Biggest doofus award

Since there seems to be a number of threads touching on stupid things other boaters and pleasure craft operators do on the water, I wanted to know who wins your award for biggest doofus??? (sp?)

I have had run ins with silly (possibly drunk) people driving too close or at too high a speed but the all time best had to be when my best friend and I first caught the muskie bug and decided to take a trip to the Kawartha's. We were fishing our first morning on Buckhorn Lake, casting a shoreline while it was nice and peaceful when all of a sudden a doofus in an air boat comes flying right by us within about I'd say 30 feet, 40 max. Now he had the whole lake behind us but decided it was better to drive by right in front of us along the shore where we were casting. He waved as he flew past, friendly chap.

My friend and I just looked at each other like, did that really just happen??? Fortunately no persons or equipment were harmed during this incident. We still laugh about this ignoramace every once in a while. What are people thinking???

A 30 foot cabin crusier decides to accelerate while passing under the fort erie bridge. I was going down river and the crusier was going up into Lake Erie. The boat threw a 4 foot high set of waves at me and almost swamped my 19 foot lund. Man I was beside myself. Boaters that have travelled under the fort erie bridge know just how dangerous that water is!

Boaters that have travelled under the fort erie bridge know just how dangerous that water is!

Yep.....sure gets dicey thru there, and that reminds me of a dufus story:

The guys i saw a few years back water skiing and tubing thru that stretch of water, now those are some dufus's

The first time I fished the St. Clair river I was fishing in the shipping channel and kept my eye on an approaching freighter and marveling at it's size as it approached us. As it got closer I noticed the size of the bow wave it was producing and had to open my engine up and head for shore and still barely missed swamping the boat so I think that I deserve the award.

One time I was out on Georgian Bay and was working a nice shoreline for Bass about 50 feet from the shore. There was two of us on the boat both casting Hulla Poppers so it was very clear that we were fishing. I see a boat aproaching us and I figure that it will pass behind us. Nope, instead this idiot drives exactly in between us and the shoreline. All I could do was shake my head. :dunno:

last summer Canada day on Scugog, we were fishing near port perry. As soon as it started getting dark, all these boaters start flying towards the bay to see the fireworks.

Probably about 15-20 boats (mostly cruisers) flew by us at full speed right where we were fishing. It got to the point where we had to move or else possibly get hit.

Someone actually died that night i believe

Mine has to be a guy from 2008. Fishing on simcoe just past the Gannon narrows during the perch festival. Was early morning just after dawn, could barely see anything 10 feet infront of you due to the fog coming off the water. All we can here is a screaming engine full throttle going past us. Never did see the boat. Thankfully we never heard him hit anyone.

Mine has to be a guy from 2008. Fishing on simcoe just past the Gannon narrows during the perch festival. Was early morning just after dawn, could barely see anything 10 feet infront of you due to the fog coming off the water. All we can here is a screaming engine full throttle going past us. Never did see the boat. Thankfully we never heard him hit anyone.

Seen that one a million times on Lake O, and have almost been hit. :wallbash:

All those that drive past a stopped boat within 30'-40' at full throttle without giving a second thought. Unfortunately we will be reading about another sad story someday. I work with the sister of the guys that lost his life on Scugog last year, it ws heartbreaking for her and still is. A personal mistake cost him and a buddy their lives. We must always be diligent out there on the water and use every safety precaution available, while respecting others.

I haven't been on the water enough to have seen really stupid acts, but while fishing a couple weeks ago some guy puts on a pencil bobber and starts using it as a lure???

Did he put a hook on at least? If he did, he may have been targeting pike. :lol:

Was out on Gloucestor Pool lastnight and some idiot in a big(-ish) boat thought that mooring it right in the MIDDLE OF THE CHANNEL would be a good idea, especially after a blind corner, lol!!

I didn't get that close, but I did to make sure he heard my engine and felt the rocking of the waves. What an idiot.. So many back bays to spend the night in on that lake.

Last summer while trolling Lake Ontario my buddy and I were a bout 5 miles out from Bronte, some moron in at least a 30' cabin cruiser and a nice one decides to fly right by use a full speed. He was maybe 30' from the back of the boat if our lines weren't down deep he would have easily cut them.

I gave him a friendly wave and he slowed down and came back to see what our problem was. If I had something big enough after our talk his boat would have had a hole in it.

Some people have no brains.

Two guys heading towards to the Pickering Nuke plant out flow in February with a south wind in a Canoe. Felt obligated to make sure they made it past the cross current chop, thankfully they stopped before it or we would of been put in danger as well.

