wasp nest removal - NF

GBW

Hey all.

I need some ideas on how to get a wasp nest down from the peak of my house that is 40' off the ground. I don't have a ladder to get up that high and I don't want to go out the door on the 2nd floor (it's now ready for winter).

n539966252_496548_8051.jpg

Are there any telescopic poles that long out there? Thanks.

G

there are painting poles and hydro switching poles that are very long - you could just bash it with one.

another idea is a hoseline or pressure washer....

i was gonna say 12 guage with some 8or 9 shot but its tough on the soffet...

I was even thinking of my paintball gun or an air gun with the new plastic bb's. :whistling:

Power washer!

GBW, you have thing for wildWife!

I tried the PW from on top a 12' ladder and no luck.

how did you know my wife was/is like that?!?!? you been talking to Wayne?!?!??! :blink:

Where do you live!!?? In the middle of the bush ???blink.gifrofl2.gif Geese, hornets....Sheesh

X2 for the power washer.Set to full stream.Make sure no one is around, and you have a clear escape route planned out. When they are pissed, they can follow you for a mile.

Where do you live!!?? In the middle of the bush ???blink.gifrofl2.gif Geese, hornets....Sheesh

let's not forget the Yote's, the rainbow & brook trout and and the other crazy amount of other birds.

I don't live in the bush either but I would love too... :whistling:

only other thing i tried once Geoff, I had Wasps once, took a very long painters pole, tied a big wad of newspaper to the end.Lite the paper and let burn for a couple of seconds. Snuff out the flame and place the smoking newsparer directly below the nest.It will flush them out, but be carefull they dont come after you.I had a friend with me riding shotgun with the power washer, picking them off as they came at me.

Other option is the Orkin Man.

12 gauge and a shell filled with course table salt; we use to do that when we found nests in the tobacco kilns. It would mar the paint a bit but not hurt the wood soffit of the building.

I know it’s your house; so make up two shells and take a pot shot at something you don’t care about first and check it out?

Dan.

Wasps become dormant at around 50F (10C). Can you wait until the weekend? Forecast temps are supposed to go down to 4C on Sunday morning. That way you can get on the roof and knock it off the house without having to worry about them coming out an attacking you!

BTW...if you try that, give me a call...I want to videotape it...LOL :stretcher::whistling:

Wasps become dormant at around 50F (10C). Can you wait until the weekend? Forecast temps are supposed to go down to 4C on Sunday morning. That way you can get on the roof and knock it off the house without having to worry about them coming out an attacking you!

BTW...if you try that, give me a call...I want to videotape it...LOL :stretcher::whistling:

bees.gif

You'll only have another take its place. Cliff is right about the temperature though. When the temps get to the low 40's/high 30's, wasps get lethargic. They'll stay in the nest and won't move. If you don't want another nest being built there next year, they sell plastic nests that you hang in the place of the one you're removing. Wasps are territorial and will not populate an area where other wasps have settled. Oh and regardless of the temperature, the best time to be handling a wasp's nest is after dark.

Being its attached to your house I highly recommend against any flaming options :whistling:

and from the roof is not a great idea incase you miss and they get pissed off....good luck scambling down a latter with 100 hornets on your trail.

Painters pole has my vote...plenty of distance between you and the next and it will be effective, not to mention you can re-use the pole next year when they re build LOL...

spray it with a hose until its soaked, at about 6 oclock, on a night its going to be close to freezing overnight - then throw tennis balls at it until it falls down - put a garbage can right under it and let it fall right in! tie up the bag and off she goes!

It's kinda taking the long, roundabout route and more work but if you have attic crawl space behind the nest, drill a hole, stick a straightened coat hanger through it and whack away. Like I said, not the simplest or easiest way but that's me ;)

or buy an RC helicopter, buzz it close to the nest and chop away with the blades, might as well have some fun no ?

ok, so I took all the advise here with a grain of salt and decided to do what I figured was best.

took some older paintballs and put some gas in. had a buddy hold up a lit blowtorch while I pulled the trigger. I got it in one shot, yeah baby!!!

Here is the final result. :whistling:

1184237893_df868e52b6.jpg