Fishermen stranded on Simcoe

Joey

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Thanks Cliff. clapping.gif

Who hasn't had an itch that needed to be scratched.

Well these peoples itch that had to be scratched put the lives of their rescuers at risk, not just their own. It's just plain selfish stupidity no matter how you try and church it up.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

I am really sorry you feel that way, you truly have never found yourself in one of those situations where you went "OH crap"!

You are driving down the road, it was claer and dry. You suddenly hit a patch of black ice that shouldn't have been there. "OH crap"!

You put something on the BBQ, the phone rings, you answer it and get distracted. Next thing you know the BBQ is on fire and close to setting everything within easy range on fire "OH crap"!

People in their right mind don't go out there to put their or anyone elses live at risk but sometimes "OH crap" happens. Cut these people some slack and I truly hope you never find yourself in an "OH crap" situation but if you do, I hope there is a HERO there to give you another chance!

It's just plain selfish stupidity no matter how you try and church it up.

The new memo on my fridge door says "try to be as wise as Lucas everyday, for failure to do so will have him look down upon me for being less wise than he!" worthy.gif

You know I see both sides of the story here---(Canadian eh)

My 1st reaction was---what the heck were you guys doin out there---I know i see safety preached here and elsewhere lots

So maybe Bill thought the same and it just got phrased differently

I'm sure we all don't want to see anybody hurt--but we should try and take all the precautions we can---then if the ouch hits---it's one of those things--and we all help out

So the outdoors is more than a trip to LeBarons or sail---it is getting informed also---and I'm not trying to start a war here---just trying to understand.

I liken it something I tell my son when we're going somewhere----I tell him--I maintain all I can think of---then if something breaks down---it's one of those things

If I don't maintain them---I have nobody to blame but me

Again --I can see both sides---did I mention that?? :rolleyes:

That is the stupidest response I have ever heard! I truly hope you never make an error in judgement! But after reviewing some of your responses I think that is inevitable!

Cliff, you gotta turn your sarcasm meter back on :)

uhohw.jpg

The problem is inexperience, many guys will go out just because someone else is out there. It's never a good idea to be on ice adjacent to open water first of all, and more importantly not when the wind is blowing hard (40KM/Hr today) towards open water!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by tonyb

Great job by the rescuers!

Each person on the ice flow had the opportunity to step back, assess the situation and decide if they were willing to take that risk. ..unless they were kids, addicts or mentally challenged, the responsibility was their own but the consequences were shared.

Police warning, high winds, warm temps, open water are all clear signs that they should not have been ice fishing in that area.

Luckily everyone survived, it could have been worse. That's some scary but it will make people in other countries laugh.

My brother used to be a volunteer firemen and they received a call late one night from someone in a cottage saying he could hear someone calling for help out on the ice somewhere.

My brother and 3 other firemen took a ladder and some ropes and started out towards the voices.

Trouble was the ice was very weak and they actually broke thru a couple times but eventually they located the fisherman in the water. One man was dead and the other was close to it.

They used the ladder to get close enough and tie ropes on them and eventually they pulled the fishermen out and got the one man back to shore and into the waiting ambulance then went back to retrieve the dead man.

My brother and the other 3 rescuers did an excellent job in a very serious situation but very nearly died themselves in the process.

So yes, some folks make mistakes and die, but sadly they often take the rescuers with them.

Be careful out there folks.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

"try to be as wise as Lucas everyday, for failure to do so will have him look down upon me for being less wise than he!"

just seems like common sense to me. i'm not trying to be a smartass.

We heard a few close family memebers of ours in their 40's & 50's who grew up right there where the ice broke , and who also spent their lifes there as avid fishermen year round were two of the rescued this afternoon . We have never looked at thease men as stupid in any way , just today it was the wrong place at the wrong time .

We heard a few close family memebers of ours in their 40's & 50's who grew up right there where the ice broke , and who also spent their lifes there as avid fishermen year round were two of the rescued this afternoon . We have never looked at thease men as stupid in any way , just today it was the wrong place at the wrong time .

Well put. Good people make mistakes, but often they are avoidable

Edited by Rod Caster

With all the talk about the ice conditions in that area from guys that know,you would think it was a common sense thing to stay away. When I hear from a friend that knows (more then I) I heed his words. And yes,wrong spot at the wrong time. I guess.

Because of all what could happen , " IS " the reason why i don't do hardwater . You can beg me all you like but you will never lead me out on perfect good 12" ice with 125' of water under it . So you know how i feel about the hole thing . I squeeze my butt cheeks every time i see or hear of people out on the ice but this will go on for ever and hopfuly we will always have others who will go get them if they get in trouble . Theres nothing any of us can do to stop it and i except that and wish them a safe return .

Ice fishing is generally fairly safe if you use your head and follow some simple rules. The thing is, people have been fishing that area on Simcoe for quite some time and I am sure those anglers thought today wouldn't be any different. I am sure they all knew that fishing in that area so close to open water wasn't particularly safe...but, nothing happened last week or the week before, right? People take those sort of risks every day. Ever drive down the 401? Half the people are doing 140km/h+. If that's not dangerous for them and everyone else on the highway, I don't know what is.

Personally I have not fished for whitefish/trout on Simcoe at all this year because I am not at all comfortable fishing in Kemp bay with open water to the east on the main lake. It was just a matter of time before the wind pushed that ice out. I am surprised it hasn't happened sooner.

Anyway, I am glad everyone was returned safe and there were no unfortunate mishaps with the emergency personnel.