Lower Twin Lakes Nakina ~ Walleye-Brookies-And Birds

solopaddler

This report is just slightly overdue. My buddy Ferg and I were up there the last week of September for a short 5 day trip, and it's taken until now to find the time to write something up.

With steelhead season upon us let's just say I've been a bit preoccupied.

I don't normally fly by the seat of my pants, with every trip of substance being planned months in advance.

There's always an exception though. Initially we were slated to visit my camp in Quebec the last week in September. Something I've sorely neglected this past season.

But when John from Lower Twin Lakes lodge in Nakina called to extend an invitation I couldn't refuse.

I had gotten to know John last March at the Toronto Sportsmans Show. His tales of great walleye and brook trout fishing had stuck in my mind.

With that in mind Ferg and I arrived late on a Tuesday night not exactly sure what to expect, but with anticipation running high.

We were pleasantly surprised at how nice the cabins were. Neat and clean as a pin, with 24 hour electricity thanks to a massive solar system which John had installed.

NakinaSept2011034.jpg

NakinaSept2011032.jpg

NakinaSept2011029.jpg

NakinaSept2011031.jpg

The following day we were slated to fish Upper Twin lake for walleye and pike. John has boats cached on several nearby back lakes for walleye, but that would have to wait.

It's always a challenge trying to quickly break down new water and find the correct pattern. But at least for me that's what makes this such an interesting sport.

John had directed us to specific part of the lake, a large, very deep self contained bay.

The bay ran a couple of km's in length and about half a km in width. Average depth was incredible, probably about 40' with several basins well over 100' deep.

Obviously this type of water has the potential for really big fish, especially pike. John himself proved the point earlier in the season by landing one in excess of 50"

Something I've yet to accomplish on the Attawapiskat...

We did a fair amount of trolling hoping to fluke off a big girl, but alas it wasn't meant to be.

NakinaSept2011022.jpg

Plenty of these guys kept us busy though:

NakinaSept2011008.jpg

With turnover already complete the walleye were predictably deep. After sniffing around a couple of different spots I finally stumbled onto a gold mine.

A large flat that topped out at 30' surrounded by very deep water coughed up fish after fish for us. Large live minnows on either a jig head or Lindy rig helped us put over 60 fish in the boat in less than 2 hours.

While none were huge, they were stocky and thick. A pleasure to catch and even better to eat. :)

NakinaSept2011011.jpg

NakinaSept2011013.jpg

NakinaSept2011014.jpg

Here's Ferg landing one of many. He's such a personable guy LOL!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9PSgnmIxnL0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The following day some really nasty weather rolled, rain, sleet, wet snow and high winds up to 60km. Was pretty much a write off fishing wise, but Ferg switched gears and made the best of the situation.

Unlike myself Ferg is an avid hunter and took to the trails with his 20 gauge looking for birds.

Now I have to say one of the reasons I've been late with this report is Ferg's procrastination. He was supposed to send me a whole bunch of great photos of his birds and the areas he hunted but I'm still waiting. :)

In his words though it was the best grouse shooting of his life and he was lamenting the fact he didn't have a dog with him.

Open grass land with scattered thickets of alders and scrubby bush held enormous numbers of birds.

The usual spruce grouse and ruffed grouse were equally abundant, but what really blew him away was the amount of sharptails.

As he said he has friends that fly to Saskatchewan to hunt them and their presence in good numbers was a big shock.

This lame picture is the only one on my camera, but still better than nothing.

NakinaSept2011033.jpg

We were there at the start of the archery season for moose as well and Ferg was lamenting the fact he hadn't brought his bow.

That day he saw 7 moose, 4 bulls and 3 cows, and all but one at close range.

Driving home the point of a huge moose population, 2 hunters from Guelph had a young bull hanging when we pulled into the camp that night.

They had checked in the night before and had hunted for 2 hours the next day before dropping their animal.

NakinaSept2011097.jpg

For me the day was mostly a waste. I tried fishing the main lake for a couple of hours, and although I did catch walleye, the wind and waves were just too much.

No complaints though, that night we feasted on fresh walleye and grouse as we planned the next days outing.

On tap next was a bit of brook trout fishing. The following morning John led us down a maze of logging roads enroute to the trout lake. One minute snow was falling, the next the sky was blue.

A tad bit changeable the weather is up there.

NakinaSept2011037.jpg

NakinaSept2011043.jpg

The landing at the lake was a beauty, sandy and deep.

NakinaSept2011046.jpg

NakinaSept2011049.jpg

It was a gorgeous little lake, crystal clear and loaded with tons of structure. I was fairly confident we'd catch fish, but as I warned Ferg we may have to search for them. Unlike the spring brookies aren't usually spread all over the place. On lakes in the fall they're many times concentrated into one or two very specific spots.

Usually where the upwelling springs are seeping in.

Of course I immediately hit a nice female within a hundred yards of the landing LOL!

NakinaSept2011051.jpg

We thought maybe this time they would be everywhere, but alas no.

We fished hard for a couple of hours finally making our way to the very end of a long narrow arm of the lake.

In one 50' stretch of shoreline the brookies were stacked like cordwood and hitting with abandon.

Although not just anything. I couldn't buy a hit on my usual spinners and spoons, even tipped with a worm.

Ferg on the other hand was nailing them on tiny neutrally bouyant stickbaits. He'd cast it out, give it a pull, a little twitch, another pull, then BAM they'd smash it on the pause every time.

