trailer bearings

rob v

I know this subject comes up about once a week .... but I wanted to ask. I bought my boat and trailer used 3 years ago. The boat and trailer ( I'm not 100% sure about the trailer) was about 5 years old then so I'm guessing it's about 8 yrs old now. When I bought it I noticed the grease smears on the insides of the tire rims - the tell tale sign that bearing seals were compromised. The wheels have bearing buddies. So I kept a close eye on them. I don't trailer too much - not many long trips - but haven't noticed any problems with them what so ever. No heat, no play, no bearing noise etc. I've also kept an eye on the grease levels, making sure not to over-fill them. I haven't noticed any new grease escape since I've owned the unit.

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the trouble to change and repack the bearings/seals - or should I just keep an eye on them. I don't have a good spot to do this job myself (no shop etc) conveniently. Is it possible the bearings may have been over-filled with grease some time in the past but have not lost their seal ?

Yes you can overpressurize a seal.. puke grease out of it and still cause it no damage. Considering what you've said.. you've kept the grease cavities filled and no future sign of leakage.. I'd say they're good. Jack the wheel.. rock and roll..no play or noise, carry on!

He might have blown a bearing at some point in time and replaced the bearing... But didn't clean the rim...

Grease will stick to a rim for years...

My bearing buddies have a pressure relief hole that leaks out grease if I over fill my buddies. I don't have any leaks but my wheels are grease covered because of this little hole. :whistling:

My bearing buddies have a pressure relief hole that leaks out grease if I over fill my buddies. I don't have any leaks but my wheels are grease covered because of this little hole. :whistling:

I had a bearing pop before...

Changed the bearing and wiped some of the grease off... Couple years later there was still grease on the rim...

I also have the overflow holes but it should only come out of that hole when filling the bearing buddies...

I inspect my bearings every fall. Never had a problem with them, ever. I repack them if they need it, if not, I just keep on rolling.

Axles are a different story. I have a tendency to break them pretty good :)

I carry a spare hub with me. If i blow a bearing, I just pull the whole thing off, and put on a whole new one. Takes about 10 mins, and doesn't cost much more than just replacing the bearings/races/seals.

S.

Remember stuff breaks down at the most inopportune time, like late Sunday night when you're rolling down the highway, no fix it stores around, you haven't got spare parts with you or tools, etc. I'm sure you could call the guys above me and then ask for help...or..check now and have peace of mind. There's some things in the world I trust, older bearing that have not been checked for that many years are not one of them.

I bought my trailer new and didn't realize that I had to maintain the bearing and learned the hard way when one of the bearings blew apart and the hub was making a bad noise. I'm lucky it happened close to home. I now repack my new bearings every spring and put new seals. I know for sure doing this that I won't have that problem again. If I were you I would inspect the bearings and put some new seals. The cost is a few bucks from princess auto. If everything looks good then your ok. If not get new ones or repack the old ones if they are good.

Thanks for the input. The grease smears on the rims were on the backside so I know it wasn't the over-flow - it had to be the seal. And yes - they could very well have been replaced before I got the unit. With the bearing buddies I'm not sure I need to re-pack every year or put in new seals - just keep an eye on the grease level filling them only in accordance with the bearing buddy instruction (fill periodically just till the pressure plate moves). I've jacked the wheels and there's no play or noise. The spare hub is a nice idea though - good insurance for longer trips - I may look into that !

I use bearing buddies....but every year also repack or replace the bearings/races and replace seals and I don't trailer a whole lot. Might be overkill but the parts aren't expensive if you shop around. Also keep a hub and parts on hand just in case. The buddies if over filled can blow out seals very easily.

You are in london call the trailer doctor he sells the parts at a very reasonable price just down on exeter

Edited by scugog

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the trouble to change and repack the bearings/seals - or should I just keep an eye on them.

Just for your own peace of mind Rob, why not just replace everything with new and then you'll know for sure that it's all good.

Nothing worse than always having that nagging feeling that something may not be just the way it's sposed to be.

