Point And Shoot Digital Cameras

solopaddler

My good digital is now on the bottom of the Grand River in Dunnville (don't ask :whistling: )

Been researching cameras today as I need another one asap.

Can anyone recommend one in particular and if so why?

After some brief research the Canon S100 looks pretty good, does anyone have this one?

I have an Olympus. The picture quality is disappointing. Also, lots of pictures are yellowish. Another thing, my camera uses XD cards which are harder to find and are more expensive.

However, the camera is well protected from the elements and takes quite a bit of abuse.

My daughter was given a Canon and even though it is an expensive model, the picture quality is great.

Mike when i had to replace mine i took the advice of Ryan (Urban Fisherman) and bought one of the Fugi water proof cameras....its been a year and a half of total abuse on the camera and keeps on working :dunno: it has video functions and take pretty darn good shots @ 10MP ....the only complaint i have with it is its a bit too compact for getting the SD card and battery in and out of....but still a great buy for the money...i paid 200 but i think they have dropped in price to a buck fifty or so .....so it wont break the bank if you have the inevitable happen again...

would i buy this camera again? (glad you asked) i think so but i havent seen whats out there now as a durable cheap fishing camera that takes pretty good pics

edit to add ...i also have a floating strap attached to it ...so its just a matter of turning the boat around and picking up the camera :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Twocoda

Thanks guys. I'm not really interested in waterproof or shockproof this time. My main criteria is compactness and quality of picture and video.

Dave I still have the Olympus, that's my daughters camera now. It was my new camera that went for a swim.

Was never impressed with the Olympus beyond its ruggedness.

My good digital is now on the bottom of the Grand River in Dunnville (don't ask )

Im asking.It,s got to be a great story Mike. :sarcasm:

I,m still using my FE-20 Olympus for my fishing/hunting trips.If it went to the bottom of the river,I would find something that was more water friendly.

Mike

The Canon Powershot D10 is supposed to be a good all weather camera as are the Panasonic Lumix TS series.

You already know about the Olympus Stylus series (they sink!!!) LOL :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Love the Canon D10. Good all around mid price point & shoot. :good:

Canon's tough to beat.

Decide whether you want a viewfinder or not.

Having one helps in bright light or if you want to makesure you capture a facial expression.

If not you get a larger viewfinder.

Make sure you can force it to flash. For fish pictures you usually want the flash -especially if your subject is wearing a hat and his face is in the shade.

Get one that shoots HD video.

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC TS3

It's awesome for fishing-easy to use and best of all it's a rugged camera

Which means it's;

Shockproof from a drop of up to 3 metres

Waterproof up to 40 feet

Takes underwater pictures

Has a gps in it- gps can be off or on. When onitwill tell you the exact coordinates of every picture which is great for when you forget to use a waypoint in the excitement

Got it as a Christmas gift but believe they are available between 275-300 dollars

Im asking.It,s got to be a great story Mike. :sarcasm:

I,m still using my FE-20 Olympus for my fishing/hunting trips.If it went to the bottom of the river,I would find something that was more water friendly.

Oh there's a good story...on the camera itself! Let's just say that there is no longer any "evidence" of some catches my wife wouldn't otherwise believe me about. :blush:

At least I know what was on it! (and Mike can sign an affidavit verifying it! :D )

Mike, if you can afford this Canon, it will be worth the money. I know someone that got it and absolutely loves it. Great reviews on it as well. It has a wide angle lens and 14x optical zoom. 12mp and HD video. Impressive specs. It may be my next compact camera. There is a waterproof case specific for this camera that you can get later if you want as well for diving or taking your new camera for a swim on the Grand...

This camera should give you the quality that you are looking for with photos and video.

Canon SX230

My good digital is now on the bottom of the Grand River in Dunnville (don't ask :whistling: )

That happens all the time to river rats like us.

I've always liked my Lumix's... but what I like more though, is the old Jasc Paintshop program that goes along with the finishing.

What about a little Nikon Mike? I haven't heard much about them as few people seem to buy them... but man, it's Nikon..?

I'll second the TS3. I have the TS2 and the TS3 is a great evolution. New GPS feature makes it great for fishing.

