Spruce grouse and speckled trout

Lip-ripper

A buddy and I headed out to one of my favorite little places on earth for a day of grouse hunting and speckled trout fishing. Fall is my favorite time to target specks and with the lake being in a grouse habitat, the 2 go hand in hand.

I hadn't been back there for quite some time and it was an evening of anticipation the night before.

Armed with guns, rods, the canoe and a cooler of snacks we headed off around 7:30 am. We decided on doing a little hunt prior to fishing, as morning is usually the better time for birds. By 9 we were well into hunting but had nothing to show for our efforts other than a couple birds that flushed into the still thick, colorful northern foliage.

A couple kilometers later, and around a sharp corner of the trail, 3 grouse pop out in front of us. Then another, and another. Armageddon ensues and at the end of the mayhem, 3 Grouse are down with 2 escapees.

We continued further but ran into nothing more and the trail ended. On our way back, exactly where the first three were shot, we ran into another 4! With the bush in this area being so thick, it's so easy to miss seeing birds. We ended up harvesting another 3 and decided to head for the lake.

grouse.jpg

The little lake that I love so much and hadn't seen in what seemed like so long was reached after a short drive. We carried the canoe down to the water, hopped in and set out to try for some delicious little specks. I didn't even have my first lure choice tied on when my partner cries out "fish on". First cast, using a spinner with no bait he lands a sweet little 10 incher. With the regs stating that only one >12 inches can be kept, we each planned on keeping a feed of little ones, then targeting our one bigger one later.

I have never seen the fishing better than I did on Saturday. Not sure if it was the temperature, moonphase, overcast weather, or perfect alignment of all of them, but it was truly unreal.

Every lure we tried caught fish. Every colour caught fish. It didn't matter if there was bait on it or not. We would get hits on nearly every cast, and follow-ups everytime of usually 2-3 fish at a time. Sometimes even getting fish jumping out of the water at our offerings as we lifted them out to reload and cast again. After a few hours of this, we happily had our fill.

We both ended up keeping our five, however aside from a few swipes by some of the larger fish and a few long range sightings, nothing of any bigger sizes were caught. Personally, I don't think the hungry little ones gave them a chance!

The fish we did keep were all around that 10-11 inch mark, and had beauty colourings.

specks-1.jpg

One more Grouse was harvested on the drive out, a single that was huddled by the side of the road.

We were also checked by the MNR as well. He checked our guns (to see if they were loaded), our licenses, and our bounty from the day. Very nice guy that took down some info, chatted with us then headed off to check more sportsmen.

All in all a great little Saturday in a little piece of heaven...

Unfortunately, like other posters, I would pass on the "Spruce" grouse as we not-so-affectionately knew them when I was growing up in Timmins. Mum would always have to soak the heck out of them in salt water prior to cooking them. Thankfully, Dad liked them and they never went to waste. Dad's rule was "You shot it, you eat it!" Thankfully he saved my and my brother's butts many a time on this one.