Dad's Tiger Moth flight

Dave Bailey

After struggling for a few years to convert the original 8mm videocam files into something the computer would recognize, I've finally managed to put together a video of the flight my father took in 2008. I may tweak this a bit someday, but here it is for your viewing pleasure.

He must have had some awful frightful moments in the Tiger Moth.

He must have been exhilarated by the sound of the engine, the smell of the fuel, the vibration of the steel, the change in sounds the exact moment that the tires left the grass, and the wind rushing around his goggles. Combine that with the memories that it must have brought back to him and you have a very special day.

He must have had some awful frightful moments in the Tiger Moth.

Only one. He was doing a circuit and all of a sudden an aircraft appeared from the opposite direction, travelling like a bat out of hell. It zipped by him rather close and he was shocked to see that it had no propeller. He informed his superiors on landing, and was told that he didn't see anything, and he was not to tell anyone that he didn't see anything. What he had actually encountered was the first British jet powered aircraft, the Gloster E28/39:

Gloster_E28-39_first_prototyp_lr.jpg

Only one. He was doing a circuit and all of a sudden an aircraft appeared from the opposite direction, travelling like a bat out of hell. It zipped by him rather close and he was shocked to see that it had no propeller. He informed his superiors on landing, and was told that he didn't see anything, and he was not to tell anyone that he didn't see anything. What he had actually encountered was the first British jet powered aircraft, the Gloster E28/39:

Sorta like getting passed on the highway by a formula one car while driving a family sedan. :o

Thanks for all the kind comments folks, it's really heartwarming to be able to share something like this.

the smile on his face as he poses next to Audrey at the end says it all. Well done. clapping.gif

Not sure if you read the comments below the video, but Audrey is my sister's name. She lives in England, but it was like having her with us, and it brought a tear to our eyes.

As a side note, the pilot, Dave Hadfield, is the brother of Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield.

brave man then- and even braver now , knowing now, how poorly those things were constructed and still hoping in there like a champ. the whole world thanks him and all his "brothers" :worthy:

They make look flimsy, but they are actually pretty tough. The fabric covering means that they can be stressed without fatiguing metal, and when it gets old you just sew a new skin on. There are plenty still flying, a testament to the people who designed and made them.

Thanks for posting the video Dave.

Must have been an amazing day for your dad to get back up in that old plane and re-live the glory days. It looked like he was clapping after the landing too. I remember you posting awhile back about your dad flying one of those big coastal patrol planes for the RAF during the war.

My mom's brother was a bomber pilot during the war with the Canadian Air Force but was unfortunately killed along with his crew when the plane went down.

Before the war though he delivered air mail around rural Ontario in this plane. This is him standing beside his plane but I have no idea what kind it is, although it may have been a Tiger Moth like your dad's :dunno:

Cnv0381-1.jpg

Thanks for posting the video Dave.

Must have been an amazing day for your dad to get back up in that old plane and re-live the glory days. It looked like he was clapping after the landing too. I remember you posting awhile back about your dad flying one of those big coastal patrol planes for the RAF during the war.

My mom's brother was a bomber pilot during the war with the Canadian Air Force but was unfortunately killed along with his crew when the plane went down.

Before the war though he delivered air mail around rural Ontario in this plane. This is him standing beside his plane but I have no idea what kind it is, although it may have been a Tiger Moth like your dad's :dunno:

Cnv0381-1.jpg

It's a Moth, but not a Tiger. de Havilland built the basic Moth first, and there were various models following, with the Tiger Moth being the best known and most widely used. Can't tell from that pic which model that is exactly, the interplane strut on the port wing (can't see the starboard one) has a horizontal brace that wasn't fitted to the Moth as far as I know, unless that's a minor modification for greater strength. I suspect it's the original DH.60 Moth, the progenitor of the breed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_DH.60_Moth

And from an old soldier to an old airman, a big salute to your uncle.