It's not very often I'm forced to change lures. This was one of those times. :D

NakinaSept2011057.jpg

NakinaSept2011058.jpg

NakinaSept2011060.jpg

NakinaSept2011063.jpg

NakinaSept2011064.jpg

NakinaSept2011065.jpg

NakinaSept2011066.jpg

NakinaSept2011068.jpg

NakinaSept2011069.jpg

NakinaSept2011070.jpg

NakinaSept2011072.jpg

NakinaSept2011074.jpg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wkHyUn9Ft3g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The numbers were absolutely insane, I'm not even going to tell you how many. I'll just say it was a whole lot of fun!

We each kept a limit that day and later that night feasted on fresh trout.

NakinaSept2011077.jpg

Check out the meat on these babies. Doesn't get much better. :)

NakinaSept2011079.jpg

We had one more full day to do whatever we wanted. Ferg was going bird hunting again, there was no way anything would sway him from that.

Being along it was a pretty easy decision to go trout fishing again.

The next morning Ferg dropped me off at the lake and we went our separate ways.

It was glorious day, stable weather with sunny skies and a gentle breeze.

It couldn't have been more perfect beyond the fact I had neglected to bring my fly rod (man was I wishing I had it).

Was still fun though.

Naturally I made a beeline for yesterdays hotspot. Interestingly when I arrived steam could be seen billowing from several spots along the productive stretch of shoreline:

NakinaSept2011094.jpg

Obviously springs were seeping in here and answered the question why all the trout were there!

Man did I catch a lot of fish...

NakinaSept2011085.jpg

NakinaSept2011086.jpg

NakinaSept2011089.jpg

NakinaSept2011092.jpg

NakinaSept2011093.jpg

NakinaSept2011095.jpg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HdZespGd6Zk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not surprisingly Fergy had a banner day as well, once again easily filling his limit of birds and putting in a good days walk as well.

Once again he saw several moose, one of which was apparantly a massive bull.

At some point he'll send me all of his photos and if you guys are interested I'll update my post with them.

So that was pretty much it.

John tried hard to convince us to stay for just one more day, and it was a pretty tempting offer.

Wababamiga lake is a massive body of water that lies just northeast of his camp.

In his words there's nothing on it, no camps, cottages or lodges.

Asked him what the fishing was like, he couldn't tell us. Said he's never fished it and that no one else locally does either.

He had wanted to haul a boat and motor in there for Ferg and I to suss it out for him.

Sometimes having a job and being responsible sucks LOL!

Ah well, that little adventure will have to wait 'till next year.

Looking at Wababamiga on the map I have no reason to doubt it'll be a fish factory. Every other lake north of Nakina is.

All in all the trip was a blast. Here's my honest impression: The fishing on the main lake is good obviously and well worth a trip in itself.

I do believe that seasonally it can be very good, especially late May, early June.

John's location is a FANTASTIC base from which you can explore and fish many nearby back lakes.

That in my opinion is the real worth of this great camp.

Obviously if you're a hunter Lower Twin is someplace worth looking into.

I guess the biggest bonus of Lower Twin Lakes Lodge is the fact that it's CHEAP.

Did I mention it was cheap? Seriously, most anyone could afford a trip here.

Anyone that's wanted to fish north of Nakina but can't afford to fly in, this a GREAT option.

John and his wife Karen are both fantastic people and great hosts.

I'll be back again next year myself for sure. A couple days on Wababamiga is way too tempting.

If anyone's interested John and Karens contact info is on their website:

http://www.lowertwinlakes.com/

www.lowertwinlakes.com

Cheers, Mike

Incredible colors on those Brookies Mike. They look so much like Bunks Char photos. While working in Nakina a few years back, we'd get a Walleye limit in minutes in the river connecting Twin Lakes. Thanks for the memories. And the report.

I really enjoyed reading that.

I've never been moose hunting. but hacking the lower part of the legs off seems very common. Must make it easier to get out of the bush.

Great report and pics.

Thanks!

Edited by N.A.W

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed!

That's awesome Mike, some beauty specks!!! I can't believe it, but I've fished that lake with my buddy before we flew into Eddies...too cool. Thanks for sharing.

Jason

Small world eh buddy? Did you guys do well when you fished it?

Once again great report. Those trout are beautiful. Yes I know my report(s) are well over due. I just added another chapter this week too.

I was wondering about you. Where you been at?

Hey Solo

Does the outfitter know what species are in Wababimiga?

Walleye and pike my friend.

Wow Mike! I've seen you with lots of pike and walleye before! But those brookies are incredible! Looked like an awesome time....wish I could have gone in with you on that trip!

Cliff, next time I'll give you a bit more notice. And trust me there will be a next time.

Incredible colors on those Brookies Mike. They look so much like Bunks Char photos. While working in Nakina a few years back, we'd get a Walleye limit in minutes in the river connecting Twin Lakes. Thanks for the memories. And the report.

Dang I tried that bridge this spring but couldn't come up with anything. Thanks for the report Mike, worth the wait. 5 days for Nakina seems pretty rushed but when your hardcore a day of driving there and back makes up for three great days of fishing.

Looks like and Awesome trip, and for the most part some nice Fall weather....gotta love the adversity the fall can offer.

Funny how picky those polka dot beauties can be on lure choice yet when you find the right one...it can turn into a frenzie.

Cheers,