Excalibur Unleashed!

solopaddler

Picked up my new float rod yesterday and once again Spiel has outdone himself. It is truly a thing of beauty!

It's a 13' 2pc CTS blank rated 4-8lb.

Handle was built precisely to my spec's.

Wood components in the handle had an astounding amount of green in them when Chris had the block of wood turned down and I think it looks phenominal.

Old English bronze reel seat fittings match the wood perfectly I think.

At my request there are also two matching wood accents in both the fore and rear grip.

I requested an oversized version of a western fly rod grip for my foregrip. Chris turned the cork to perfection. There are some teeny flaws in the cork (really good fluoro grade cork is impossible to find), but beyond that, it's the nicest foregrip I've seen on a float rod.

Overall very subtle and classy, I love it.

I am so over the plethora of composite inserts most guys are putting on their handles these days.

That candy cane look is just so last year! :rolleyes:

:rofl2:

Guides are titanium frame Fuji SIC with dark brown main wraps and two subtle turns of metallic copper trim.

Everything blends together seamlessly.

CTS2.jpg

CTS1.jpg

CTS3.jpg

ctsrod012.jpg

ctsrod011.jpg

Thanks buddy, you da man! :thumbsup_anim:

I have had the pleasure of seeing some of his custom work! he built a rod for me for a very special friend some years ago. Truly beautiful and functional creations.

While I do have two very beautiful custom rods that were given to me as gifts over the years I do not have one of his but someday, I will!

My thanks to all for the compliments..

It's always a pleasure for me to meet the requirements of my customers and have them pleased with the end results.

I see it didn't take you long Mike to get the line through the guides for it's maiden run tomorrow, I hope it exceeds all your expectations.

I remember the first rod Spiel made for me. It took me a while to match a reel to it. I really didn't think any reel was worthy and that's a fact. It finally came down to a Calcutta 700 and it's just a perfect muskie trolling combo. Now my planning is a little better so the rods he's crafted since, already had a reel waiting for them.

I'll be asking Spiel in the next week or so for another.

Or we can head out together without Bill, he's a pain in the asshat.gif anyway.

laugh.gif

Ah Mike if you think Bill's a pain in the asshat.gif I guess theres no hope for me, theres no emoticons there to describe me thank god, BTW the new CTS is gorgeous, and it has Speil's heart and soul into every creation of his. Wont take too many drifts to break her in the way the runs have been.

Ah Mike if you think Bill's a pain in the asshat.gif I guess theres no hope for me, theres no emoticons there to describe me thank god, BTW the new CTS is gorgeous, and it has Speil's heart and soul into every creation of his. Wont take too many drifts to break her in the way the runs have been.

Just kidding Steve, Bill's a great guy. ;) At some point we should definitely fish together!

Edited by solopaddler