How is it possible?

jedimaster

Lol what do you mean by 'so called' leafs fans? you think the guys posting in leafs threads about problems with the team arent the real fans? Were are they at then?

Ide rather be a leafs fan with hope then one without? I was 2 years old when i started watching the leafs, man i must have been such a stupid little kid

Alright, I'll give you that one...

you are leaf fans... :rolleyes:

So called leaf fans refer to when you're booing the team out of the rink for losing...and I never called anyone stupid ;)

Just misguided :w00t::rofl2:

Yeah that's it, 23 players suck so fire the coach.

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t::clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Take note of the players that Wilson had when he first came to Toronto. Virtually none are there now - traded to other teams. He couldn't get them to play for him and his style, yet they seem to be doing well with the teams they've been traded to, save Kaberle. With an entirely new team set up for him by buddy Burke he still cannot get them to achieve.

Yes it's time to get rid of RONNIE!!!!!!!!

7-1 win over Tampa... 26 points heading into US thanks Giving... a real turnaround from last year. The monster has produced 2, 7-1 victories. Kessel and Lupal are amazing. The chemistry there is second to none. Just read the stats.With a HUGE amount of our roster hurt I couldn't be a prouder Leafer......

GO LEAFS GO!!!!! :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

Not a big fan of wilson, but the leafs are now sitting in 2nd place in the division, behind a clearly more talented squad, and ahead of several teams with clearly more talented teams. I say he has earned a job til the end of his contract...

x2 agreed!

Not a big fan of wilson, but the leafs are now sitting in 2nd place in the division, behind a clearly more talented squad, and ahead of several teams with clearly more talented teams. I say he has earned a job til the end of his contract...

x3

why in the world would you fire him when his system seems to be coming together???!

You're either born a Leafs fan for life or you're... well... you wear a pink skirt on Saturday nights and drink things with umbrellas in it. :thumbsup_anim:

I don't usually get into the "my team is better than your team" thing...but when it comes to being a fan, I am definitely a Leaf fan!

Why is this? "Logic" has nothing to do with it. Neither does who the players are on the team. Yes I follow them...yes I watch the games and I want them to do well...but the key reason I'm a Leaf fan is this....

When I was a kid...my dad and I...as a ritual would sit and watch Hockey Night in Canada. We would watch the Leafs play. My dad taught me the rules of the game...I sensed and caught his passion for the sport. It became about sitting with my dad and sharing something. I remember fondly if I was good that week, that I'd was allowed to have a little bit of Coca Cola and some potato chips. I remember cheering wildly when we'd score a goal. I remember when I was very young, I had to go to bed at the end of the first period. Sometimes I was able to watch Peter Puck in the first intermission. On really special occasions I could watch the second period and the cool "Showdown" during that intermission.

I remember my dad telling me we were going "shoe shopping" one Saturday night. I was maybe 7 years old. I was disappointed that we weren't going to sit in the family room, with my pop and chips and watch the Leaf game. We drove into the city...and my dad went to talk to someone on the street (a scalper I learned years later). He said he needed to ask directions to the shoe sale. I remember walking through some BIG doors and seeing pictures of hockey players on the walls and thinking "this is a REALLY crowded shoe store and it must be a great sale". We went up these really really long skinny escalators and when we got off and I walked by these strange "doorways" where there were no doors...just empty space.

We walked towards one...my hand in my dad's...and walked through the corridor. It opened up into Maple Leaf Gardens. I was stunned. My mouth hung open as I saw the players skating warm up circles. I looked around at the vastness of the Gardens. We took our seats...3rd row greens on the Leaf's home side. I remember seeing Mike Palmateer in net...Darryl Sittler, Lanny McDonald, Ian Turnbull, Borje Salming and Tiger Williams. I remember when Borje Salming took a slap shot from the point...it deflected off a stick and came up as high as we were sitting. I remember asking my dad if we had to leave at the end of the first period for my bed time...and was mildly disappointed that Peter Puck wasn't there. I remember we beat the St Louis Blues 5-1.

So why am I a Leaf fan? It's not because of how well they do. It's not because I have delusions of a Stanley Cup. It's not because I think they are better than anyone else. I am a Leaf fan because that's just who I am. It's been ingrained into who I am. As a child growing up it became a part of me.

I'd never get into it with a fan of another team...it's not worth my time or energy. It doesn't matter why I am a Leaf fan. I don't have to explain it to everyone who bashes my beloved team...because I know why I'm a fan...and that's good enough for me.

Sorry for the long winded post here...LOL

I don't usually get into the "my team is better than your team" thing...but when it comes to being a fan, I am definitely a Leaf fan!

Why is this? "Logic" has nothing to do with it. Neither does who the players are on the team. Yes I follow them...yes I watch the games and I want them to do well...but the key reason I'm a Leaf fan is this....

When I was a kid...my dad and I...as a ritual would sit and watch Hockey Night in Canada. We would watch the Leafs play. My dad taught me the rules of the game...I sensed and caught his passion for the sport. It became about sitting with my dad and sharing something. I remember fondly if I was good that week, that I'd was allowed to have a little bit of Coca Cola and some potato chips. I remember cheering wildly when we'd score a goal. I remember when I was very young, I had to go to bed at the end of the first period. Sometimes I was able to watch Peter Puck in the first intermission. On really special occasions I could watch the second period and the cool "Showdown" during that intermission.

