Marc Thorpe and Muskies

Roy

Someone was mentioning warm weather muskie fishing here a short while back and I thought I would post this. There aren't that many people committed enough to the species to actually do this. Apparently, this muskie was suffering from severe swim bladder issues. Marc never

takes fish out of the water in these hot temperatures and that works out well but every once in a while one will have problems stabilizing at release. You can get a few more details on this on his FB account.

I swear the man communicates with these fish.

Marcmuskie1.jpg

Marcmuskie2.jpg

ps. I don't have Marc's permission to post this but I assume if he posted to Facebook that it's ok to post it here.

That's pretty wild! Buddy and I caught an incidental a few years ago on a fairly hot day in late June. Released it and thought it was fine....saw it pop up a few yards away. Was swimming properly, but right on the surface....we puttered over but it wouldn't let us get close. Lots of boat traffic so we just stayed close until it finally bolted after about 10 minutes.

After that I've always held on a little tighter to the tail until they show me they can really take off.

There is a reason why Marc Thorpe is probably best musky guy around.

I remember those reports from a few years back where Pete Mania, Aaron Shirley etc...used him to guide them to 58+ inch muskies.

Miss his reports around here.

Cudo's to Marc for reviving a beutiful fish but would it not make more sense to just not target them when its stupid hot out?

Joseph

Contact Ryan Marlowe from Figure 8 Baits in Kenora, he will be able to set you up.

Water temps are sky high right now, hope they drop a bit...been hearing about a lot of mortality on muskie this summer with higher than normals water temps.

Good point/question Joseph! The above post was from another thread today. Curious to hear from the 'Musky Hunters' here.

Is there time when shutting down the musky hunt makes sense to avoid mortality due to temperatures??

Good point/question Joseph! The above post was from another thread today. Curious to hear from the 'Musky Hunters' here.

Is there time when shutting down the musky hunt makes sense to avoid mortality due to temperatures??

Yes, I'd like to know and then answer that one too.

There is a reason why Marc Thorpe is probably best musky guy around.

I remember those reports from a few years back where Pete Mania, Aaron Shirley etc...used him to guide them to 58+ inch muskies.

Miss his reports around here.

I still have that video, they caught 2 monsters, great guy :)

I just got off the phone with him (he's on the hunt right now with clients) and apologized for posting this without permission. He was very kind and told me there was no problem....if it'll help someone, then great. Marc will probably show up tonight or very early morning to add his comments. He seems to be doing very well even in the last coupla week's blistering heat. Good for him.

Roy, in the future perhaps you could warn us of graphic images. There's more Marc there than I needed to see ;)

:rofl2:

Awesome fish. So important to take the time to make sure they are going to be OK when released. There's a man that is assuring his future business. :good:

Edited by fishnsled

Marc is still on my bucket list I love that man and I havent ever gotten to shake his hand.

Art

I almost had that pleasure, but he was too busy talking to R and J. He did look over at me and say HI, though:worthy:

You're a nutcase, Paul. :)

Didnt think you would remember that.:whistling: Saturday, after the Thomas Marine open house 2 years ago:rolleyes: He was running late. Dropped off something good for you and J ?

Sigh.................Geezer!!!:rofl2:

not even 2 yearsLOL...last year.

Edited by mercman