If you can't do it yourself or don't have the space, you could always take it to a reputable shop before the season starts and have it done.

Might cost a few $$$$ but at least you'll know your good for the hiway.

Rob.

I’m in London; I have a fully equipped automotive shop and I’m not open to the public on the weekends.

I hate doing bearings myself; (funny eh a mechanic that hates getting grease all over his hands) but if you want we can arrange a time and you’re more then welcome to come in and play.

If you’ve never done a bearing service or replacement; no worries I’ll supervise; just don't get any grease on me. :lol:

Dan.

My opinion

if your handy redo them. over time you can wear the fit for a seal and they will leak by its not a big deal they will likely look good when you look at them but once they are spinning at road speed it changes if you replace the bearings and I say this as a millwright dont buy Chinese bearings still not at the quality level of North America or Europe they are cheaper for a reason bearing buddies and a good water/high pressure grease.With bearing buddies if you notice the plate drop a inch or more a year you likely have seal issues the grease has to go somwhere and it will be out the seal just watch the plate and once a year pop the cap off and make sure that the grease looks good and hasent got alot of water in the spaces in the grease if yes scoop it out put the cap back on and pump it up as long as there is grease in the buddies and nothing impedes the travel of the plunger it will do its job out of all the jobs you may attempt on a boat this ranks up there on the beginner level.

just my 2 cents

Peter

all great advice. inspect, maintain, repair as necesaary.

im a big fan of replacing the whole assy, its easier, cleaner, faster, less likely to expose the bearing to contaminants, grit, etc.

grease comes out of the bearing when overfilled or overloaded/overheated. grease can cover the rim from a one time occurence without causing catastrophic damage, though it is a warning sign. always best to clean the rim after the first occurence to see if it is happening again.

spares are a great idea, but IMO keeping old parts isn't a sound idea. why did you replace the old parts? if they were fine, why replace them? if there was something wrong with them, why would you reinstall them? bearings start giving you grief if they are marred, have foreign bits in them, have corrosion, etc. how can you guarantee old parts sitting in the bottom of the drawer are in a suitable condition to use? and why would you go to all the hassle and trouble of removing the wheel, hub and bearing assy just to put old parts back in? anyway, my opinion of used parts is quite clear. cutting off your nose in spite or your face or something.

the kind of guy that asks questions about this stuff and keeps an eye on things isn't the kind of guy that gets stranded on the 401.

good on ya.

Thanks for all the opinions. Sounds like another one of those better safe than sorry questions. I've got the boat stored in my brother's barn which is about an hour away from anywhere (kind of a pain in the neck) - maybe I'll try and get the job done this winter while its there - just means a couple of trips. And thanks for the info on the supplier in London - I'll definitely keep that in mind (i assume he carries the good stuff !). And DanD thanks for the offer - actually if I remember correctly you're the fella that helped me replace my trailer tires last spring !! thx again - if I don't get it done this winter I may take you up on the offer !!

Edited by Rob V

When I pull my boat every time I get out of the van I go to the left then right side and touch the hubs. I expect they might be warm but not hot. Hot means you are on your way to failure. Since I've never felt and found a hub hot I don't know what I'd do but I think I'd creep to a repair place or home with the flashers going.

I'd at least get them apart to take a good look at everything. Mine are at least 3 years old and have had a bit of grease added in the spring each year but this year, I'm taking them apart for a thorough inspection and cleaning. Just because they run cool and don't have any play doesn't mean there isn't a problem coming at some point. Preventative maintenance are the key words here. Bearings don't fail suddenly, it's gradual.

I'd say they're good. Jack the wheel.. rock and roll..no play or noise, carry on!

Best advice you have so far.......been doing the Jack...Spin....Rock and Roll End Play check for about 17 years now (same bearings) if I remember correctly and I don't even have Bearing Buddies....but if you like to get REAL greasy and dirty and clean and repack the bearings....then go for it....me, I have better things to do in the spring....like cut the friggen grass...LOL