I remember my dad telling me we were going "shoe shopping" one Saturday night. I was maybe 7 years old. I was disappointed that we weren't going to sit in the family room, with my pop and chips and watch the Leaf game. We drove into the city...and my dad went to talk to someone on the street (a scalper I learned years later). He said he needed to ask directions to the shoe sale. I remember walking through some BIG doors and seeing pictures of hockey players on the walls and thinking "this is a REALLY crowded shoe store and it must be a great sale". We went up these really really long skinny escalators and when we got off and I walked by these strange "doorways" where there were no doors...just empty space.

We walked towards one...my hand in my dad's...and walked through the corridor. It opened up into Maple Leaf Gardens. I was stunned. My mouth hung open as I saw the players skating warm up circles. I looked around at the vastness of the Gardens. We took our seats...3rd row greens on the Leaf's home side. I remember seeing Mike Palmateer in net...Darryl Sittler, Lanny McDonald, Ian Turnbull, Borje Salming and Tiger Williams. I remember when Borje Salming took a slap shot from the point...it deflected off a stick and came up as high as we were sitting. I remember asking my dad if we had to leave at the end of the first period for my bed time...and was mildly disappointed that Peter Puck wasn't there. I remember we beat the St Louis Blues 5-1.

So why am I a Leaf fan? It's not because of how well they do. It's not because I have delusions of a Stanley Cup. It's not because I think they are better than anyone else. I am a Leaf fan because that's just who I am. It's been ingrained into who I am. As a child growing up it became a part of me.

I'd never get into it with a fan of another team...it's not worth my time or energy. It doesn't matter why I am a Leaf fan. I don't have to explain it to everyone who bashes my beloved team...because I know why I'm a fan...and that's good enough for me.

Sorry for the long winded post here...LOL

Well said! :clapping::clapping::thumbsup_anim::clapping::clapping:

hahahahah! the troff! havent thought of that cesspool in years! MLG was certainly something magical as a kid... to bad it is destined to become a grocery store now.... did you hear about the Time capsle they found... Loblaws swiftly took it... and I still have not yet heard anything about it... No doubt we will see Weston keep it for himself instead of donating it the HHOF

G

Great story Cliff it brings back lots of memories. :)

I remember my dad taking me to games when I was a wee one too.

Back in the 70's when the gardens were full of cigarette smoke to go along with the small of popcorn. LOL

And the infamous troff!!! I wonder if some leaf fan saved it and installed it in their own man cave. :lol:

Really great story Cliff, thank you for explaining what it means to be a fan for so many of us.

I could ramble on with similar tales, but the bottom line as you so eloquently related, they're not just a team, they're a part of the fabric of who I am. Have been since I was a very young child.

What I'd like to know from Ottawa fans, exactly who did you cheer for prior to 1992?

Unless you're a teen who's never known anything different it was likely the Canadiens or (gasp) the Leafs.

How does one switch allegience so easily?

I can tell you right now if my hometown Hamilton ever did get an NHL team, I'd never cheer for them.

I'm a Leaf fan through and through.

For those of you who once cheered for the Blue and White, but chose to be fans of another team because of geographical location, well you're not a true fan.

A true fan would never abandon their team.

Cliff and solo hit the nail on the head!

This thread made me go back and re-live some great memories, thanks guys.

I'll never understand how my grandpa rounded up enough people to move that tv into the livingroom, lol. The thing looked like it weighed 1000lbs, and it was 8-10 ft wide, hahaha. I made some amazing lego airplanes while watching HNIC!

Great times!

Edited by manitoubass2

MuskyMatt: Enjoy your "Seasons in the Abyss" with the Senators.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvuO2EvCTAE

You can come back to us any time man. The doors open brother. It will feel better to be a Leafs fan again like you were before. Just joking, take a hike out to the Corel Centre or whatever they call it this year.

Bwahahahahaha!!

You said it all right there Cliff. What a great post of why you love your team and why you're a sports fan. You'll stick with them in good times and bad. When I walked through those hallowed doors to the Leafs dressing room to meet Phaneuf last March, I was on cloud nine. What an experience that was. I was in a shrine that few people could understand. I was in the hockey Mecca of the world. Anyways ... Go LEAFS GO!!! :thumbsup_anim::clapping:

For those of you who once cheered for the Blue and White, but chose to be fans of another team because of geographical location, well you're not a true fan.

You got that right Mike!!!

I may live in the West now but my team is still the Leafs and always will be!!!! :good::good:

I can tell you right now if my hometown Hamilton ever did get an NHL team, I'd never cheer for them.

I'm a Leaf fan through and through.

Being old enough to have grown up with the original 6, I remember a day 50 years ago when your loyalty went the way of your junior team , not your geographical location. Grew up in Niagara, in those days if you were in Hamilton you would have been a Red Wings fan, if you lived in Niagara Falls you were a Boston fan most likely , St Catharines meant you followed the Blackhawks. Back then players stayed with the same team longer, not like todays Leafs where I don't think there is a single player left from 4 years ago. Here is a link to the old St. Catharines TeePees of my youth, look at the list of NHL alumni to come out of that junior era, virtually every Blackhawk star of that era. I for one preferred it the old way rather than the bidding wars or however they play musical chairs with the talent today :wallbash:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Catharines_Teepees