Tow Vehicle Question

sneak_e_pete

2012 will be my 30th anniversary of towing a rig identical to what you are anticipating. 18 1/2 Sylvan aluminum, V4 OMC, built in gas tank , 9.9 kicker, riggers and other gear for a 2500 lb total. Started towing it with a 79 GMC 3/4 ton van and a 4 bbl. obviously no problem :thumbsup_anim: next were a pair of 4.3 L GM vortecs, a 88 Chevy full size pickup and a 97 GM Safari, both did admirally :clapping: . Now I've just retired and down sized to a Jeep Liberty 3.7L. The Jeep is fine at this weight, it is rear wheel drive with a solid rear axle and the 2 speed tranfer case makes a slippery ramp a breeze, rated to tow 5000 lbs. That being said, I live a couple of hundred yards from my usual launch ramp here in Grimsby and only several times a years will go to Lake Erie at Port Colborne or Port Maitland and that is all regional roads at 80kph/50mph. What I will not do with this combo is go on 400 series highways at 120+ kph, personnally I don't like the idea of a short wheel base on a tow vehicle at high speeds, just saying :whistling:

edit: Oh that $30 thousand rig was less than $10,000 including taxes in 82 :sarcasm:

Edited by dave524

What I will not do with this combo is go on 400 series highways at 120+ kph, personnally I don't like the idea of a short wheel base on a tow vehicle at high speeds, just saying :whistling:

edit: Oh that $30 thousand rig was less than $10,000 including taxes in 82 :sarcasm:

I really can't see the problem "IF" the tow vehicle and or trailer has sufficient braking power....I towed a 3k pop up trailer with a Ford Escape without a problem on a trip out west that include Ontario, 17 states and crossed the continental divide twice that endured 6,500 miles in 30 days, 100% trouble free....think tractor trailer for one moment.

I used Ford minivans with 3500lb tow capacity for towing, but they are not in production any more. That being said, having a family of 5 and all the attending baggage that goes with a family that size, a crew cab might do, but I'd be leaning toward a passenger van.

I really can't see the problem "IF" the tow vehicle and or trailer has sufficient braking power....I towed a 3k pop up trailer with a Ford Escape without a problem on a trip out west that include Ontario, 17 states and crossed the continental divide twice that endured 6,500 miles in 30 days, 100% trouble free....think tractor trailer for one moment.

Not really worried about the braking but sway with the short wheel base, everything I've read seems to say that when you could get a bad case of tail wagging the dog .

Not really worried about the braking but sway with the short wheel base, everything I've read seems to say that when you could get a bad case of tail wagging the dog .

That's why I said think "tractor trailer"....it doesn't happen to them and it didn't happen to me in over 6000 miles of high speed highway travelling.

That's about the same as my f150 FX4

I get 14-15 mpg all around

I hope that's WHEN towing the trailer Mike!

My 5.0 x F150 XLT dash screen Average fuel consumption is currently showing 13.4 l/100km, after some hard runs around town for supplies this morning. That's 17.55 MPG for Billy Bob and 21.1 MPG for us North of the "gallon shy" line. When towing a draggy/heavy 22' enclosed trailer I average under 20 litre/100km... usually about 18.2 or so... but at 20litre/100 that equals 14.1 miles per imperial gallon.

If you plan on doing ANY significant amount of towing, get a proper vehicle to do it with. This question always pops up in the silly season. A minivan can do the job BUT it takes a beating and you can forget about a panic stop. That's an overlooked issue. My minivan can tow 3500lbs. My boat gear and trailer come in around 3300 lbs. I can cruise at a hundred kph but stopping is another issue. That's why the only time I pull my boat is either really early in the morning or really late at night. A real tow vehicle won't be great on gas but will be useful. Besides, a fwd minivan sucks on unimproved or gravel boatlaunches. Good luck selling it to the wife. I presented the boat as a fait accompli. I went and bought it right after we bought our travel trailer and said 'Surprise'!!!

I hope that's WHEN towing the trailer Mike!

My 5.0 x F150 XLT dash screen Average fuel consumption is currently showing 13.4 l/100km, after some hard runs around town for supplies this morning. That's 17.55 MPG for Billy Bob and 21.1 MPG for us North of the "gallon shy" line. When towing a draggy/heavy 22' enclosed trailer I average under 20 litre/100km... usually about 18.2 or so... but at 20litre/100 that equals 14.1 miles per imperial gallon.

Every day driving...

Tow my boat 3 times a week...

Some highway...

Some in town...

I've crunched the numbers based on how many km I get per fill up...

I usually end up around 16L/100km

But my fx4 has a 5.4 and is the heaviest f150 line up due to the skid plates...

My truck weighs 2700kg

My '01 grand cherokee 4.7 v8 is my tow vehicle

I get about 20-21mpg (10-11 L/100km) on the hwy when keeping it under 110km/hr and 15mpg (14-15 L/100km) in the city (not towing)

my boat/trailer weighs under 1000lbs but the jeep will pull 3000lbs easy.

Edited by Raf

If you want to tow a heavy boat, get yourself a strong truck.

If you get yourself a strong truck, don't expect real good gas mileage.

If your worried about poor gas mileage, get yourself a small boat that can be towed with a small truck.

You can't have everything boys.

I bought myself a boat that's around 3500 pounds, so I also bought myself an F-150 supercrew with a 5.4 motor to tow it with. It's a stong truck and does a great job of towing the boat, it also stops very well and has plenty of room for carrying my gear.

It's OK on fuel consumption but not good, but I knew that when I bought it and as such, I don't worry about it.

It is what it is.

If you want to tow a heavy boat, get yourself a strong truck.

If you get yourself a strong truck, don't expect real good gas mileage.

If your worried about poor gas mileage, get yourself a small boat that can be towed with a small truck.

You can't have everything boys.

I bought myself a boat that's around 3500 pounds, so I also bought myself an F-150 supercrew with a 5.4 motor to tow it with. It's a stong truck and does a great job of towing the boat, it also stops very well and has plenty of room for carrying my gear.

It's OK on fuel consumption but not good, but I knew that when I bought it and as such, I don't worry about it.

It is what it is.

:good: :good: :good:

if you havent bought your boat yet. look at alumacraft. my grandpa bought a 165 ft classic. great fishing boat couldnt ask for more. it could easily be towed behind minivan or small vehicle.

Got a picture of the minivan?

Cars/vans and trucks have changed lots. If you need comfort for the family driver to pull that boat,look at the ford edge. The guy that bought my 18ft bayliner cudie, drove away with it driving an edge. He pulled the boat out of the steep ramp with ease and no sag was to be seen. I was dumb founded.

Just saying.

Is that one of those suburban's that get 20+ mpg or just a regular one that get's the 8 mpg....LOL

We have a suburban here at work for travelling outside of town and it gets pretty decent mileage.

Not great but certainly 8MPG. We get about very close to 20MPG on the highway with it and somewhere around 15 in the city. Not bad for a 5.3L V8 with 310HP in a heavy truck like this. :whistling:

one option is going used if you can afford an extra vehicle, seen lots of mid 90's grand cherokees selling in the $1000-$2000 in decent shape, yes there tough on fuel but they can pull just about any kind of fishing boat under 20 feet, run into stuff go into some nice back lakes a jeep will get you there parts are pretty cheap and widely available and with all the help on OFC you can keep it running good for a long time and if it blows up oh well no big loss if using it as a weekend vehicle

Edited by ecmilley