Scugog Ice Report

Entropy

If you read the article it goes into more detail about the actual ice. We should all know that walking on 2 inches of ice on a lake isn't all that safe. I generally walk behind the biggest guy I am going out with. :)

I have driven and skated on some thin ice before. We usued to skate on ice thin enough you could break it if you slammed your skate down hard enough. Safe? Not likely, structuraly sound enough, maybe... Just thought it was an interesting article.

I have seen a Outfitter haul huts out on Calendar with pickup trucks, on ice so thin he was driving with his door open on his brand new f150 incase he had to bail out..I thought he was crazy, but he never went thru...

Getting down to - 13 deg C tonight, that should add some thickness. Please don't judge your safety on the ice by this thread, check for yourself, check often as you walk or ride.

Entropy

I would not even consider the words with the --- through it at this time of year.

I would not even consider the words with the --- through it at this time of year.

There is one guy that 'takes off' from the Birch Island area and shoots across to the Ceasarea area on 2 - 3 " of ice this time of year, every year. Crazy! Two or three winters ago I saw a helmet and pair of gloves beside a hole in the ice out from my place, turns out the guy lived and got his sled out latter that night.

Edited by Entropy

FYI

Not saying its safe or you should go out on it but!!!!

I was up in Port Perry today and saw 3 guys a dog and a portable ice hut out 800 yards off the marina so I took a little venture out 2.5" to 3" of ice where I was but did not punch any holes myself.

Safe ice thickness "once solid enough to stand on" is of personal comfort level some 4" is good others 2.5" is good DON'T go unless you are prepared for the worst

-Ware a floater suit

-Go with a friend

-moniter the weather when you are on the ice

-bring picks or a rope

Have fun

Dan

I bet there is open water. I checked it at night so couldn't see much with my LED flashlight. Thanks Entropy.

Last night when the power was out I was standing on shore and could hear geese honking away and waves crashing, it was that large open area. I think it opened up and got larger durning the wind. It has likely gotten smaller by now, but is there none the less.

Entropy