Got My Aurora Trout

cl_fishin

If you don't mind sharing, what did you get it on? I don't have a fly rod (yet) and it looks to me like maybe that's what you used? I haven't decided if I'm going to try again once more this year or not.. Actually, I probably won't. I still don't think they exist in Liberty.

I flogged the lake with everything that I would use for Brookies, Spinners, Spoons, small cranks, flies, and small minnowbaits, all to no avail. So, I went back to the truck grabbed my float rod/centerpin combo that I had with me and riggged it up. I used a float, a few shot, 3lb Fluorcarbon leader a small hook and a Gulp bait, threw it close to the biggest branchiest laydown tree in the lake and waited. With all the gear I had with me it came down to keep it simple, I also believe they are more accessable in the fall because the cooler temps allow them to forage in shallower water, so its easier to to target them around cover like wood etc.

Edited by cl_fishin

I flogged the lake with everything that I would use for Brookies, Spinners, Spoons, small cranks, flies, and small minnowbaits, all to no avail. So, I went back to the truck grabbed my float rod/centerpin combo that I had with me and riggged it up. I used a float, a few shot, 3lb Fluorcarbon leader a small hook and a Gulp bait, threw it close to the biggest branchiest laydown tree in the lake and waited. With all the gear I had with me it came down to keep it simple, I also believe they are more accessable in the fall because the cooler temps allow them to forage in shallower water, so its easier to to target them around cover like wood etc.

Thanks for the info. I've felt fall would be the best time as well. Three Thanksgiving weekend trips to the Timmins area over the last ten years have ended up in skunkings. Going to have to try still fishing a technique I have not used.

Hey cl_fishin, what time of day was it when you went? I know early in the season you have to get down deep and worms work best, and, I was told by the one guy there who caught one (along with two others who were with him) that you had to be there first thing in the morning. I'm guessing it maybe changed now that the temperature is going down? If I don't have to get up at 4am, that increases my will to try again.

Congrats, again, anyhow. I can't tell if your success is encouraging to me, or discouraging. :lol:

What a catch! Once in a lifetime catch for many of us... Very jealous.

Dana: I'm betting you'll be out there this weekend after seeing these photos haha

I doubt it.. I don't have a fishing partner this weekend and I promised the wife I wouldn't make her go back there because it's hard on her, getting up at 4am, sitting in the car for an hour and a half or so, rough road, etc. My cousin is unavailable, and my other local friend says it's too early to fish and he's scared of canoes or something. :mellow:

At the same time, I can't fail if I don't try! haha

But it's tempting, that's for sure. I do plan to try for brookies ASAP though, since I missed out on lakers this year and that disgusting ice is coming sooner than I want it too... (Maybe I'll learn to love it.)