Knots and braided line

Dave Bailey

Trying braided line for the first time (actually the second, but we don't want to revisit that thread again...) and I've read that it works a bit differently from mono as far as knots go. According to a piece in the latest Just Fishing strength can drop to 50% :o

So now I'm looking for help from you experts. Up to now I've palomared just about everything, it's easy on my arthritic fingers and ageing eyes. Occasionally a clinch knot or a trilene knot. I would imagine that the rough surface of braid might create havoc trying to snug up a knot, it won't slide as easily as mono that's for sure. Anyway, are these knots okay with braid, or are there better?

And as far as strength goes, call me nuts (it's been done before) but I'm wondering if a drop of Krazy Glue might hold it together. I know it might make for some frustrating time getting the terminal tackle off, but I could just cut above it, put a new swivel on, and later spend an evening with nail clippers getting line off old ones. You can tell I have no life :P

By the way, the line currently installed is 20lb Berkely PowerPro.

I use the improved clinch for EVERYTHING. Braid, mono, fluoro....joining leaders....never fails me.

One thing I do though, is melt the tag end off. It leaves a little melted nub on the end of the braid, that won't slip thru IF the knot slips. I've never had a problem.

S.

I use the improved clinch for EVERYTHING. Braid, mono, fluoro....joining leaders....never fails me.

One thing I do though, is melt the tag end off. It leaves a little melted nub on the end of the braid, that won't slip thru IF the knot slips. I've never had a problem.

S.

Yep.. I melt a ball as well.. stops the fraying plus gives that added no-slip bonus

Trying braided line for the first time (actually the second, but we don't want to revisit that thread again...) and I've read that it works a bit differently from mono as far as knots go. According to a piece in the latest Just Fishing strength can drop to 50% :o

So now I'm looking for help from you experts. Up to now I've palomared just about everything, it's easy on my arthritic fingers and ageing eyes. Occasionally a clinch knot or a trilene knot. I would imagine that the rough surface of braid might create havoc trying to snug up a knot, it won't slide as easily as mono that's for sure. Anyway, are these knots okay with braid, or are there better?

And as far as strength goes, call me nuts (it's been done before) but I'm wondering if a drop of Krazy Glue might hold it together. I know it might make for some frustrating time getting the terminal tackle off, but I could just cut above it, put a new swivel on, and later spend an evening with nail clippers getting line off old ones. You can tell I have no life :P

By the way, the line currently installed is 20lb Berkely PowerPro.

Yes....braids and fused lines are notorious for having weak knot strength and that's why 20 lb braids and fused lines have a breaking strength way over 20 lbs. The strongest of the lot is Fireline. 20 lb test Fireline breaks at around 47 lbs. So even if the knot diminishes the line strength by 50%, you are still using 20 lb test line.

There have been a couple of independent strength tests carried out over the years and you can find them on the internet. I think I read that the Palomar knot only loses about 20 to 30% of the rated breaking strength of braids and fused lines.

Edited by Dabluz

Thank you gentlemen, sounds like the Palomar is in the lead so far.

I was using the uni to uni to tie leader to braid until got shown the improved surgeon's knot, way simpler , smaller to go through the guides and no slip.

Yep, palomar knot for terminal connections and double uni for joining to mono or flouro leaders.

X2 - these are the knots I use too. I've lost a lot of fish but never from knot failure!

I think the 50% strength reduction applies to any line or rope with a knot in it.

S.

THAT'S THE SAME METHOD I USE AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT..THE ONLY THING IS IF IT FRAYES A BIT THAN RE TIE IT

albright or improved albright/alberto know to connect braid to leader of roughly equal sizes....sometimes use a jam knot to tie 60+ lb leaders

uni knot for tying straight to terminal tackle...with light braid i double the line up....double the line up and tie a trilene knot works fine for me

Dave, bring the stuff from the pic in your avatar over to my place and we can tie and test stuff till the cow's come home (and I don't mean the women ;)). Palomar all the way here for basic braid and "nanofil" for any slicker lines. uni-2-uni to join any braid to mono/floro has yet to fail me. an extra wrap or 2 helps too

Edited by GBW

Is the nanofil knot just a Palomar with an extra pass under before putting the hook/lure through the loop?

I call that the "double Palomar" and it's the one I use....especially when using fine fused or braided line. It does not slip at all.

Pull hard on a single Palomar to see if it slips. I did a few times and was surprised to see it slip so I went to the double Palomar.