What a horrible day

bigugli

Hope your dog comes out OK and that you are not too worse for wear.

Many of ther other posters are saying to go to the police, or humane society and I agree. If there is any doubt in your mind about reporting it, think about what may happen after the next attack. The pet may be killed and the owner may not come out of it unscathed either.

This is no time to suck it up and be a good neighbour.

Thanks for all the kind words gang :clapping: Peanut is doing O.K. Needed 40 something stitches. She's been sedated for the night.

As for the other dog owners. The local SPCA has been directly involved. Their dog was not on a leash, Peanut always is. Under law the other fellas are fully liable for all the costs under provincial law. The animal control officer will inform them of that fact. The Vet knows the drill and took pics as soon as I brought Peanut in and has forwarded the pics and medical assessment.

As for my cane, I took it to the welding shop to get straightened. Next time I'm pouring lead jigs, I'm filling the bottom half of the cane.

I am now slowly starting to calm down... But I still can't get the image of that animal shaking Peanut around like a ragdoll. One way or tuther, it will be put down. need a couple more glasses of brandy. Good thing I made a few bottles.

Thanks for all the kind words gang :clapping: Peanut is doing O.K. Needed 40 something stitches. She's been sedated for the night.

As for the other dog owners. The local SPCA has been directly involved. Their dog was not on a leash, Peanut always is. Under law the other fellas are fully liable for all the costs under provincial law. The animal control officer will inform them of that fact. The Vet knows the drill and took pics as soon as I brought Peanut in and has forwarded the pics and medical assessment.

As for my cane, I took it to the welding shop to get straightened. Next time I'm pouring lead jigs, I'm filling the bottom half of the cane.

I am now slowly starting to calm down... But I still can't get the image of that animal shaking Peanut around like a ragdoll. One way or tuther, it will be put down. need a couple more glasses of brandy. Good thing I made a few bottles.

Glad to here that your dog is ok. I had the same kind of experience with a sheppard, very scary!! Elderberry brandy?

Glad to here your dog is doing ok, that other one deserves a bullet between the eyes.

Sorry to disagree but I think it is the owners that need the bullet, that dog should never have been allowed to run loose.

Bruce, really glad to hear that Peanut is going to be ok. We had one of our dogs attacked by two shepards once, she was never the same again and ended up having to be put down about two years later because she developed problems with her spine.

wow that's insane! I too have had an experience with Sheppard's. I witnessed 2 BIG male German Shapers (both unleashed on the loose) run out of nowhere and attack a Husky. The guy was walking his husky on the trail by the river as I was walking out after wading for Walleyes. The only thing the guy could do was let his Husky go and take on one of the Shepherds. By the time I got there The Husky and the man had the situation under control. I couldn't believe what I had just seen. Did that Husky really just take on 2 bigger dogs and win? No it didn't.. the Husky was in bad shape. Never did find out what happened with the Husky, but wow is all I could say..

Sorry to here about Peanut. It truly is a gut wrenching expeirance when its your friend being attacked.

Ps I hope your wife or a good friend has the key to your gun cabnit?

Tomorow when Peanut is glad to be with you all will be a little better :clapping:

What a horrible thing to have happen, truly hope your pooch recovers.

As a responsible dog owner I find it despicable when people let their animals run out of control, especially large aggressive breeds.

I had a pretty horrible experiences myself earlier this fall, occurring on the only trail system that allows dogs off leash that's anywhere close to me.

Ironically the issue wasn't with another dog, but a dog owner, but I digress.

My dog is a 1 year old German Shorthair, a high energy breed that needs to run every day. She's absolutely not agressive at all, in fact she's really just a big happy idiot LOL!

A couple months back I was walking her on the trail off leash. She's a hunting breed is a pure joy to watch as she works the bush back and forth in front of me. She never runs off either, always staying within sight as that's how she's been trained.

If there ever are people walking on the trail she barely gives them pause. If there's another dog she'll run up, tail wagging, sniff, say hello and be on her way...

Anyhow I'm on the trail and up ahead there's a couple walking a small terrier on leash.

No big deal I think, 'cause as I said my dog's not the least bit aggressive.

The small dog sees mine and goes nuts, barking pyschotically and jumping and straining at its leash.

My girl trots up, stops about 3' away, looks at the little dog freaking out and lets out one big woof. That's it, nothing more.

At that point the guy kicks my dog as hard as he can in the ribs...she screamed in pain...then he grabbed her collar and wrenched her neck up twisting it and choking her...she was gagging.

At that point I started running towards them and he says quite loudly "Keep your ....ing dog under control ...hole!"

The entire time this is happening the terrier is literally going postal, snarling, snapping, hackles raised, just itching to get at my dog. There's no doubt in my mind that if the woman had let go of the leash at any time it would have attacked.

Anyway I'm not usually a violent man, let's just leave it at that.

My dog was subsequently checked at the vets and as I suspected she had cracked ribs from the kick.

Couldn't lie down or get up without whining in pain for quite a while.

I consider myself to be a responsible dog owner and that includes allowing my dog to run on a daily basis.

When something like that happens at what is really my only refuge it becomes an issue. What exactly is one to do?

There are some better men than me on this board, esp with Solo's account cuz I'm not sure what I would have done but ugly would have been in the equation. I'm getting worked up reading these stories and it makes me truly sad that people can be such idiots.

Bruce, I hope the owner loses his dog to a better, responsible owner, if indeed it can be rehabilitated. And Solo, that owner will get his eventually and chances are someone is going to give the boots to his terrier some day if it's got a bad attitude and is a biter, small dog or not.

