Fishermen stranded on Simcoe

Joey

I'm with Cliff, I must have missed your sarcasm too! :wallbash::wallbash::asshat:

This coming from the guy who has an avatar of his kids getting run over by a truck! You should know what sarcasm is :)

Of course I wasn't talking literally with my first reply, I'd never wish harm upon anyone.. Hopefully they've learned a very valuable lesson from all of this. Kudo's to the rescue team that got them off the ice safe and sound!

Edited by BillM

People are so quick to pounce, it's ridiculous. I know Bill very well and consider him a good friend. Tone and intent are easily misinterpreted.

Regardless the man does have a point.

Cliff your analogy of someone driving along and suddenly slipping on black ice isn't a good one.

There's a world of difference between that kind of freak incident, and knowingly putting your life and others at risk for a bunch of dink perch.

Here's hoping everyone made it back safe, fishermen and rescuers alike, and hopefully learned a valuable lesson in the process.

Just watched the news---scary

Reports are saying they've been warning about ice conditions for a week now

AND the rescuers almost ended in a jackpot

Me personally--would not go on ice right next to open water--But I've been around lots

This could have been bad

This coming from the guy who has an avatar of his kids getting run over by a truck! You should know what sarcasm is :)

Of course I wasn't talking literally with my first reply, I'd never wish harm upon anyone.. Hopefully they've learned a very valuable lesson from all of this. Kudo's to the rescue team that got them off the ice safe and sound!

Guess I was wrong.Thankfully everones ok.If the outcome was worse your comments would have offended more.

sooo..

apparently they're not allowed to bring anything onto the helicopter.. my sources says that there are a lot of flashers, rods, reels and stuff left behind.. if those items are inside a sled, where would be the best location to recover those items given the wind direction? thumbsup_anim.gif

Oh, I'm still trying to get a definitive answer on this.. do those guys get billed for the helicopter ride? if so, how much?

thought I heard on the radio kids were rescued. I should check to be sure.

edit...

from the Ottawa Citizen of all places:

from an OPP spokesperson:

"Five or six people were "plucked from thew water" , Leon said, with some young children. Leon said he did not have information about how many men and women were involved or how many children, although there were "some young children".

http://bit.ly/xgwBpC

No idea how up to date this info is however...

Edited by woodenboater

In that news report, they said the ice was a foot thick in some spots. Where I was last weekend off the 4th the ice was 1" think in spots with 3" of half frozen slush on top. My foot broke through once. Spud went thru in one hit several times.

It's great they everyone survived, and only the idiot on the quad who tried to jump the crack got injured.

Watching the video, I'm very surprised that someone didn't loose their life.

We can sleep easy tonight knowing that no fellow fisherman lost their lives. Hopefully a few people learned a lesson today :wallbash:

Edited by N.A.W

It seems to be that if you go out on the ice and fall through, you are an idiot, jerk, dumb, stupid or Darwin's candidate, etc. If you don't go through the ice you are an expert, knowledgeable ice fisherman, experienced, careful, safety minded, or I have been doing this for 20 years and never fell through. etc.

Sometimes the former are the same people as the latter. The only difference is whether you break through the ice or not.

Tom.

It seems to be that if you go out on the ice and fall through, you are an idiot, jerk, dumb, stupid or Darwin's candidate, etc. If you don't go through the ice you are an expert, knowledgeable ice fisherman, experienced, careful, safety minded, or I have been doing this for 20 years and never fell through. etc.

Sometimes the former are the same people as the latter. The only difference is whether you break through the ice or not.

Tom.

I think you are missing something,,,,,,,,,

There have been many warning from "those that know,knowledgeable ice fisherman" that have been posting on this and other sites,the ice was not safe.

It really funny how there,s complaints about guys posting thier catch and back grounds on the WWW,then when the real deal meaning stuff,LIKE UNSAFE ICE,gets a back seat,and when the filtered try again please hits the fan,it comes down to this.

LOL The good the bad and the ugly. Sorry Bruce ;)

Edited by Misfish

Some people risked their lives and were very fortunate today despite their decisions.

Some people risked their lives because that's their job (and we thank them).

Some people stayed home based on the conditions.

Y'know what Rob? I think you could make a handsome living writing script for a fortune cookie company.

You have a gift.

:rofl2:

Some people risked their lives and were very fortunate today despite their decisions.

Some people risked their lives because that's their job (and we thank them).

Some people stayed home based on the conditions.

Well I stayed home all season, so that makes me smart, safe and terribly bored :)

That being said, it was a valiant effort on behalf of the rescuers and a bit of stupidity on behalf of the fishermen. We all go out there thinking we'll be safe and will make it home to our warm bed at the end of the fishing day with a sink full of fish. Sometimes that happens, sometimes it doesn't.

Well I stayed home all season, so that makes me smart, safe and terribly bored :)

That being said, it was a valiant effort on behalf of the rescuers and a bit of stupidity on behalf of the fishermen. We all go out there thinking we'll be safe and will make it home to our warm bed at the end of the fishing day with a sink full of fish. Sometimes that happens, sometimes it doesn't.

:worthy:

Tom.

I try hard not to flame people on OFC. But what you said is not the case at all.

All the ice fisherman that I fish with, who I trust with my life, all gave up on this area last weekend. They ALL strongly warned everyone to stay away from that area for the rest of this season.

I'm glad these guys all survived, but I'm ashamed on their behalf as an ice fisherman. They shouldn't have been there. End of story.

sooo..

apparently they're not allowed to bring anything onto the helicopter.. my sources says that there are a lot of flashers, rods, reels and stuff left behind.. if those items are inside a sled, where would be the best location to recover those items given the wind direction? thumbsup_anim.gif

Oh, I'm still trying to get a definitive answer on this.. do those guys get billed for the helicopter ride? if so, how much?

The bottom of the lake since the ice sheet has supposedly broken due to wave action. :whistling: