3ft of water, lol.

Fish on! Comin down!

"Didja get that one on spawn sacks?"

For a few years we used sponge and soaked it in roe juice.

Once I discoverd how and when to fish plastics in the fall/winter that's all I use.

A couple of questions: Where do you get 'roe juice' Is it just what drips out of roes that you've kept, or do you buy it?

"plastics in the fall/winter"--do you mean for bows, or for bass, walleye and pike?.

A couple of questions: Where do you get 'roe juice' Is it just what drips out of roes that you've kept, or do you buy it?

"plastics in the fall/winter"--do you mean for bows, or for bass, walleye and pike?.

No Problem.

a) roe juice is just left over from salmon roe we kept to make singles. We would then freeze it, fill up a pill bottle and dunk the sponge that we cut out with a hole puncher.

b ) prefer to fish plastic now in the cold water for bows. Tubes, worms, craws, minnowheads, frys, etc.. all under a float.

When I say we, I am taknig about my bro and I. Learnt the ropes together and still fish the same.

Edited by Harrison

Forgot to add - I tossed on a 5" bass worm on the coldest day I have ever fished in February a couple years ago. After nothing all morning this was the magic ticket bringing three of the biggest of the year to the bank... I should dig up the pictures.

Some say corn is a go-to in the conservation areas ... under a float in still open water ... it can definitely also be useful in the right conditions in a river ... specially slow deep pools ... I have watched many fish come up take a sniff and then inhale .... while 'flossing' is probably an unfortunate outcome in the faster runs, it is not normally the case is a slowly drifted bait a foot or two off bottom. Just my humble opinion (from many years of first hand - and visually confirmed - experience).