Scugog Ice Report

Entropy

Wather was cold last Saturday with much wind. Sat night wind died, lake froze. About 1/4" on Sunday morning.

Today I did not have a chance to see it, but the entire lake was clam and very glassy, might still be frozen and for sure will be this eve.

Going to try to report daily or every other day like I did two years ago.

See you out there.

Entropy

Wather was cold last Saturday with much wind. Sat night wind died, lake froze. About 1/4" on Sunday morning.

Today I did not have a chance to see it, but the entire lake was clam and very glassy, might still be frozen and for sure will be this eve.

Going to try to report daily or every other day like I did two years ago.

See you out there.

Entropy

Turns out "two years ago" was in 2006!!! How time flies!!

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1291&st=0

Entropy

Saw this, thought you may all enjoy it...

Loads on Ice

Required Minimum Ice

Thickness in inches Description of Safe Moving Load

1-3/4 - One person on skies

2 - One person on foot or skates

3 - One snowmobile

3 - A group of people walking single file

7 - A single passenger automobile

8 - A 2-1/2 ton truck

9 - A 3-1/2 ton truck

10 - A 7 to 8 ton truck

http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/WaterControl/Districts/MVP/Reports/ice/ice_load.html

only 7 inches needed to get your car out there. I believe it, but I think a lot of people would call you insane if you did it

I watched a hut last Jan 3/11 get dragged out buy a Rav4 on 4" of ice. you could hear the ice from 500 yards away... :wallbash:

I found some ice on rice lake today that my boat wouldn't break thru. I will admit, i was kinda shocked. I've never had that issue before.....especially with 3 guys and gear in the boat!

Most of it was just skim ice though, just one spot was thicker. We had to turn around and re route!!

S.

only 7 inches needed to get your car out there. I believe it, but I think a lot of people would call you insane if you did it

The stuff on ice thickness that gets published in OOD and the like it always extremely conservative. The amount of good, black, solid ice needed to hold up heavy things is much less than most people think. The only problem is that ice thickness is uneven, there are pressure cracks, problem areas, current and so on that make is better to be extremely conservative. So while that post is good and theoretically sound, I'm really hoping it won't lead to people taking out their SUVs onto lakes just because there is 8" of ice near shore.

2" thick in front of my place on Buckhorn yesterday, I could walk on it...but didn't like the creaking and cracking noises the ice made. If we get some cold nights, might make it out before the new year afterall...on foot anyways.