NF Tire repair cost

HTHM

I picked up a nail in my tire and went a well-know tire dealer, (not CTC), to get it repaired. After the repair was done I was presented with a bill for $42.35. He dismounted the tire and patched it from the inside, remounted and balanced the tire. Is that unreasonable? He did not offer to plug it as that is not a "recommended" procedure for repairing a leak.

Edited by HTHM

Go to ctc/walmart/princess auto ect.

Get yourself a plug kit.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoRepairAccessories/SpecialtyRepair/PRD~0092139P/Victor+Car+Tubeless+Tire+Repair+Kit.jsp?locale=en

I have used these plugs for over 20 years and never had 1 leak.

At 1 time I had a minimum of 13 in each side wall on my van, until I caught the little bugger that was playing with an ice pick.

Get yourself a plug kit.

http://www.canadiant...t.jsp?locale=en

At 1 time I had a minimum of 13 in each side wall on my van, until I caught the little bugger that was playing with an ice pick.

Musta been real pretty runnin down the highway with little "warts" all over your tire wallswhistling.gif

Get yourself a plug kit.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoRepairAccessories/SpecialtyRepair/PRD~0092139P/Victor+Car+Tubeless+Tire+Repair+Kit.jsp?locale=en

Try to explain it to a cop after you blow yer tire out, and cause havic on the road. They are not permitted any more.

So in the side wall eh. Yer a brave man.

Edited by Misfish

x2 wow. it's not like you're looking for a freebie but seriously...that would be the last time I took anything to his shop. If it was my relo, I'd have done it for free or at least give a break but that's me

ps-didn't know plugs are now illegal. Last time I was in Noëlville with a slow leak, they plugged it up nice, too bad. anyone know the reasoning ?

It's not at all unreasonable...40$ or so seems to be about the going rate.

As for a plug kit.... Hmmm... good to have in a jam but should be for temporary use only...

I used to be a Tire Buster at a few shops and recently quit selling auto parts... we supplied garages with their tire repair supplies... as far as I know the only legal tire repair in Ontario on LT or P or ST series tire is a Combi-Patch or Patch/Plug....

Looks like this...

MushroomPlugPatch.jpg

Garages might sell the unit for 10$ or more depending on the size of the puncture..

40$ or so is worth it.. consider that the tire is re-inflated,dunked in a tank to find the leak/s, deflated, put on a machine ,taken off the wheel, put in a Tire-Vise , puncture hole is reamed and ground down from the inside, cleaned , adhesive is added, the 10$ or more Patch/Plug is pulled through the reamed puncture hole and stuck onto the adhesive and is then passed under a variety of rollers.... put back onto the wheel..re-inflated, dunked again in a tank.. and put on another machine to balance it....

And as mentioned above... if you bring in a car-less wheel/tire the cost would probably be cheaper.

Randy

:canadian: