Scugog Ice Report

Entropy

Report.

There are more open spots, lots of wind might mean some break up, about 2" of water on the ice in some spots.

Got out with my boy yesterday and did not catch anything, but we were not in the right spot, waiting for better ice.

Entropy

Got out late yesterday afternoon.

Only caught a few small perch.

6" of ice where I was.

There were a number of huts going out with ATV's pulling them, as well as a few guys out with portables and toboggans.

Hope to try this eve.

Anyone else catching anything?

Entropy

i would love to get out and fish this weekend. i have never fished scugog before. anyone interested in letting me tag along that might be heading out? i have all the gear needed, just not familliar with the waters. dont know where to access, dangerous reas, or where to fish lol.

i would love to get out and fish this weekend. i have never fished scugog before. anyone interested in letting me tag along that might be heading out? i have all the gear needed, just not familliar with the waters. dont know where to access, dangerous reas, or where to fish lol.

all the way from stoney creek to fish that mud hole?!?!?! I only fish it cause it's 1/2 the distance it is to my cottage.

I hope to get out for a bit on Sunday but you might want to bring this topic back up later in the week.

I am on the east side.

+++++++++++++

I saw some 'Steam Fog' coming off of some open water (just south of Washburn Island / well north of Ceasarea) today. Was the first time I knew what to call it, saw it the news report from somewhere else.

Entropy

all the way from stoney creek to fish that mud hole?!?!?! I only fish it cause it's 1/2 the distance it is to my cottage.

I hope to get out for a bit on Sunday but you might want to bring this topic back up later in the week.

lol, ive heard fishing can be good. i love to fish new waters. so while its a hike to go there, if i can get out fishing and get into a few fish, with any luck... then its worth the effort till i can get some ice closer to home

Today was the 3rd evening in a row, new location, same result, no fish. Just under 4" of good ice where I was.

Hi there everyone. I'm stoaked to get out on Scugog but as I don't know the lake well I'm thinking of going the hut option. I called up Pauls ice huts yesterday and they laughed and said they don't feel comfortable putting huts out. I was planning for sunday if weather permits. Anyone know how thick the ice has to be for them to be comfortable to put huts out?

Anyone know how thick the ice has to be for them to be comfortable to put huts out?

You would have to ask them what their comfort level might be. Kinda hard for us to read their mind.

That being said, it really depends on what they use to move their huts. If it's by truck, they would probably want 10" to 12", if by snowmobile or ATV, 6" to 8" is probably enough. There are huts starting to appear on Chemong on probably 6" of ice. Nobody's hauling them out with their pick-up though.

You would have to ask them what their comfort level might be. Kinda hard for us to read their mind.

That being said, it really depends on what they use to move their huts. If it's by truck, they would probably want 10" to 12", if by snowmobile or ATV, 6" to 8" is probably enough. There are huts starting to appear on Chemong on probably 6" of ice. Nobody's hauling them out with their pick-up though.

Try Als ice huts . 905-986-9699

Still no companies feel safe enough to put out huts. All I want to do this winter is ice fish and snowboard. Is that so much to ask? dunno.gif

Well there was like.. 5-6 inches of solid ice on Sunday. If you have an auger and a rod... and don't mind bearing the elements, then you're good to go.

I've got all of that stuff but I don't know Scugog that well. I feel like I'd be fishin in the dark the first couple of times. I'm hoping the hut placements will kinda give me a bit of a heads up where is decent on the lake.

WHERE ARE YOU PLANNING ON STARTING ? OR WHERE ARE YOU COMING FROM ?

As Far as I know Styles huts and Als huts both have huts out.

I'll check al's tomorow. I had called pauls huts, I was supposed to go last Sunday with a friend of mine, we set a raincheck for this sunday. Biggest problem for me is I'm from Mississauga so I have to go off of hearsay for ice conditions and daily tempratures.

I'll check al's tomorow. I had called pauls huts, I was supposed to go last Sunday with a friend of mine, we set a raincheck for this sunday. Biggest problem for me is I'm from Mississauga so I have to go off of hearsay for ice conditions and daily tempratures.

daily temps are easy to find. it's folks on the lake (cottage or house) posting ice reports is what you need to look for. even if you take it to PM and don't ask for any spots to try, just a 'hey how's the ice?' might get you some info. a thanks to that person goes a LONG way. there is a guide on OFC that I won't send anyone too cause the fool was never kind enough to thank me for a weekend of business I sent his way...

*edit to add* and yes that older guide is well known in the Kawartha's.

Edited by GBW

So my friend and I went with Stiles ice rental huts today, I have nothing but good things to say. The huts were tosty warm, a drive to the hut and back to the boat launch at the end of the day, friendly service, even gave us some tips on how to catch the fish that day.

Sadly we both got skunked today but I find that the days I catch nothing I learn a lot more then the days I catch fish. Important lessons learned.

1) When they guy at the baitshop asks if I want Crappie minnows or Walleye minnows go for the Crappie ones. We got 2 dozen walleye ones and I feel like I could have choked out a 30 pound Northern with one of these guys. In all serious though they were about 6-8 inches each. Waaay to big for my liking.

2) Bring snacks for the lady friend so she doesn't get hungry and want to go right as the fish start hitting. We were getting a few good hits right at sundown but by that time we had been fishing for 5 hours and both were feeling a little hungry..... ok a lot hungry because we didn't plan. A big change for next time for sure.

All in all I still loved the peacefulness and the beautiful weather that scugog had to offer today. I will be providing buisness for Stiles in the future for sure.

Me and my buddy fished out of goreskis, moved around a lot and drilled a ton of holes. Caught a bunch of really dink perch and bluegill, had 3 or 4 decent sized gills, and one respectable crappie just before we left around 530. First time out there, so can't complain. Got our first fish of 2012. Ice was making a ton of noise all day long lol. Lots of folks out, quads and skidoos running around all day. We had a solid 10" of ice in every hole we drilled.