Just got in from working afternoons and sat down to read this. Can't imagine what I would have done. Probably would have been too shocked to even react in time to help my pet out.

Glad the perch muncher is Ok. Wounds heal. Hopefully the emotional scars are easily mended as well.

Tomorrow will be a better day. Take care of your little buddy my friend.

What a horrible thing to have happen, truly hope your pooch recovers.

As a responsible dog owner I find it despicable when people let their animals run out of control, especially large aggressive breeds.

I had a pretty horrible experiences myself earlier this fall, occurring on the only trail system that allows dogs off leash that's anywhere close to me.

Ironically the issue wasn't with another dog, but a dog owner, but I digress.

My dog is a 1 year old German Shorthair, a high energy breed that needs to run every day. She's absolutely not agressive at all, in fact she's really just a big happy idiot LOL!

A couple months back I was walking her on the trail off leash. She's a hunting breed is a pure joy to watch as she works the bush back and forth in front of me. She never runs off either, always staying within sight as that's how she's been trained.

If there ever are people walking on the trail she barely gives them pause. If there's another dog she'll run up, tail wagging, sniff, say hello and be on her way...

Anyhow I'm on the trail and up ahead there's a couple walking a small terrier on leash.

No big deal I think, 'cause as I said my dog's not the least bit aggressive.

The small dog sees mine and goes nuts, barking pyschotically and jumping and straining at its leash.

My girl trots up, stops about 3' away, looks at the little dog freaking out and lets out one big woof. That's it, nothing more.

At that point the guy kicks my dog as hard as he can in the ribs...she screamed in pain...then he grabbed her collar and wrenched her neck up twisting it and choking her...she was gagging.

At that point I started running towards them and he says quite loudly "Keep your ....ing dog under control ...hole!"

The entire time this is happening the terrier is literally going postal, snarling, snapping, hackles raised, just itching to get at my dog. There's no doubt in my mind that if the woman had let go of the leash at any time it would have attacked.

Anyway I'm not usually a violent man, let's just leave it at that.

My dog was subsequently checked at the vets and as I suspected she had cracked ribs from the kick.

Couldn't lie down or get up without whining in pain for quite a while.

I consider myself to be a responsible dog owner and that includes allowing my dog to run on a daily basis.

When something like that happens at what is really my only refuge it becomes an issue. What exactly is one to do?

Had a terrior bite me on the back of my leg yesterday :wallbash:

Bad dogs are in evey breed or mix.

Bad owners are usualy to blame.

The terrior was ok but still went after me today but next time it will be on the wrong side of a steel toed boot!!!

What a relief. Brought peanut home this morning. They figure at least 3 weeks for the bruising and wounds to heal. Here is the after pic.

DSCN3485-1.jpg

I won't put up the before pics that the vet took.

Have to keep her sedated for the next few days with pain meds. When she got home she wanted nothing to do with the dog bed. She limped into the bedroom, determined to get into our bed, safe and warm under the comforter.

This is my cane after trying to beat off the other dog.

DSCN3484.jpg

The son heated it and got it bent back at the welding shop because I sure couldn't.

I am ever so grateful that we have such a wonderful vet. Hugh Stevenson, and his staff at Hillview. Nothing beats a good old fashioned horse doctor

Being a small breed owner I shudder hearing stories like this. I also feel very sorry for solo having a negative experience with a small breed. As has previously been stated the problem is the dog owner not the dog. Sometimes I think it is the owners, not the dogs that should be liscenced.

Dam Bruce. Peanuts gunna be feeling that one for while. Those looks like some serious cuts.

I'm glad things turned out alright, and peanut's gunna pull through. Let us know how it works out with the vet bills eh.

I went home last night, after reading your post, and played fetch with my little dog for a good hour or so..

Sorry to hear that Bruce, I'm sure that Peanut will be OK you will make sure of that.

As for the Shepherd, well, I am not sure that all would agree with me but I don't blame the dog. In 90% of the cases of aggressive dogs, both to other dogs, other animals and humans, it is the "owner" that is at fault. I am of the belief that pets learn the personality of their owners who they consider to be their leader.

Bruce, I would not let this die. I would make sure that at the very least they pay the vet bills.

By the way Mike........anyone kicked my dog in the ribs and they would be waking up in hospital........unfortunately, I would possibly go to jail!

Sorry to hear that, it makes me sick and I have a German Shepherd and would never want her to do that to anyones animal or vise versa.

As a German Shepherd owner (purebred), I find a lot of owners give us a bad name.

The German Shepherd is a good breed like most but needs a good owner as they are working dogs and have high energy and drive. You need to give them lots of exercise or a job to do.

This dog is likely not well trained/socialized and does not get the necessary exercise needed and its prey drive just took over. Obviously just me speculating.

I am not surprised at the damagebecause they are such a powerful dog and that's why you need to be a good owner.

I hope your dog has a quick recovery and what a scary incident.

As the owner of two large dogs , when I took on ownership of these animals I KNEW WHAT I WAS IN FOR . Spent money very early on to have them trained , made sure they went to the dog park and learned to be socialized with other dogs , they are old now , touch wood , in all the time I have owned them , 14+ years ,I never had a problem with them . BUT if either of them ,as much as I love them , ever made a problem I would put them down myselve .You can not bring a large animal into your neiborhood without takeing FULL responsibility for what it does . So sorry to hear this hope all will be well , not saying you want to be a pain , but do not allow this to go unreported . Next time some other dog or some other PERSON , will be killed . I would do all I could to protect your neibors , no way you let this dog and its stupid owner get away with this , this was not an accident , just a loaded gun waiting to go off , today peanut tomorrow Sally down the street .

Edited by capt bruce