You said picture quality and video are important and it does both amazingly. HD video is probably it's strongest feature against direct competition and picture quality is top notch. I use it for my business all the time. My website pics were taken with it and I am by no means a photographer.

TS3 Test Detailed review here.

So the water and shock protection would be an added bonus that I'm sure you'll find some use for :) But that said non-weather Panasonics are cheaper with same creative quality.

Mike, I forgot to mention in my email that I've also got a Panasonic TS3 for those wet/rainy days where I don't wanna bring out my 60D. It's a good little camera, but I'm not a fan of the user menu at all.. If this is purely for a fishing camera, it's tough to beat the rugged package that the TS3 comes in.. If you're looking for an all around camera, there are better ones out there. I usually suggest the best Canon SD series a person can afford :) If you want a little more zoom out of a compact camera, the SX series that Aaron suggested deserves a look. Bought my mom a SX200 for her birthday last year, takes some great pics with lots and lots of range.

Edited by BillM

And to add to the confusion even more, you should also check out the Olympus XZ-1 if it's in your budget. Video quality doesn't seem so great (compared to the Canon S95 which I used) but the photos I took with the one I borrowed were superb - Sharpness was excellent and colour seemed accurate. Lens apperture goes down to F/1.8 and it does an OK job in lower light conditions (eg. indoors) - Still not comparable to DSLR quality in low light but you shouldn't expect it to be considering the sensor is a fraction of the size.

I'm also in the market for a compact point and shoot for underwater work when I'm ice fishing...DSLR + underwater housing doesn't fit into the hole.LOL

Mike, Shadowfly has a Casio for sale in the classifieds.

Here is the description and he has some pics.

selling a new camera (used for 1 event) condition 10/10

camera is Casio exilim EX-H5 its an amazing work horse but i have an slr and an older Casio exilim. One the best option on the ex-h5 is the manual focus not all cameras have this option.

Product Features

Best Shot Mode: 41 Best Shot Modes are available to help you quickly adjust with a range of settings so that you always get a perfect shot

CCD Shift Stabilization: This feature stabilizes the image mechanically during recording whenever camera movement is detected.

Dynamic Photo Animated e-Greetings: Place your subject on any background: Thanks to the high-speed image processing capability of the new engine

One Button Video: One-Button Video makes it very easy for you to switch back and forth between still and video modes to capture the perfect moment

10X Ultra Wide optical Zoom Lens (24mm): A 24mm 10X Ultra-Wide Zoom lens helps you capture beautiful wide open vistas

Images come out crisp and clear, even under conditions that are prone to camera movement

A moving subject can be cut out of a number of images that have been shot and combined with a different still shot that forms the background

The camera is brand new and your welcome to see it and test with my sd card.

asking price: 150$ Firm don't email me with lower offers please thanks.

Thanks guys you've all been very helpful!

Oh there's a good story...on the camera itself! Let's just say that there is no longer any "evidence" of some catches my wife wouldn't otherwise believe me about. :blush:

At least I know what was on it! (and Mike can sign an affidavit verifying it! :D )

Fish? What fish? There were no fish caught! :D

And to add to the confusion even more, you should also check out the Olympus XZ-1 if it's in your budget. Video quality doesn't seem so great (compared to the Canon S95 which I used) but the photos I took with the one I borrowed were superb - Sharpness was excellent and colour seemed accurate. Lens apperture goes down to F/1.8 and it does an OK job in lower light conditions (eg. indoors) - Still not comparable to DSLR quality in low light but you shouldn't expect it to be considering the sensor is a fraction of the size.

I'm also in the market for a compact point and shoot for underwater work when I'm ice fishing...DSLR + underwater housing doesn't fit into the hole.LOL

Thanks Mike, but I doubt I'll buy another Olympus product again.

Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS is the best by far in its price range. I have this, quality of videos and photos is superb.

From what I've seen I tend to agree, but I have no yardstick to measure what I'm seeing against.

I'm not a camera guy so have no clue how the Canons stack up against other makes.

I have a Canon SX20(20 times zoom that I like for children and other wildlife, esp when canoeing). I have had it for a couple of years-(ever since mine found the bottom of the Mad River---you can ask if you like but I'll never tell oops.gif) and love it. It has most of the features of a SLR and Canon is noted for its quality glass .