Walleye Scar (from prick) on Finger

manjo39

What's happening with it?? Did you get it looked at?? Did they cut off your finger and if so I hope you took a video to share......... :whistling:

Let us know because I'm sure a few people have had it happen and would like to know what to look for.

This is just me, but when ever I get a sliver stuck under my skin, i cut it out myself, then treat it with peroxide and polysporin.

I hate the feeling of having something buried under my skin.

It sounds like there's something stuck in there to me. If you don't like the sound of digging it out your self, then I would go get it checked.

Thats what the doc is gonna do. Save yourself the hassle with the wait and get er done yourself. It happened to me when I reached in the pail to grab one to clean and it kicked and got me. So yeah had a nice snack the next day.

Tried to dig it out after the first couple of days, but I didn't see anything to dig out. Seems like a small pin hole with nothing in it.

Poured alcohol on it yesterday, polysporin and a bandaid. Doesn't seem to be getting better.

I dug into it today, but still can't see anything there. Going to the walk in clinic tonight.

Stay tuned.

Make sure to burn the stump so it doesn't get infected again.

I've found that if you cover the stump with gun power and light that up, it cauterizes the wound nicely. A few days and you're good as new...well minus the missing part.

Or you could just pick out the spine and clean it up as fish_fishburn and others have suggested. ;)

Heres a story for leaving something a little too long....i crushed a finger in the winch loading the boat and thought nothing of it (broke the skin all around the nail) ....but from handling fish time and time again and getting wet each time ....it actually turned into flesh eating disease after 6 days....the fever was terrible and the pain of the infection 10x worse....i ended up in hospital getting the top of my finger removed...the doc said to be prepared to never have a fingernail there again but left a tiny little seed of the thingy thaqt grows nails...ive got a fingernail today but ill never piss around with fish water and open wounds again...

I would get it checked to save yourself from what i went through ...NOT FUN...

Good Luck

I guess they amputated, Manjo is unable to type his update on the finger incident....

Latest update: I went to the walk-in clinic yesterday. The doc looked at it, rubbed his finger over it and said 'I got good news and bad news ..." He didn't really say that ...

He said in order to know for sure, he is sending me for X-Rays to see if there is anything stuck in there. Fish fin/scale/parts etc have calcium and will show up on an X-Ray. I felt dissappointed, because now I have to find time to go for an X-Ray. Couldn't he just fix it right there an then. He didn't want to cut unless he knew for sure. And if it does have to be cut, he has to send me to a plastic surgeon. Anyway, hopefully tonight after work I can make it to the XRay, but the kids have soccer and this weekend is fishing time. Really need to find the time to go for the Xray to know for sure. Or maybe I just go for a second opinion in the Kawarthas as they might have more experience with fish cut stuff.

Before I left, I asked the doc if I would ever be able to play the piano. He said if there is nothing in there it will heal in time and yes I will be able to play the piano. I said Great! because I never knew how to play the piano before!

i had the exact same thing happen to me, except not a fish.....my cat he doesn't like his travel box for vet visits and the very sight of it will turn him into a devil cat and he possess unnatural strength, it's actually unbelievable...ha

he got a claw right on the bottom side of the first knuckle on my thumb, bled a bit but didn't think nothing of it...a week later it hurts like crazy and there's a little bump...i figured the tip of his claw broke off and i tried to squeeze it out but nothing, soaked an exacto blade in alcohol and cut it open, gave it a squeeze, tried digging around with tweezers but there was nothing in there that i could find

gave up on it and eventually a few weeks later the pain ended....3 yrs later i still have a little bump, pretty sure i would've noticed flesh eating disease or anything else by now

i also have a visible piece of pencil graphite in my palm from a grade 2 fight :whistling: lol

I am not sure if mine is lead or graphite but I would guess it was about 30 years now and is still cleaning visible. I had the pencil between my fingers with a fist pretending to shoot spider webs. I turned around and BAM!!! pencil hit a desk... and stuck into tmy hand. lol come to think of it, it was for sure in grade 2.

You probably don't have ANYTHING in there.....but you DO HAVE infection in there......LANCE it with a CLEAN pin or knife.....but first wash it with alcohol and make sure your tool is disinfected by heating it up on the stove.....then cut or prick it and DRAIN it......then make sure you get some peroxide INTO the wound....it will then heal.......have had to this MANY times to myself or family members....actually quite good at it.....drives my wife crazy when I "operate" on myself...LOL

Edited by Billy Bob

I always carry a small bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide in my tackle box .. ALWAYS... it seems the farther you get into the backwoods, the more likely a cut will get infected and as several have said this can lead to very BAD things ... anyhow so far I have had 100% success by dabbing the cut (sliver/puncture etc) with a liberal amount of peroxide on a piece of tissue .. then putting a band-aid on it ... you will know its infected already if it bubbles when you do ... by the way this does NOT sting as many fear ... and within minutes it reduces the swelling .. the next morning your red swollen finger will be forgotten ... I NEVER leave home without it.

You probably don't have ANYTHING in there.....but you DO HAVE infection in there......LANCE it with a CLEAN pin or knife.....but first wash it with alcohol and make sure your tool is disinfected by heating it up on the stove.....then cut or prick it and DRAIN it......then make sure you get some peroxide INTO the wound....it will then heal.......have had to this MANY times to myself or family members....actually quite good at it.....drives my wife crazy when I "operate" on myself...LOL

Past experiences would tend to have me agree with the above. thumbsup_anim.gif

My grandfather fought in the trenches of France during the war to end all wars and had a bomb explode right over his head one day. A bunch of his buds were killed and he ended up with a whack of shrapnel imbedded in his body.

The doc's were able to remove all of it except one piece and till the day he died many many years later you could still see & feel the black lump of metal buried under the skin in his arm.