I deserve the award too Staffman.. A severe storm came up on us in a T in Simcoe a few years ago and we were at the top end of the lake. We had almost won the T the day before and had another great bag that day that could win. We tried to run back to cooks for the weigh in right in the centere of this flash storm. We saw other boats running behind the islands to ride it out. I had never seen Lady Simcoe so mean, nor have a since! The waves were huge, that's fine we are used to that, the worst part is they were so close together. Impossible to navigate in a 20 foot boat. You would crest one and the one behind would slam you and so on.

We made it half way and turned back to hide behind Thorah. We almost didn't make it. Water was up over the seats with both bilges at capacity. Trolling motor busted, both windsheilds busted and our egos. We put oursleves and possibly other anglers in danger that were watching us. Unfortunately a couple folks did lose their lives that day.

It is ok to make mistakes, as long as you learn from them.

Edited by Harrison

Years ago on Simcoe I was fishing for perch with my dad out of my old 14ft tinny. This 35ft+ cruiser is idling towards us and when about 20ft away decides to get up on plane. :wallbash: Only had to go another 30-40 ft to be respectful of our position and not throw the 4-5ft wake at us.

Last year on Lake Ontario it was a beautiful start to the day and then the fog rolled in. We kept on fishing and blasting the horn every so often to let others know that there was another boat in the area. I hear the sound of a boat that appears to running at WOT, are you kidding me?? :wallbash: Sound the horn as this :asshat: is getting closer and then appears and misses my planer board by about 20ft. He has the wife and kids on board heading somewhere in a hurry. As he see's me I hear the wife yelling at him to slow down which he did as he disappeared into the fog again. Can only imagine the silence (and rightfully so) aboard that boat until they reached their destination.

Certainly have had many other doofus encounters but those two are most remembered. Also got to love the boat launch doofus's but that is another thread on it's own.

Two guys heading towards to the Pickering Nuke plant out flow in February with a south wind in a Canoe. Felt obligated to make sure they made it past the cross current chop, thankfully they stopped before it or we would of been put in danger as well.

I deserve the award too Staffman.. A severe storm came up on us in a T in Simcoe a few years ago and we were at the top end of the lake. We had almost won the T the day before and had another great bag that day that could win. We tried to run back to cooks for the weigh in right in the centere of this flash storm. We saw other boats running behind the islands to ride it out. I had never seen Lady Simcoe so mean, nor have a since! The waves were huge, that's fine we are used to that, the worst part is they were so close together. Impossible to navigate in a 20 foot boat. You would crest one and the one behind would slam you and so on.

We made it half way and turned back to hide behind Thorah. We almost didn't make it. Water was up over the seats with both bilges at capacity. Trolling motor busted, both windsheilds busted and our egos. We put oursleves and possibly other anglers in danger that were watching us. Unfortunately a couple folks did lose their lives that day.

It is ok to make mistakes, as long as you learn from them.

Well said, I'm learning from reading some of these posts. It's great when people share and can admit on occasion they themselves are not perfect.

Last year when I had my 14' tin boat with a 9.9 tiller I launched at Elephant Lake, had the boat on the dock when me and whoever was with me at the time climbed in. Well my old motor was tricky and you had to twist the throttle all the way to get it started after it had been sitting awhile, so I opened the throttle and pulled the cord, not realizing the boat was in forward, not nuetral. I missed another boat that was tied to the dock by about 4-5' and there were a bunch of people sitting by the docks in lawn chairs, man did I ever feel like a jackass lol.

Well said, I'm learning from reading some of these posts. It's great when people share and can admit on occasion they themselves are not perfect.

I never drive my boat like a ingorant jerk, that being said I have been caught up in some nasty weather due to a bad call.

Was fishing bass a few miles out on Erie. I was fishing away the waves were a foot maybe foot and a half. All the forecasts said that the winds were going to calm down. All of a sudden I feel the winds pick up big time probably blowing 30kmh from the SW. I figured I would give it a few more minutes to see if it was just a gust thing that happens on Erie. Shortly after I notice the dark clouds rolling in and the wind picked up again. By the time I got my Lifejacket on and the motor going the waves had got alot bigger. Next thing you know, I am out in a 16.5 foot Deep V with a 70hrsp and the waves were at least 6.5' and white caping all over. I had the bilge going constantly and was lucky to get back. If someone else was driving the boat I would have had a crapped my pants forsure.

If it weren't for my grandfather teaching me how to boat since I was a kid I highly doubt J would have made it. Erie is one nasty lake when it wants.