Best border crossing? NF

HTHM

Years ago first time crossing the Peace, US border guy has me out of the car, into the office and singing O Canada. My colleague was not amused and rather pissed off. Last trip over the Peace this August was fine, just make sure all your paperwork is in order if you're going over to work for a US client. This is a very fine point they will grill you on.

My wife 'landed' at Thousand Islands and the border there was painless as well. Guess blondes from Australia don't raise any red flags ;)

Did I mention making sure your paperwork is clean ? Good luck

Edited by woodenboater

Had a couple bad experiences at ft. Erie... Got detained for 2 hrs ( no explaination besides laughter from the border guard) many ppl came in and left as we sat waiting for an explanation. My bro finally lost it, and surprisingly we were given our passports back and sent on our way.

In the end, we missed our flight to Florida (fishing trip) and couldnt get another one for 3 day because it was a long weekend. Still pissed about it. 100% positive the guard we got was just having fun by ruining our vacation!

All you can do is have your papers in order, say yes sir, no sir, and hope for the best....

Queenston/Lewiston I have had less hassle. Truth is it don't matter. If the officer you get is in a pissy mood, you're screwed.

When I was getting my PR, I had to "leave" Canada and come back in, so I went across at Niagara Falls. The Canadian Border guards were cool told me what to do. I went across, you tell the US border guards about getting your PR, they send you back after unofficially refusing you entry. You get a piece of paper for the Canadian guards and your done. This happens every day. The US border guard kept me for over an hour for no reason other than he could, I didn't even want to enter the US. They are complete :asshat: :asshat: Thats all I have to say about it. I should add that I was the only person there. He kept my passport and spent all his time organizing a trip to see the Detroit Tigers. I go to the US only if I absolutely have to and nothing is going to change my view on that. That said my friends in the US said they get treated just as badly when the reenter the US from business trips.

Edited by Dutchy

Ive never had a problem crossing any of the bridges here but almost always cross the rainbow it's the shortest bridge and seems to move the quickest , queenston always seems busy not sure why maybe that's the first one a gps points out to you ......

I belieive the stakes are already set , its a daily gamble no matter where you cross . Be at your up most and ready to kiss .....and you'll be fine . Under that uniform some where is another person just like you .

Edited by Skipper " D "

You could always just tell them you're just going over for the fishing... :whistling:

I remember the first time crossing over the border with 80lbs of corn, 50lbs worth of hemp seeds, 40lbs of boilies and a whole bunch of other things for a carp tourney...Never had a problem crossing any border yet (knock on wood)...Only once did the border guard pop the trunk open and look into a couple of our bags...Good thing they didn't find my 'Kreature' baits :whistling:

Like Bill said, it's probably best if you get something from your HR department.

Coming from one who crosses at least 2X a week I would stay away from Queenston..they are by far the slowest due to the fact they dont have as many booths as the other 2 and they are a major truck entry point,and they take thier sweet old time.Now that the tourist season has wrapped up the rainbow is not that busy and you breeze through in about 10min or less...provided you have your passport and detailed info from your HR dept. The Peace bridge in Fort Erie is your best and easiest if you are headed for P.A. count on 10min or less in the early morn..less throughout the day but prob about 20 to 30 from 5 to 7 as workers are headed home..Good luck

P.S ..I saw the same movie about having to sing the national anthem...and yes it ONLY happens in movies..lolol